Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

New BDS Lift with a bad rumble.

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Templedh54 
#1 ·
I just took delivery of my Bronco that had a 6" BDS lift installed.

The Shop that did it is a great shop and reputable. I feel they are good guys and probably did a good job. I like them a lot!

As soon as I pulled out of the lot I felt a very noticeable rumble and shaking that remained there from 3 mph to pretty much every speed. It kinda sounds and feels like you are going over the rumble strips on the side of the highway but maybe not so severe. You feel it in the seat and in the steering wheel and when you are not applying the breaks.

The Bronco was a really nice 1995 with only 92,000 miles on it. I just drove it across the state and it rode like brand new and super quiet with zero shakes.
The same tires are on it as before the lift.

So to say the least I was hugely disappointing. It still needs an alignment and I am hoping that takes care of the problem but am skeptical.

They rebuilt the rear drive shaft for $300 and I am wondering if they knew about the rumble and thought that would cure it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue or what I should have them look into. Another description of the vibration is that it feels like something is leaning against the tire knobies as the wheel turns making a rumbling vibration.

Thanks!

See less See more
#10 ·
you did turn around and take it right back to the shop?

even tho you say they are nice guys,which im sure they are, they probably wont cover you neglegently driving truck knowing something was wrong as soon as you pulled out of the lot.

if you havent already, id go back sooner than later

#12 ·
agreed on taking it back to the shop.
Something else is wrong there i think. After I lifted mine, I drove it to the alignment shop with no vibrations or anything. My tires where like this \ / and I am sure the toe was off too. My truck also had 180k on it when it was lifted, so I am sure yours should be in better shape then mine as far as wear on the steering components.

#13 ·
For sure I called them in less than 5 minutes after leaving the shop. He said that we would get the new tires on and then get it aligned as a starting point. Then look into the vibration.

I also own a small business that produces sometimes finicky products. I just want to be careful in dealing with the shop because I understand how hard it can be when customers are not satisfied or something was not completed correctly.

However, I do believe that they need to make it right, no doubt about it! I just want to work with them rather than against them. I think that is a good tip for everyone!

But the vibration is totally unacceptable! Thanks for all the tips! I feel better educated about the situation!

#14 ·
Your going to love this!

I take back everything nice I had to say.

So the rumbling growl started to really concern me. So this morning I called the shop and very nicely and pleasantly asked if I could stop buy to let the owner do a 3-5 minute test drive (Friday). I told him I just wanted him to know what I was talking about before too much time had gone by.

Well with some awkward and defensive silence he said he was too busy today and that I should come back on Monday.

I may be wrong, but the writing is on the wall. It seems like he has my money ($2200) and 5 minutes is way too much time to ask him to troubleshoot a faulty install. After I hung up I just about went through the roof! Right then and there I wanted nothing more to do with this guy!

I took the Bronco to the other local 4X4 shop and they pulled a mechanic out of the shop and gladly gave me a test drive. I totally disclosed the situation to them. The said that it was definitely not the alignment and that the rear needed different shims to align the drive shaft which was instantly visible as being incorrect to him.

The said they could take care of it for $45 in better shims and 1 hour of labor. I said DONE!

By the way, the previous shop charged me $300 for a drive shaft rebuild that was probably not the necessary and then charged me $60 for EACH shim they replaced totaling $120. :<

All that owner needed to do is say, "Sure, Come on in and we will take care of it!" and I would have been happy! As you can tell, I try to be nice and reasonable, which in this case got me screwed. I can't even stomach looking at this guys shop!

A note to shop owners: Customers simply want a quality job for a reasonable price. If you get upset when customers are not satisfied with work that is not completed properly, then please get another job and close shop. Your work and customer satisfaction should start at time of payment not end there! Reasonable customers are typically willing to work with you to get the job done right but you must put your best foot forward and be proud of your work!

So That's the end of the story. I am even going to have the new shop re-torque the lift bolts. I don't trust this other guy at all.

TIP OF THE DAY: Test drive your rig before you make final payment! I was stupid not to!

#17 ·
I thought about putting the name out there but here is why I don't.

There might be a chance that the guy is having an off day. Maybe his kid or wife got diagnosed with cancer, maybe he is getting a divorce or something is happening in his life that is causing him to not behave properly. If I knew for sure that he was a total ass then I would put the shop name up in an instant. But I just don't know all the facts, at least not enough to damn the guy.

That does not excuse him from his actions toward me and I will never go back but we need to be careful of malicious slander.

What I will say is that I live in Western Washington. The new shop that is helping me out seems to be full of very nice and professional guys. And the prices seem right. That shop is Northridge 4X4.

I hope that is fair to everyone!

#20 ·
I might do that. But all they will say is that they never got the chance to fix it themselves and they don't need to pay.

The whole idea of bad customer service, I think, is over their head! I don't think they will even know what i am talking about nor will they care. Hence the problem in the first place.

I'm cutting my losses! $200 to a better shop and peace of mind is priceless! I don't want these guys to bother me anymore than they already have.

Going into Northridge 4X4 was a breath of fresh air and made me feel really comfortable! It won't be long until Northridge gets all the business in town. The atmosphere is totally different in a great way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.