Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

MSD install help

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Floridaboy82 
#1 ·
I have a 95 with a 351 and looking for advise on where to put my MSD box. I am thinking of removing my smog pump (since we don't have emission in Florida) and remove the extra parts and install above the right wheel well. Is this a good option or is there a better place?
Thanks

#2 ·
A better place for the MSD box would be the trash can.

Not trying to be a dick but MSD systems(made in Taiwan I believe)are failure waiting to happen.

#3 ·
A Multi-Spark Ignition Box works great, if it is installed correctly. The power and especially the ground must be directly off of the battery. I installed mine on the passenger side inside fender, adjacent to the Starter Relay. I removed my unusable lift-jack bracket to make room.

Keep this in mind:

MSD recommends connecting the heavy black wire directly to the Negative Battery Terminal. A poor ground is a common cause of Ignition System failure. It is NOT recommended to rely on the frame, chassis, solid engine mounts, engine plate, roll cage, body, firewall, fender or any of the like for the ground circuit.

MSD recommends connecting the Heavy Red wire directly to the Positive Battery Terminal. The alternator produces a lot of electrical noise and can affect the charging circuit for the MSD box. It may also be producing a power spike that can damage the MSD box as well. Connecting directly to the Battery+ will allow the battery to act as a filter to absorb most of the electrical noise produced by the alternator.

I also installed an MSD Ignition Noise Filter (MSD PN 8830) in order to maintain a clean voltage signal to the Ignition Box. This filter reduces/eliminates ignition noise in the radio and, as a side benefit, protects the Ignition from voltage spikes and current surges. It easily installs on the Positive/Negative Power Wires between the battery and the Ignition Box.

The summary is connect your MSD Multi-Spark Ignition power supply directly off of your battery, the ground being most important. Since I learned to wire this correctly, I have not had a problem for the past 5 years.

And, Yes. My engine does in fact run much better using a Multi-Spark Ignition. :thumbup

#9 ·
I mounted mine on the hood right over the stock ignition. You can see it in this picture. Thats a piece of stainless I bent to fit it. Has been in this truck for ten years. Anybody that doubts it's benifit is welcome to visit me. I can unplug it and plug the stock system back in. You'll know right away!

#10 ·
I mounted mine on the hood right over the stock ignition. You can see it in this picture. Thats a piece of stainless I bent to fit it. Has been in this truck for ten years. Anybody that doubts it's benifit is welcome to visit me. I can unplug it and plug the stock system back in. You'll know right away![/IMG]
Very cool! :thumbup

i odnt think the MSD system is worth doing unless you have heavy engine mods. im sticking with 6liter tuneup
Have you ever used one? I would also be happy to unplug mine as well, and my truck is well tuned with excellent ignition components. I have used it since pre-stroker with great results - after I learned how to properly install it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.