Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Tires and rims! Bronco 78' (Super swamper thornbirds) ?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  1renegadendn 
#1 ·
I'm going for around 38x14,50 Tires on my Bronco... Atleast around that size...
(OFC with a size 15x10 inch rim!! ) and prolly around 3,5 backspacing ..
(6inch of lift, JBG's Superflex kit)

So i wonder what Tire do you recommend ?

If no1 has anything againt The Super swamper Thornbirds I probably will go for them!

Going 50/50 on and offroad.

thank you for answers :D

#3 ·
Thornbirds are great if you enjoy being pulled out.

I have Dick Cepek Crushers, extremely aggressive treat pattern that digs like hell but they're decent on the road. Have a nice little howl but nothing outrageous. They also last forever, have a lot of tread on them. I've put 2000 miles on them and they're still looking brand new (albeit not a lot of miles, i know)

Also haven't heard anything bad about Cooper STTs

#4 ·
Thornbirds would rank after square passenger car tires on my list of tires to put on a truck that ever sees wet grass or wet pavement. If you're going for most popular guy in high school, that's one thing...but if you want a functional tire from Interco...go with anything else they offer.

#7 ·
If you're looking for a great tire, go with the Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar. I had them on my 98 Suburban, they performed great everywhere, and they're better in the snow than any other MT I've ever owned. I don't think they come that big though, biggest I've seen for the 15" rim is 35"

For 17" they come in 37's and 38's.

#8 ·
Saw a guy out in the Apex north of Vegas running a Scout II that he had just built/restored and he had a brand new set of thornbirds. He ended up stuck and had to be pulled out with my stock Liberty 2wd. I stopped by a local tire shop a week later to have some tires mounted for a friend and he was there selling his for a set of BFG ATs.

#9 ·
haha! aok i see!
tbh i also only heard bad things about the thornbirds :s
mostly because the loud howling when street driving.

so i made a "wheelpackage"...
38x15,5 Super swamper Srr radials... with the new m/t classsic 3. 15x12.
backspace = 3.62 i believe *offset -78

Think this will be an ok fit with 6" jbg's superflex kit?
worried about the wells/radius arms... and prolly will buy extended with bend!

any critism about this setup of wheels/tires? heh :D

#16 ·
i live in a flood plain have to go feild hoping at times im only guy who hasnt got stuck,pulling everybody out bfg.... ha need a big fn gun. just saying no problem with tsl tb 35s keeps me from sinking in . yes if im get on it, im diggin in, id dig ruts.so crawling pulling im happy . but do the howl, o boy. take too long to warm up . bumpy as hell first twenty minutes driving. second thought i run em they suck. work for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.