Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Simple upgrade you should do now!

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  JerryC 
#1 ·
So my tailgate window stoped working when it was up. Did the power direct to the motor thing and got it open. The problem was the switch that assures the gate is closed. I got to thinking, what does this switch do for me? It prevents me from moving the window when the gate is down. In 22 years of owning a Bronco, I have never "axcedentally" opperated the window when it was down. I have needed to oppperate it many times to work on it. It's not hard to defeat by clicking the latches, but why?

Solved. I just unpluged the switch and cut the wires right at the plug. Strip them and twist together. Done. I recumend you do this simple upgrade the next time you get a chance. It's alot eazier to do it now then wait till you have to hot wire the moter to get the gate open. LOL.

BTY The switch/plug is located behind the access cover on the drivers side. It is a little hard to see as it is behind the window rail.

Edit: also while you have the cover off, mark the plug that goes to the motor. That way if you ever have to "hot wire" the motor, you don't have to figure out which plug goes to the motor and which goes to the truck.

#4 ·
Mine has been bypassed for a few years now. While I do agree you should be able to adjust it and make the window work right, my switch was being extra finiky. I have never had an issue. I did solder and shrink wrap the wires when I did it.
To me this is along the same lines as a clutch start switch on a manual.

#5 ·
Old saying........"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I personally won't do this as sometimes the gate doesn't latch all the way once it's closed, you won't want to roll the window up against the track where it will bind.

#10 ·
I think modifications like this one made by owners are cool as anything. :)
Always have and always will.

Not all my modifications are for anyone else and this one ain't for me. ;)

There's been a few times when very competent adults and/or kids have
climbed in and they closed the tailgate behind themselves and the window
wouldn't go up because the tailgate wasn't latched good.

I caught it right away from the driver's seat and happily got out and re-shut
the tailgate for them and off we went. :)

Alvin in AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.