Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Towing Question.....

8K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  Gun Toting Hippie 
#1 · (Edited)
It looks like i am going to be picking up a donor rig. It is a fullsize 92 Bronco. It's about 9 hours away from me.(Ohio to CT)

Here was my plan. Go rent a trailer dolley from U-haul, that is real close to the spot where i am picking it up. Hook up the non-running donor to the car dolley and take my time getting back.

Question 1:

Can a fullsize Bronco pull a fullsize Bronco for that type of haul......9 hours?

Question 2:

With these vehicles being a touch on the heavy side, will the u-haul dolley handle the weight?

Question 3:

Anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks.

Some more info:

Tow Dolly
The most economical way to tow your vehicle. U-Haul is the only national company that rents towing equipment independent of truck rentals.

More on U-Haul vehicle trailers Reserve now
Capacity
Max load: 3,450 lbs. when towing a front-wheel drive vehicle, 3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel drve vehicle
Empty weight: 650 lbs.
Features
Ratchet-operated tire straps
Vehicle security chains
Advisements
Your towing vehicle:
Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and at least 750 lbs. more than the vehicle being towed
Must have Class 2 tow hitch (3,500 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating)
Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (3,500 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
Must have fully operational lighting
Tow dolly lighting must be operational at all times, day and night, loaded or unloaded
Maximum recommended speed is 45 MPH
The vehicle being towed:
Must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs. if it is front-wheel drive, and 3,900 lbs. if it is rear-wheel drive
Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 72"
Note: outside tire width over 69.5" must use a swivel-platform U-Haul Tow Dolly.
Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75"
Note: body widths over 72" must use late-model U-Haul Tow Dolly (identifiable by silver galvanized color)
Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.
Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the tow dolly during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
Tow lights (tail/stop/turn) required at rear of vehicle being towed

#2 ·

no, Broncos cant tow anything.

ok enough smart ass comments....
my experience is that tow dollys tend to be on the lightweight side (broke my last one towing a Toy 4x PU)...

any reason you arent renting/borrowing a trailer? this tow photo'd here was a 5 hour tow from Vegas back to So.CA

#3 ·
I've towed a lot of weight with mine, just take your time, the truck should handle it.

#4 ·
Question 1: YES

Question 2: YES, I towed my Bronco on a U-Haul tow dolly from Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO. But I had to fib a little about what I was towing and I had to let air out of the front tires on the Bronco & then reinflate them to make the straps work.

Question 3: Not necessarily, but most U-Haul rental places will not rent the dolly to you to tow a Bronco.

Personally I don't feel that a dolly is any kind of problem in towing a Bronco, but there are those on this site who will say otherwise.

#7 ·
My opinion, s**tcan the idea of the tow dolly, they're devices of satan.

Uhaul has a very nice car trailer that rents for about $50.00 per day local, more for a one way trip. It would depend on how much gas you'd burn towing an empty trailer as opposed to the extra cost to rent one for a one way trip.

#10 ·
A tow dolly is cheaper & more stable than a trailer, but less maneuverable. Weight isn't a problem - but drop the rear d'shaft & put the front wheels on the dolly. One-way rental is MUCH more expensive than local, and they DON'T need to know the truth about what you're towing or where it is. Just rent it in your hometown for a day or 2 & tell them you're moving a VW Beetle.

31s are ~1/2" taller & wider than stock. But the rims don't change position, so if the tires rub the sides of the trailer, air them down to ~15psi & let 'em rub.

#11 ·
Thats really unsafe man.

you will be towing almost 5000lbs with no trailer brakes.

The bronco won't have a problem pulling the weight, but the steering is going to be real terrible, and the braking will be so bad you would probably be on the verge of criminal negligence if you were to rear end someone.

I know when you ask people on the internet you get way too exaggerated results, but to put it this way- i would tow a bronco on a tow dolly around town, but never on the highway more than a couple miles.

#12 ·
The distance doesn't matter - statistically though, you're much MORE likely to wreck on a short drive (near home). Also, braking would be worse on a short trip since you'd be using them more often than on a long interstate trip.

I've towed over 10,000 lbs with no trailer brakes for over 100 mi., and as long as you drive like you're towing 10,000 lbs, you can still be safe. Just increase the distance between you & the car in front, and look twice as far ahead as you normally do so you don't get surprised.

If you drive like you're NOT towing, you'll get in trouble fast.

#13 ·
The majority of the trip is going to be interstate. I'm leaving myself 2 days to get home.....from a 9 hour trip.

It's not like I have to break any records, i just don't want to do irreversible damage to the drive train of the Bronco.....the body is already irreversibly damaged.

#14 ·
I made that trip(kinda) last Jan to get tires and a lift kit and axles from Haustkraft. With the mountains and the winter weather and the fact that you're pulling a big ass Bronco I would use a trailer with brakes. The Bronco can handle it no problem I've pulled a bronco in my enclosed car hauler and on my dads open car hauler as well as a van and several cars. If your buddy has a trailer he can haul a car on then your Bronco WILL fit, measure it. You aren't planning on using a bumper hitch are you? i.e you have at least a class III receiver right? If I wasn't in the opposite direction you could borrow my hitch and weight distribution bars(which, BTW would be a really good idea pulling that much weight).
And Steve, the reason "statistically" you're more likely to get in an accident closer to home is because that's where everyone does MOST of their driving. If you drive 95% of the time w/in 5 miles from home and the other 5% farther away then obviously you're more likely to have an accident in the 95%

#15 ·
I am looking at buying a carhauler right now. Some of them are only 76" wide. I know mine wont fit on one that is 76" with mt wheels and tires. I measured my tires and they were right at 83". I am not sure how wide one is with stock wheels and tires on it. Just somthing to keep in mind.

#16 ·
i haul a lot on the interstate between CT and GA and Indianapolis and Flordia with my bronco and i would never haul with a trailer that didnt have brakes on it. there have been way to many times when you get cut off or you come around a corner and traffic is stopped and your on the brakes hard. even with the trailer brakes you can still feel the trailer pushing you, and if its raining or snowing, it doesnt matter how fast your going, with the weight of a bronco on a trailer without trailer brakes you just asking for disaster. try pensky or ryder or maybe some local place. I own my trailer, 18 ft enclosed, big enough for a mustang and jeep( with the tires aired down) and would never pull anything without brakes. Especially with the short wheel base of the bronco. - chris

#17 ·
slim said:
I am looking at buying a carhauler right now. Some of them are only 76" wide. I know mine wont fit on one that is 76" with mt wheels and tires. I measured my tires and they were right at 83". I am not sure how wide one is with stock wheels and tires on it. Just somthing to keep in mind.

I got a hold of my friend and had him measure his up, it's smaller than 76" with the rails he welded on. So thats out.

The only problem i have with a trailer with electric brakes is that i am not set up for electric brakes, i only run a 4 flat with my class III.

I am kind of stuck right now. I may just have to use the dolly and hope for the best. Like i said, i am not out to break any land speed records.

#18 ·
Its very hard to control the distance between you and the car in front of you.

even though you're probably going 10mph slower, people will be passing you and getting back into your lane right in front of you, because people are morons. people use their cell phones and smack the kids in the back seat.

The distance most definitely does matter. If you're on the road 9 hours, you will be using the brakes many more times than if you were on the road 1 hour. You will be seeing many more cars where something could potentialy happen.

I don't mean to start an arguement or anything. People tow like this all the time, i would just hate to say "you'll be fine" and lead you into a potential accident.

If you asked if you could tow it on a flatbed trailer with brakes, even though that is way over the rated GVWR of the bronco, i would say you'd be fine.

#19 ·
You're the only one saying "He'll be fine." I'm saying "It can be done safely with a dolly if you pay attention."

I've made quite a few 9-hour trips in my life (and a few in the 24-hour range), and I can tell you that the brakes rarely got used compared to an in-town trip.

#20 ·
Well, it's going to have to be the dolly, all the friends that have trailers that i called are either using them, or they aren't big enough.

Going to go with Steve83's advice and drop the rear axle, then air the tires down after it's on the dolly.

I used to drive for a living, i know how to pay attention and i am used to people thinking that a rig can stop on a dime. And as long as none of you are ODOT officials, there was plenty of times i ran overweight to make more cash.

Ever have a 53' truck in rush hour traffic in New York, New York? I have.

#21 ·
FYI-

I picked up an '87 parts truck with my bronco and a dolly about 30 miles from my house. Truck fit on it fine. Made it back down the winding narrow country raods fine, and stopped fine. Wasn't no 9 hour trip, but it didn't seem to phase the bronco any. Lots of stop and go traffic. As long as you take your time i think you can do it without a problem

#22 ·
Alright well since you have decided to go on the mission, good luck!

I guess you've probably had more experience towing than i have considering your track record.

One thing I can suggest though, if there are frequent rest stops or truck stops, its a very good idea to tweak your tire pressures both on the tow vehicle and the vehicle in tow. You can make a pretty good size difference in driveability and stability when you get in that golden range.

I towed another f-150 recently on a flatbed at about 55mph (gearing and gas mileage being kept in mind) and the fuel usage was suprisingly good. Hopefully you get away cheaply on the fuel costs like i did.

#23 ·
I've seen alot of improperly towed things whether they be toy haulers, cars or utility trailers. I've also seen a wreck where someone was towing a samurai and it went wild. A SAMURAI. Just make sure you have your auto insurance paid up. Without a car trailer this could be dangerous.

Then again trailers are expensive so I can see your dilemma.

#24 ·
Airing down was just to fit on a tight trailer. I'd leave them all close to the max rating on the tire for dolly towing. That'll keep it from sloshing around behind you, and reduce fuel consumption.

Make sure dolly's & the tow vehicle's tires are aired up correctly, too.

#25 ·
I towed my bronco from washington state to Illinois, on one of the uhaul car haulers with no problem. They have surge brakes for what ever they are worth. I used a uhual truck to pull it, but the bronco fit on the trailer, just don't tell uhual you are towing the bronco.

#26 ·
I say flat trailer. Back before I had my car trailer I used a dolly to haul a Mustang home. About 3 hours away I about ate the ditch. The problem? The Mustang apparently had a pretty good rear end leak and it locked up on my way home.
For that reason I will not use a dolly for any towing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.