Truck will not move out of park ??? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Truck will not move out of park ???

94 XLT BRONCO
11-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Its not a Bronco, but a Ford. I have a Ford Van for work (1998 E-350) That all of a sudden will not shift out of park? The ABS light comes on. If you disconnect the battery, turn on the ignition, depress the brake, if will shift. So I shifted it to netural, hooked the battery back up, and started it. Will work fine in all gears untill I put it back in park, then it will not release out of park unless I disconnect the battery again. And like I said, the ABS light is on now?? I checked all fuses and such. I looked around for any loose wiring or relays related to depressing the brake pedal to shif or the ABS. This is driving me nuts and never had this before? Any ideas??? Thanks....:banghead :banghead

bnkrtstk
11-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Check the fuse or the brake lights, or the brake light switch. It's a common problem. Oh you did that, never mind. :banghead

Fireguy50
11-14-2003, 04:50 PM
This sounds bad to me. :duh
You might have a trany sensor shot, or the interface stuff is wacked. Either way it sounds like a trip to a profesional.

BoulderBronco
11-14-2003, 04:51 PM
It sounds like a sensor/swithch issue for your brakes. I don't know where it is but there is a sensor that allows you to shift out of park when the brake is pressed. The is probably something wrong with that sensor. Either it is not getting power or is going bad. I would contact Ford and ask them exactly where it is.

94 XLT BRONCO
11-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Fireguy50
This sounds bad to me. :duh
You might have a trany sensor shot, or the interface stuff is wacked. Either way it sounds like a trip to a profesional.

Thats what I was afraid of. I called the local Ford dealer service counter. Of course they said the have no idea and to bring it in of course $$$

bnkrtstk
11-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Can you get it to move by turning the key to acc or on and shifting it into N? Or does the battery have to be disconnected?

94 XLT BRONCO
11-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by bnkrtstk
Can you get it to move by turning the key to acc or on and shifting it into N? Or does the battery have to be disconnected?

Yep, I can move it around fine after I disconnect it and get it out of park. Just cant ever put it back in park. So for now I just park it in netural and put the emerg brake on.

Tweeter
11-14-2003, 05:18 PM
I had a problem like that with a Work truck. It was F150 1997. I had pop the fuse for the Brake lights. I am sure you have look, I did not see you say anywhere that you look to make sure all the brake lights came on. We had a cap on the bed and the wire for the 3rd Brake light had shorted out on the bed of the truck and pop the fuse for the brake lights. the Truck would not come out of park. Put new fuse in work great.

94 XLT BRONCO
11-14-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tweeter
I had a problem like that with a Work truck. It was F150 1997. I had pop the fuse for the Brake lights. I am sure you have look, I did not see you say anywhere that you look to make sure all the brake lights came on. We had a cap on the bed and the wire for the 3rd Brake light had shorted out on the bed of the truck and pop the fuse for the brake lights. the Truck would not come out of park. Put new fuse in work great.

Thank you :thumbup That was the first thing I checked, and all the other fuses to just in case.....

bnkrtstk
11-14-2003, 05:24 PM
94 Since the brake light switch,fuse,is good and the brake light are working, it sounds like the shift interlock solenoid, you can disconnect it, it sits on column, it's a little round gizmo with a small connector.

Call me before 5 I have Mitchell on Demand open, or I can fax it the diagram to you if needed

bnkrtstk
11-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Some vehicles had and override feature:

Copied directly from Mitchell
Emergenct Override Feature (if equipped)

Ensure shift lever is locked in Park. Use screwdriver to lift small access cover at upper right corner of shift bezel. Insert screwdriver vertically into access hole and push down to release lock lever. Ensure shift lever is released from Park.

miesk5
11-14-2003, 06:19 PM
yo,
bnkrtstk has it...
here is more from another forum:
"Posted by: No1Truck
I had the same problem in my '97 2wd ex. cab. If you encounter this problem and need to get somewhere NOW, look in your owner's manual under "fuses" and pull the fuse that controls the "brake-shift interlock". I believe it is #6. It also controls air suspension and affects the interior lights when getting in and out while truck is running. You will be able to get it in gear and go where you want to go. However, the root of the problem in my truck was the wires leading to the brake switch. Get on the floor on the drivers' side and look carefully at the wiring leading to the brake switch(on the brake pedal). The wires were fatigued and broke right at the switch. I had brake lights intermittently, when the broken wire happened to touch inside the insulation. Whatever you do, make sure you have brake lights before you drive - the cruise control will not disengage without the signal from the brake switch. You can rewire the harness and give yourself a couple more inches of slack in the wires so that they won't fatigue from bending right behind the switch."
And as bnkrtstk also wrote:
from Ford:
"Moving a locked gearshift
Automatic transaxle vehicles are equipped with a shift-lock safety feature that prevents the gearshift from being moved out of Park without the brake pedal depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift out of Park with the brake pedal depressed:
1. Continue depressing the brake pedal, and remove the shift-lock override cap with a 2.5 cm (1 inch) or longer screwdriver
2. Insert the screwdriver into the shift-lock override opening and push down
3. Push and hold the thumb button
4. Move the gearshift
If it is necessary to use the above procedure to move the gearshift, it is possible that a fuse has blown and the vehicle’s brake lamps may not be operating properly
For Ford trucks, if the vehicle will not shift from Park with the brake pedal depressed:

Apply parking brake
Remove key
Insert key and rotate one position clockwise (ignition OFF)
Depress the brake pedal and shift to Neutral. (If the vehicle is shifted to Park, repeat the previous steps)
Start the vehicle."
and:
"The BOO switch (brake on/off) is the cause for concern. An easy way to check that is to remove the connector from the switch and put a jumper wire across the connector pins. If the brake lights come on then you have a bad BOO. One can be purchased from your local Ford dealer or from most parts stores. They are relatively inexpensive, about 10-15 bucks last time I checked. The reason the vehicle will not come out of park is a safety issue. The brake light circut runs through the shift interlock switch. If the shift interlock doesn't receive power from the brake circut, it wont function thus keeping the driver from shifting into any gear. Hope this helps.

* This post was edited 7/19/2003 3:51pm by Sammy_3 *"

bnkrtstk
11-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, what's the verdict?

94 XLT BRONCO
11-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Well, what's the verdict?

Im gona kick my guys in the ass :twak
They told me they checked all the fuses :mad: I sent it to the mechanic I use for the company today, he told me a fuse (for the ABS) was missing ?? Just goes to show ya, If ya want something done right....do it yourself!! (Hard to find good help these days)

Thank you guys for all your help :thumbup

bnkrtstk
11-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out.:thumbup

stangmata
11-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 94 XLT BRONCO
Thank you :thumbup That was the first thing I checked, and all the other fuses to just in case.....

Im gona kick my guys in the ass
They told me they checked all the fuses

Well who actually checked the fuses? :goodfinge

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

DogFuzz
11-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Well, it sounds like they checked all the fuses that were there. Is it a loose fuse holder? Or maybe one of your guys just needed a fuse.

94 XLT BRONCO
11-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by DogFuzz
Well, it sounds like they checked all the fuses that were there. Is it a loose fuse holder? Or maybe one of your guys just needed a fuse.

That must have been the case. I had my man that drives the truck check the fuses. As you said, some how a fuse got missing...who knows...I have a fleet of 11 ford vans along with another 11 "children" to watch over. They do embarrass you sometimes. Oh well. Thanks again. :brownbag

bnkrtstk
11-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Look at the bright side, two weeks from now you'll be in a stand, and those 11 "children" will be the furthest thing from your mind.

94 XLT BRONCO
11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Look at the bright side, two weeks from now you'll be in a stand, and those 11 "children" will be the furthest thing from your mind.

OH YESS I cant wait ..... My one get away from it all. :goodfinge

I just hate having made this embarrasing tread now....... :banghead

bnkrtstk
11-18-2003, 01:03 PM
I just hate having made this embarrasing tread now....... :banghead

I wouldn't sweat it, we're all human. :thumbup

bnkrtstk
02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
I have to bump this thread. I had posted my work number for 94XLT to call if needed. Since I forgot to remove it I have received a number of calls on it, the latest being over the weekend. It comes up on a Google search. Too bad people can't seem to read the BEFORE 5:00 part.