Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

No Fuel - Logical next step to fix

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  grovermyson 
#1 ·
I want to fix my fuel delivery problem and want to make sure i'm following the proper troubleshooting sequence. Really don't want to drop the fuel tank yet. My 78 has been sitting for many years and want to get in started. I noticed the carb wasn't getting any fuel - bone dry. I removed the flexible line to the filter and dropped it in a plastic bottle (see pic) to make sure that there was no gas coming from the fuel pump-not a drop. I made sure the tank has plenty of gas and added some Marvel Mystery oil too. Would my next step be to just replace the fuel pump?

See less See more
#2 ·
Put the pickup line into a container of fuel and crank it over, checking to see if the pump is actually working. If it is, you may need to run the engine by pouring fuel down the carb long enough for the pump to build up a fuel supply from the tank.

However if it's been sitting for THAT long, stop wasting time and just drop the tank. Clean the tank and sender. Blow the lines out with compressed air and put it all back together. It's not that hard. just a few bolts and some wire connectors.

#5 ·
Drop the tank and inspect it before jumping to conclusions, right now you're ASSuming that the tank is junk. What we know right now is the fuel in there is trash, and the pump is suspect. Don't over-think a very simple fuel system.

#8 ·
Got started late today and emptied out the gas tank. It was real nasty smelling gas.
Stunk up me and the garage. I took a pic of the two lines going to the tank. I'm assuming I will need to remove the fuel sender line using the special disconnect tool? The return line has a rubber hose that i can just cut? I removed the filler neck too. Now, can I just remove the bolts to the skid plate and drop the tank with the fuel sender line still connected or do I need to do that before I drop it?

#9 ·
supply line and that wire is for the sending unit , no special tools needed unplug the sender pigtail , undo that hose clamp , work hose off or if replacing cut it , undo filler hose on the tank side , take out all the skid plate bolts , and lower it down slowly and even so fuel doesnt get all over the place ,

#14 ·
You may or may not have a return line to the gas tank, depends on what emissions crap is on your vehicle. It's just one or two more lines that you will have to disconnect in order to drop the tank.

#15 ·
Took my time today and got the tank dropped. Incredible amount of rust between the bottom of tank and skid plate. I think the lower straps completely rusted away- if there are lower straps. Question about the straps, I see there are upper straps but don't understand the purpose of the lower straps since the skid plate holds the tank up. What do the lower straps connect to? There should be rubber insulators between the skid plate and bottom of tank - correct?.

#16 ·
Really don't want to drop the fuel tank yet.
My 78 has been sitting for many years...
Worst thing you can do to a vehicle. :shrug
What we know right now is the fuel in there is trash...
Not necessarily... I drained a customer's tank just because she wanted new gas after leaving the car for ~3 years. So I used her in-tank pump & old filter to dump it from her car (on the lift) into my CV (which I drove in under hers). I changed her filter, refilled her tank, and both cars ran fine. Yes, the gas reeked.
Incredible amount of rust between the bottom of tank and skid plate.
Newer skidplates (which fit your truck) have more drain holes down there. Either add holes, or find a '92-96 plate.

I think the lower straps completely rusted away- if there are lower straps. ... What do the lower straps connect to? There should be rubber insulators between the skid plate and bottom of tank - correct?.
There are no bottom straps with the skidplate - the insulators are what look like rusted straps in the last pic. I prefer to replace them with camper shell mounting tape, but almost anything will work. Someone (maybe Al or Malcolm) used a bath mat.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I've dropped 3 tanks on 78/79 Bronco's and only one had the straps. That was the one with the 25 gallon tank. Other two had skids so no lower straps. You should be able to use straps to hold it up and then skid it. Or do like Steve said and put something in there to act as a bushing. So you don't feel all alone in the world of tank dropping here are pics from mine last week (post 1983). http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200225&page=100

#19 ·
Really appreciate the helpful comments! Just one last question before ordering part's. That plastic housing on the body for the filler neck-I want to replace the inner and outer rubber grommets. They are really dry and cracking. Has anyone done this?

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.