Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Sparks fly when I try to reconnect my battery!

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  INVALIDUSERNAME 
#1 ·
Alrighty I was doing the 3G upgrade on my 1980 Bronco with a 5.8M 4sp manual with Granny 1st. I got one off of '94 Mustang and it was going great until I went to turn the ignition. The starter got stuck and it wouldnt turn over. I took out the key and the starter was still kicking, so I disconnected the negative cable. That stopped it. However When I went to reconnect the battery, all I got were sparks. What could I have done wrong to cause this and what damage could I have caused with my obvious stupidity? Please Help!! btw this is my DD.....

#4 ·
Tap it with a hammer. If that doesn't work than replace it.

#6 ·
How bad is it sparking? If it's just a little, that's kinda normal if you have an aftermarket radio or anything else that has continuous power.

If they're worse than that, the solenoid already mentioned is likely the case.

#9 ·
I should've mentioned that it was starting up great before the upgrade, The sparks are BIG i mean i little piece of the terminal of the top got burned off...
To he point that I am almost afraid of reconnecting, Not for safety, but for effing up something else. I must have connected something wrong to cause this.
It should be right now but I havent gotton a chance to go tap the starter yet because we had some serious thunderstorms last night.
I disconnected the radio, I dont even have a dome light in my truck, my rear window actually works, I know its the starter solenoid causing this, I think I'll just buy a solenoid and replace it. Shucks. I would have someone do it but I bought this truck knowing I was gonna get my hands dirty, plus I'm broke!
Anyway Off topic, Ill tap it tonight and hope that works.... :cry

#11 ·
:stupid

#13 ·
100% correct, tapped the solenoid, Sparks went away.

Now I know I connected one of the wires incorrectly, The only one that I have an issue with on the swap to 3g is the one from the plug labeled "I" color green. The alternator is from an 94 mustang. Before I eff it up, Remembering that it is a 1980 with a 5.8m Carbed, duh, What cable should I connect it to? THere is a green cable with a red stripe on it coming from the solenoid, is that it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.