Thinking About Fox Air Shocks? [Archive] - FSB Forums

: Thinking About Fox Air Shocks?

J-Ville-Stang
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I Have seen a few rigs with Fox shocks on them. My question is anyone here run them? I would like to put them on my D44 SAS swap

If anyone is confused I am talking about the nitro charged shocks that need no spring.

I drive my BKO on the road a decent amount but it is just a fun rig for me not a DD how do the shocks handle on the road?

ToddACimer
03-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I dont think you can run air shocks on the street

J-Ville-Stang
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I have been told you can but you need a sway bar to cut down on the roll.

The more and more I serch and read The more it looks like i am going to coil and shock route!

ToddACimer
03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Nothing wrong with coils and shocks. how much lift are you planning on having?

78 beast
03-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I like the fox air shocks they are sweet and you don't have to run coils then. A buddy of mine runs them with rockwells and 42" tires.

yikes
03-21-2007, 11:57 PM
The air shocks currently available are designed for much lighter rigs. I spoke with a Fox rep. at a local show that suggested a maximum 3k or 3.5k? lb sprung weight for their biggest(2.5"?) air shock. They are not designed to be cycled like an emulsion or reservoir shock either.

J-Ville-Stang
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I am going to run the 9" springs from JBG if i dont go this way.

I am actually builing this bronco for me and that f100 i posted up for a friend at the same time.

both will get 38" TSL's or boggers

We live in FL so mostly mud and trails is all we have. But really want to go to telico! as soon as i get them finished!

Dustin
03-22-2007, 02:21 PM
The air shocks currently available are designed for much lighter rigs. I spoke with a Fox rep. at a local show that suggested a maximum 3k or 3.5k? lb sprung weight for their biggest(2.5"?) air shock. They are not designed to be cycled like an emulsion or reservoir shock either.

Yeah they are not quite up to the task of holding up a bronco. they work great on jeeps and buggys. They can be used on rigs that see the road too but you need to have a good anti sway bar to keep it manageable.

screwatts
03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I have 2 2.5 18 inch travel in the rear of my 79 . No leafs and a 3 link

The Von
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
I have 2 2.5 18 inch travel in the rear of my 79 . No leafs and a 3 link

pictures! street driven?

screwatts
03-23-2007, 03:41 AM
I just finished it before i left for iraq. I dont have any pics here with me but i get back home in may and ill be posting all kinds of pics then. I dont have the steering or brakes hooked up yet but will get it all done as soon as i get back. Thanks for your intrest

screwatts
05-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Heres a few ill take more today. Just so you know its going up 3 more inches ( all suspesion ) And i am fully aware the rear tires are on backwards
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o17/watts85af/100_0925.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o17/watts85af/100_0924.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o17/watts85af/100_0923.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o17/watts85af/100_0922.jpg

plug ugly
05-21-2007, 04:03 PM
cool rig, keep your head down.

Andy351
05-21-2007, 04:04 PM
i don't like airshocks. they have a strong tendency to unload and extend all the way in just about all circumstances. i've talked to guys who drive them on the street and they do cool tricks like entend all the way when you get on the gas so then you can't see in front of you and droop out when you go down hills and make it so you want to endo. sounds like just the thing you would want on your daily driver, a sway bar won't help those issues.

BigBlue 94
05-21-2007, 04:27 PM
screwatts is that a early 90's grille on your rig? looks pretty sweet

Archer66
05-21-2007, 05:03 PM
cool rig, keep your head down.

I'm with Plug... Cool ride.

Thanks for being there for us and keep your head down and your powder dry.

reptillikus
05-21-2007, 05:44 PM
i don't like airshocks. they have a strong tendency to unload and extend all the way in just about all circumstances. i've talked to guys who drive them on the street and they do cool tricks like entend all the way when you get on the gas so then you can't see in front of you and droop out when you go down hills and make it so you want to endo. sounds like just the thing you would want on your daily driver, a sway bar won't help those issues.

Ive spoken to a few competitors who have all said the same thing. Coilovers still seem to be the best item out there.

screwatts
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I cant afford them bitches

screwatts
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Oh and i just got home friday

sar450
05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Glad you made it home and cool rig.

bigblockbuggy
05-21-2007, 10:07 PM

This is BS, if they unload just under acceleration, or deceleration, the shocks are not at fault, it is a piss poor suspension design. They do tend to unload when you drop a tire over a ledge or something, but it is not scary in any way shape or form. I am running Fox 2.0 16" air shocks on all 4 corners of my BB powered buggy. I have never jumped on the gas or brake and had my suspension unload one way or another. It's all about anti-squat and anti-dive, and that is all based on the suspension, not the shocks. I find the air shocks to be incredibly capable off road, and one of the most stable, sticky feeling suspensions I have ever run.

Now, all that said, they are not recommended for street driving, not because of the higher amount of chassis/body roll (this can be mostly solved with a sway bar as mentioned above), but because they are not designed for high speed constant cycling like your typical gas charged or emulsion shock. At high speeds these shocks can get hot fast, some say the heat can cause pressure fluctuations and actually change ride height, not to mention, the hotter a shock gets, the less dampening it will do. Anyhow, air shocks are intended for low speed light weight applications. In time, I am sure this will change. The 2.0's can handle about 750 lbs per corner sprung weight at a reasonable ride height (the amout of weight they can support increases exponetialy as the shock is compressed, ride height has a huge bearing on what pressure N2 you run, and how much weight they can support). The 2.5's are easily capable of over 1000 pounds per corner. I have heard up to 1500 pounds per shock.

Check out this write up in pirate's tech section: clicky (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html)

There is more information there than you will know what to do with. I am extremely happy with the 2.0's, however my buggy is not street driven. Coil overs would probably be the best choice since they are far more tunable and via both the coil spring rate(s) and N2 pressure in the shock.

Good luck on your decision.

Later,
Jason

Dustin
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM

thats exactly what I was thinking they would do, i was wanting to run them on my next project and am toying about running a leaf springs, links with coilovers or a radias arm setup with air shocks. I have heard mixed reviews on them so not sure if thats the best route or not. The nice thing is they are clean and simple.

broncomania
05-21-2007, 11:04 PM
im going air shocks on my new build. a stretched 1974 one ton bronco.
cage off road set up in the front and a 4 link with air shocks in the rear.
5.0 on propane . 38" tsl sx double beadlocks / full cage.

screwatts
05-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah my bronco isnt street driven AT ALL