Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1978 Bronco what size tires?

8K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  78Bronkadonk 
#1 ·
Here in a few months im going to buy a body lift. (i don't have cash for suspension and i just wanna lift the truck) I would like to put 35's on it. If I get a 3 inch body lift, will 35's work well? what about a 2 inch body lift? its got 31x10.5x15 on there right now, i bet i could fit 33's stock... but idk, what do you guys think?

#2 ·
With a 3" body 35s will be pushing it. They will rub and you won't have much clearance. I have a 4" suspension on a 79 bronco and 35s look nice and have enough clearance. If all you can do is 3" body the max I'd do is 34s

#3 ·
Wrong info there bud.

Nobody makes a 34 inch tire

35's fit with no rubbing on 78/79 broncos that's common knowledge here for the most part. with a 4 inch lift I was clearing 38's with no rubbing and I have flexy suspension. When my 78 was stock I wheeled the piss out of it weekly with 35's and never had a rubbing problem ever.:thumbup

#4 ·
With stock suspension travel, 35's will fit no problem with 3" body lift. I have 35 BFG AT's, 2 inch front springs and it does not hit on the street even with a plow on the front.

Now if you go with a 35 X 14.5 bogger, it probably will hit, so you need to decide what tire you are talking about before anyone can truly answer the question.

#5 ·
When i had my 79 i had 37's stock. There wasnt much room at all in the wheel wells and it did rub at full turn. When i put the 3" BL it def made a diff in rubbing the fenders when wheeling. again it did rub the radius arms at full turn..

If you go to my thread there are pics to give you a better idea for room.

#21 · (Edited)
Maybe I missed what your budget is, but IF you want to consider doing a suspension lift, you can do a fantastic lift at a very budget price by using JBG Superflex springs + a shackle flip. You can cut that price in about half if you can do the rear flip yourself. And with the help of the writeups on this site, I have faith that you can.

Add a set of brake lines (not optional) and some new front bushings, if needed and you'll be good to go. You'll be scoring 1,000,000 on ramps in no time.

Speaking of bushings...before beating up your truck with larger tires, have you checked your front steering health? Track bar and other bushing bushings, if stock, are probably just barely hanging on to life. When you add the new tires, when they let go, you'll need to fix the "Death wobble," that will happen. And if you put that off, then you'll be stuck buying the reaming tool. Which is expensive for a one use tool.

#24 ·
Great info! to be honest, i do have the money for a suspension lift. but im trying to be really conservative cuz im using my tax money. and have no future as of right now haha. so im trying to spend as little as possible. as far as bushings go, ive replaced the tie rod ends, well the left one, right one was fine. also i think its the control arm bushings, also replaced steering stabilizer, and shocks all the way around the truck. steering has a little play but i think a new box would fix that (nothing that im worried about right now). other than that, its a champion of a truck. just has some dinky ass tucked in tires. The new -44mm offset 10 inch wide rims should fix that though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.