: Question About Igloo Cooler

willjones4
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
You know those round Igloos? Would those keep water hot? How long? Anyone got experience with this?

Davids78Bronco
01-25-2007, 12:14 AM
No experience, but I'll say no, because you're going to want the reflective glass liners, that you typically find in a thermos, rather than the plastic lining those Igloos have

Myself, I never really cared for the plastic lined coolers, of any sort, because the drinks always seemed to taste like the plastic - bleah

MikE2
01-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Are you licking the outside of the drink container?

Davids78Bronco
01-25-2007, 12:46 AM
yeah, I fish-lip the spigot, too

MikE2
01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
You look on Igloo's site?
http://www.igloo-store.com/category.asp?CAT=iglbeverage

I looked for a minute and all they talk about is how long it will keep anything cold, not hot.

tarustwins
01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
They work better for keeping stuff cold, if you want to keep something hot, you would need to go with a glass or stainless steel lined thermos, plastic will work, but not for long, plus the heat tends to cause the plastic to "out gas" meaning it leaks chemicals into the contents.

willjones4
01-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I, too, looked on igloos site and didnt see anything about keeping things hot. We are all going camping and I wanted to fill one up with hot cocoa for the kiddies. Guess, I ned to think of something else...

MikE2
01-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Use a coffee thermos. How much hot cocoa can someone drink?

metal1313
01-25-2007, 05:54 PM
kids...alot you could fill it up cold and heat it up in a kettle real camping style hahah

Leardc
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Travel Trailer :thumbup

bmc69
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
We use the smaller round Igloo coolers to keep soup warm all the time..works great. We take it out on the boat..

I also use regular Igloo 'box' coolers to keep crabs hot after I cook a bushel..they stay hot, plenty hot, for about 4 hours or so at least...

flourman
01-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Back in college we used those to keep hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps warm when we tailgated during the cold games. It worked pretty well, or we were just oblivious to it.....

willjones4
01-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I bought a cooler today. Gonna try it out. Me and the family are going to the Mardi Gras parades we have here. Its a good time, nothing like New Orleans used to be but about 100,000 show up...usually pretty cold, too.

EDIT: here's the email I got from Igloo on this--->

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent email.

The beverage coolers are not recommended for use with hot liquids. The hot
liquid can cause the insulation in the cooler to expand causing the liner or
outside body to crack. If you plan on using hot liquids this will void your 1
year warranty.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Jim
Consumer Services
On Line Store Igloo

hmthesing
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I've got a plastic Coleman cooler - around 10 gallons or so - sitting out in my garage. I filled it up with the hottest water I could to soak my differential in for cleaning. This was last week, overnight was around 0 degrees out. Came back to check on it 24 hours later (around 6PM) and it was still pretty warm. I'd say when I dumped it out, it was about 70 degree water. (I had checked it the next morning, about 12 hours later, and it was still steaming.)

NEVER expected it to stay that warm. I was actually worried it might freeze overnight. Needless to say, I'm definitely impressed with the plastic coolers.