Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Just purchased a 91 Bronco with the 5.0 L V8. Any problems I shoud look out for?

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  txdxrider 
#1 ·
As the title said, I just bought my Bronco. But I've worked on Fords my entire life. My first truck was a 94 Ranger that I shared with my older sister in high school. Then I bought an 85 Ranger for myself. (at only 6000 miles and $1200, it was a steal.) Then I purchased a 91 F150 since I needed something bigger for the farm. But now, I no longer need it, being in the air force and starting a family, but still wanted something I knew I could fix. And I've always wanted a Bronco, so I traded in my truck for the Bronco.

So, are there any particular gremlins I should watch out for? Anything besides the usual look over I should do for a fresh purchase? Its just a daily driver, so I'm not gonna get too crazy with it, but I will be upgrading it over time. Guards, roof rack, spare tire mount, toolbox instal. Stuff like that mostly.

UPDATE: Okay, I've looked everywhere for info on this particular feature, but can't find any info on it. I don't know if its stock or add on. There are air lines running from the fitting to the shocks, so I know they either adjust the ride height or change how hard or soft the shocks feel. Its currently not functional, as one of the lines was melted to the exhaust.

I just want to know if its worth replacing the lines and making it functional again, or just remove it completely.

To Fix List: 1. Replace Core Support Frame, 2. Air Shocks, 3. Trailer Light wiring. 4. Re-wire radio. 5. remove trailer hitch lock pin (no key). 6. Clean/replace distributor.

To Mod List: 1. Center Console, 2. 12 Volt Outlet to dash, 3. cargo tie down racks, 4. Roof Rack, 5. Light Bar, 6. Cieling mounts for shovel/ice-scraper in rear.

See less See more
#3 ·
"I can fix anything" tends to be my motto. I just wanted to know if say, I should watch out for problems with the engine or transmission, or something along those lines.

I'm not afraid of rust too much. I know how to deal with that.

#4 ·
There aren't any inherent problems, Broncos are solid, reliable trucks if they get proper maintenance, so it's really back to you in terms of going through what the maintenance condition is. Many people not mechanically inclined tend to let things like brakes, wheels bearings, fuel filters, ujoints/greasing etc. go until a problem arises.

#5 ·
x2 everything so far! :)

What I've noticed reading here and experienced is electrical problems from
the idle-throttle-control and feedback. Search: IAC and TPS for that stuff.
No big deal if you have the information to make yours work "right". :)

If you've got the E4od, that thing is tough but changing the oil can mess it
up kinda unless you use the right stuff. Also some have changed 'em out
when it wasn't the problem, the problem was electrical an' cheap an' easy
to fix. LOL :) {BTDT on my wife's Tracer ~$1600 quote, fixed it for ~$85}

Something that I feel as tho hasn't-been-addressed is the fact I've got three
factory built 351Wz: '90, early '91 and late '91 and all three have a coolant
leak at the lower intake manifold to block junction. Don't stop 'em from
running, they aren't leaking that bad, but it's looking like a "design flaw" of
some sort. (?) {oops you got a 5.0, I'm betting it ain't got that problem}

Steering/alignment troubles tend to stem from lifts and big tires seems like.
Lots and lots of problems with that and many times it all stemmed from the
guy wanting a -LOOK-! :/ That whole "look thing" seems so sissy/girlie/gay
to me, it kinda makes me cringe. YMMV on that one? ;)

Automatic 4wd hubs aren't so good but it's cheap to replace the whole works
with manual parts. Cheaper than fixing the automatics even. LOL :)

Hmmm... that's all I got off the top of my head.

Alvin in AZ
ps- Oooo... just looked at the Noobie-list and saw "tailgate"! LOL :) Lots of
problems with those and the little motor's gearing etc posted here. I had
some trouble too, it ain't no big deal for you and me to fix (being "fixers")
it's just that it's common to have trouble with 'em. IME, fix-it-good and it'll
last a long time, just most Bronco tailgates have been neglected by previous
owners that weren't in to fixing stuff "for the fun of it" they liked this piece
of "lazy-crap" masquerading as a "good idea"...

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"

#6 ·
x2 everything so far! :)

What I've noticed reading here and experienced is electrical problems from
the idle-throttle-control and feed back search: IAC and TPS for that stuff.
No big deal if you have the information to make yours work "right". :)

If you've got the E4od that thing is tough but changing the oil can mess it
up kinda unless you use the right stuff. Also some have changed 'em out
when it wasn't the problem, the problem was electrical an' cheap an' easy
to fix. LOL :)

Something that I feel as tho hasn't-been-addressed is the fact I've got three
factory built 351Wz: '90, early '91 and late '91 and all three have a coolant
leak at the lower intake manifold to block junction. Don't stop 'em from
running, they aren't leaking that bad, but it's looking like a "design flaw" of
some sort. (?) {oops you got a 5.0, I'm betting it ain't got that problem}

Steering/alignment troubles tend to stem from lifts and big tires seems like.
Lots and lots of problems with that and many times it all stemmed from the
guy wanting a -LOOK-! :/ That whole "look thing" seems so sissy/girlie/gay
to me, it kinda makes me cringe. YMMV on that one? ;)

Automatic 4wd hubs aren't so good but it's cheap to replace the whole works
with manual parts. Cheaper than fixing the automatics even. LOL :)

Hmmm... that's all I got off the top of my head.

Alvin in AZ
ps- Oooo... just looked at the Noobie-list and saw "tailgate"! LOL :) Lots of
problems with those and the little motor's gearing etc posted here. I had
some trouble too, it ain't no big deal for you and me to fix (being "fixers")
it's just that it's common to have trouble with 'em. IME, fix-it-good and it'll
last a long time, just most Bronco tailgates have been neglected by previous
owners that weren't in to fixing stuff "for the fun of it" they liked this piece
of "lazy-crap" masquerading as a "good idea"...

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
Oh, I'll end up fiddling with the throttle. Its how I got my old F150 to get 21 mpg highway. I'm sure I'll do something similar for the 5.0.

Mine has the automatic trans and 4wd. I don't think I'll swap em out unless I have major issues with them.

I'm not too worried about the tail gate. I've swapped out both window motors on my old truck and didn't have much of a problem, except my hand wouldn't fit.

Its got the standard ride hight. I don't think I'll change that any time soon. No $$$ at the moment for big projects like that.

And if my engine does have a coolant leak, I've got plenty of experience with fixing those. Its amazing what you can do with a roll of cork gasket and some high temp sealant.

The only real mods I plan on making are a towing package and maybe a winch.

#8 ·
Click this & read the whole caption, then create a DETAILED signature:

There are MANY inherent problems with that era of Bronco, but you missed some of the worst by 2 year models (in both directions). The ones you still have to be aware of include:
-flaming alternator
-flaming ignition switch
-shrinking wire insulation
-toasty ignition module
-useless warning light in the cluster
-plug wire routing
-leaky capacitors inside the EEC
-loose frame rivets
-sticky idle valve
-ineffective heater
-driver's seat cracking the floorpan
-clutch pedal cracking the firewall (stickshift only, of course)

Now, don't feel like you made a mistake because, obviously, those problems were unknown 30 years ago, when the truck was built. By now, most of them have been fixed, so you probably won't encounter more than a couple of those. What you REALLY have to watch out for are the same things as with any used vehicle: WHAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID OR DIDN'T DO TO IT. :thumbup Get yourself a Haynes manual, and read it cover-to-cover a few times:

When a problem appears, DON'T WAIT for it to become critical - read the Haynes, search (a few times) here, and then fix it before it damages something else. If you do that, it'll be a VERY enjoyable vehicle for many years.

If you're curious about that laundry-list, click my black Bronco in my signature & read the captions in the TSB & FSA album near the bottom of the page that pops up.

#9 ·
Since you apparently have had other Fords you probably know these but I'll repeat. Long-term use Ford small blocks all have issues with trash in the oil pan. It's the remains of the skirts of the valve stem seals that get hard, crack, and fall through finding their way to the oil pump pickup screen. The seal collar left behind still does the sealing job so replacing them is not necessary and at this point in time all our Broncos have shed all the skirts they are going to. All that's left to do is drop the pan ( a bitch to do...won't come off all the way easily but you can reach in and do the job), wipe it out and install new screen (cheap). Those people who say their engine blew up because the oil pump drive shaft broke don't realize what really happened. The screen plugged, oil pump starved and froze up, people drove until the engine was trash. Also change trans fluid like this.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...F_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmission.html
Be sure to pack ALL the front wheel stuff

#10 ·
Oh, trust me, I know how much of a pain that can be. I had the change out the oil pan on the F150 I owned. I had rusted right through. I kept patching it for years with JB Weld, but finally, ran out of metal to fix. But I figured out a good way to do the swap, so it won't be too bad. Thanks for the advice.

#11 ·
Steve83, I know how to read a VIN. I just don't know if its the stock transfer case since the previous owner installed an appearently defective temp gauge on it. Just another little project I'll have to look into. But until I get it on a lift or something to look at the case, I won't know.

Anyways, I finally got some time to get a better look. The previous owner wasn't nearly as mechanically inclined as I'm sure he thought he was. Its mostly little stuff, missing/incorrect hardware, the aforementioned bad guage, stiff rear window motor. Nothing I can't handle. At least the engine is sound. I'll post a picture here in a bit. But now, its lunch time.

#12 ·
I know how to read a VIN.
Great. :thumbup So when are you gonna make a signature so we know what you're working on? :popc1:
I just don't know if its the stock transfer case since the previous owner installed an appearently defective temp gauge on it.
:scratchhe You lost me. :shrug What does the temperature gauge have to do with identifying the transfer case?

#14 ·
You don't have to start a new thread for each issue. You can put ALL your initial problems in this thread. But THAT problem has been beaten to death in thousands of threads already, so read a few of them (or a few hundred, if necessary).

Or you could just click my black Bronco and scroll down the album list to Fuel Level Sender Repair. ;)

#15 ·
Finally got the oil changed on my bronco last week and got it on the lift to give it a good once over underneath. I didn't find much wrong. Mostly minor things, but I did find one major rust problem. Its not the wheel wells. Its actually the frame that holds the radiator and tranny cooler. The right side mount has rusted right through. See the pics. Thats the only real rust problem I have.

My question is, is it better to repair that with welding or should I just replace the frame the radiator is mounted to?

Attachments

#16 ·
That "frame" you're talking about is called the "Core support" - not an uncommon piece to rust out. JBG has them along with a lot of other places. I replaced the core support on my '94, there are a lot of parts attached, but if you label the bolts you take off (sandwich bags and a magic marker are your friends), it can be done in a weekend. Do yourself a favor and replace all the parts that hold the core support (bolts, rubber bushings, spacers, etc.) to the frame. Use a sawzall to cut the two bolts off.
Search and there are a bunch of write ups here on changing it.

Good Luck, and thanks for your service.

#18 ·
The right side mounting area of the core support commonly rusts out due to battery failures. When a battery bursts or is cracked and leaks acid, it goes down and is caught in that mount area and eats away at it. Many, many F-series have that issue. My original Bronco (a 91' 5.0L Auto as well) had a replacement core support installed by the dealer I bought it from. The guy refused to sell me a vehicle that was rusting. I wish I could have bought the 96 he had at the same time, but it was out of my price range.

#19 ·
I guess nobody knows what this is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.