Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Vacuum diagram acronyms.

55K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  El Kabong 
#1 ·
These are all of the acronyms I found on my vacuum diagram under the hood. I got a Chilton's manual but the vacuum diagram in that is harder to read than the underhood sticker. :doh0715: Is there anywhere that I can find out what all of these acronyms mean? There are A LOT of lines not hooked up. Thanks.

A/CL DV
A/CL BI MET
ACV
MAN VAC
EXH HCV
PCV
SV CBV
TVV
LCV
VDV
HICV
IVV
VRDV
TVS
VCV
HEAT VLV INT
TK
FLTR
VRDV
AIR BPV

ON CARB
BV
S
ACT

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are just "abbreviations" - an "acronym" is an abbreviation that can be pronounced as a word, like LASER, SCUBA, WYSIWYG, & HMMWV.

Automotive Terms & Abbreviations

A/CL DV - Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET - Air Cleaner BiMetallic valve
ACV - Air Control Valve
MAN VAC - Manifold Vacuum
EXH HCV - Exhaust Heat Control Valve
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation
SV CBV - Solenoid Valve Carborator Bowl Vent
TVV - Thermal Vacuum Valve
LCV - EGR Load Control Valve
VDV - Vacuum Diverter Valve
HICV - Hot Idle Control Valve
IVV - Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
TVS - Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka SolePot, Dashpot)
VCV - Vacuum Control Valve
HEAT VLV INT - Heat Valve Intake
TK - Throttle Kicker
FLTR - uuuuuuhhh... "Filter" :shrug
VRDV - Distributor Vacuum Retard Delay Valve
AIR BPV - Air ByPass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass = TAB)

BV - Bowl Vent
S - Spark port
ACT - not sure, but on EFIs it means Air Charge Temperature sensor

#3 ·
Steve83 said:
Those are just "abbreviations" - an "acronym" is an abbreviation that can be pronounced as a word, like LASER, SCUBA, WYSIWYG, & HMMWV.

A/CL DV - Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET - Air Cleaner BiMetallic valve
ACV - Air Control Valve
MAN VAC - Manifold Vacuum
EXH HCV - Exhaust Heat Control Valve
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation
SV CBV - ?
TVV - Thermal Vacuum Valve
LCV - ?
VDV - Vacuum Diverter Valve
HICV - ?
IVV - ?
TVS - Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka SolePot, Dashpot)
VCV - Vacuum Control Valve
HEAT VLV INT - Heat riser Valve ...?
TK - Throttle Kicker
FLTR - uuuuuuhhh... "Filter" :shrug
VRDV - ?
AIR BPV - Air ByPass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass = TAB)

BV - Bowl Vent
S - Spark port
ACT - not sure, but on EFIs it means Air Charge Temperature sensor
Thanks for the information. Hopefully now I can find out where all of these are and make sure that they're all hooked up properly. There are quite a few ports that are empty. Never a good sign.

#4 · (Edited)
Infinite Grade said:
These are all of the acronyms I found on my vacuum diagram under the hood. I got a Chilton's manual but the vacuum diagram in that is harder to read than the underhood sticker. :doh0715: Is there anywhere that I can find out what all of these acronyms mean? There are A LOT of lines not hooked up. Thanks.

SV CBV = Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
LCV = EGR Load Control (WOT =Wide Open Throttle) Valve
HICV = Hot Idle Control Valve
IVV = Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
VRDV = Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
(VDV = Vacuum Delay Valve)
(VRDV = Distributor Retard Delay Valve)
(DV-TW = Two Way Delay Valve)
HEAT VLV INT = Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)

ON CARB
ACT = Are you sure this isn't ALT, if so It is the port used with the altitude compensation system

#5 ·
Maybe someone with the same engine could help by taking some pictures to help explain where the vacuum lines go and hook up to? A picture's worth a thousand words.
I've tried looking up diagrams on line or in my manuals and can't find any.

#6 · (Edited)
AbandonedBronco said:
Maybe someone with the same engine could help by taking some pictures to help explain where the vacuum lines go and hook up to? A picture's worth a thousand words.
I've tried looking up diagrams on line or in my manuals and can't find any.
The vacuum lines are color coded and laid out as though you are looking at the engine when standing infront of the truck. Each color code represents a different function (in most cases) and the same color line is used on the engine as in the diagram. However, black gets used in a few places that are not associated. The easiest way to deal with rebuilding the vacuum lines is to do one function at a time. The most complex vacuum line layout is on carbed engines of the mid to late 80's. The vacuum diagram is located on the right side of the radiator support (for the US that is the passenger side).

Unfortunately not all engines have the same calibration so the devices and hookups change even between different trucks of the same year and engine. So a writeup on one truck / diagram can only serve as an example not the, "End All", for all trucks. Some of the devices are calibrated for different temperature operating ranges which is indicated by color coding of the device. So I hope you can see that your request would be much more than a write up, more like a book in order to cover all calibrations. :rolleyes:

If you need help, post a picture of the diagram on your truck and I'm sure that anyone who knows how to interpret it can talk you thru it. The best thing to do is to get a real Ford shop manual for your year truck. Volume HT, (Engine / Emissions Diagnosis), contains a complete explanation of the variuous devices plus how to test them.

Here is a typical diagram for a 85 351.

Color function in this diagram:

Red = Main vacuum
Green = EGR function
Orange = Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex)
Yellow = Distributor advance
White = EGR vacuum (source)
Black = Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control
Black = Thermactor ACV or diverter valve
Blue = Throttle Kicker control
Pink = Thermactor Air Bypass Valve (BPV)

The color in this photo isn't as good as I would like, sorry.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Here is an color enhanced version of the above diagram. A little crude but the best I can do right now.

The line colored blue in this diagram is infact supposed to be black. The dashed line from the TK (Throttle Kicker) is blue.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
My suggestion for getting the Ford shop manual is not for you to see how to hook up the lines but to give you an understanding of how each function works. Armed with that information, future troubleshooting of the vacuum system should be much easier. The pictures I attached were only for an example of the color coded lines.

Like Steve said, you need to follow the diagram on your truck.

#10 ·
Vacuum Ports

Hey, just posting these photos for Infinite Grade as his computer at home is down. He checked all of his vacuum diagram and most of it appeared to be hooked up except for these three ports. Where on the vacuum diagram are these and what do they hook up to? This is on the 5.8 H.O.

#11 ·
AbandonedBronco said:
Hey, just posting this photo for Infinite Grade as his computer at home is down. He checked all of his vacuum diagram and most of it appeared to be hooked up except for these two ports. Where on the vacuum diagram are these and what do they hook up to? This is on the 5.8 H.O.
Thanks for posting that. Also, there is a port on the carb that is not connected that looks like it goes to some kind of advance. It pushes a little bit against the throttle. There's also a second port on the carb not hooked up that I will try to get pictures of when I can (or at least a description as I don't know when my computer will be up.)

#12 ·
Those aren't vacuum ports - they're Thermostatic Vacuum Valves (TVV), and they should be labelled that way on your diagram. They'll probably also be shown in color.

The 1st one on the carb sounds like either a dashpot or a WOT valve. Also, not a "vacuum port".

A "vacuum port" is a source of vacuum; either directly into the manifold, carb, or throttle body.

#13 ·
Steve83 said:
Those aren't vacuum ports - they're Thermostatic Vacuum Valves (TVV), and they should be labelled that way on your diagram. They'll probably also be shown in color.

The 1st one on the carb sounds like either a dashpot or a WOT valve. Also, not a "vacuum port".

A "vacuum port" is a source of vacuum; either directly into the manifold, carb, or throttle body.
On the vacuum diagram, the TVVs are labeled as having only one in and one out. Secondly, on most car parts sites, like schucks.com, they are called Ported Vacuum Switches.

Such as:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=285&searchfor=Ported+Vacuum+Switch&ptset=A

#14 ·
#15 · (Edited)
AbandonedBronco said:
Hey, just posting these photos for Infinite Grade as his computer at home is down. He checked all of his vacuum diagram and most of it appeared to be hooked up except for these three ports. Where on the vacuum diagram are these and what do they hook up to? This is on the 5.8 H.O.
Those valves are labled VCV in your diagram and the picture is in the same order in the picture as they are on the engine from front to back. The tapered part that is colored solid black is the bottom of the valve.

As far as the carb ports go, The BV ports are the ones that are on top of the float tanks, the EGR port is the one so the passenger side by the choke controls, the S port is any one of the small ports under the carb., The largest port is for the altitude feature which most installations don't have hooked up just capped off. The PVC valve hooks to whatever one it will fit on. All the ports under the carb are at the same vacuum level. The only one that is at a different level is the EGR port. The purge and PCV are hooked to the ports provided by the EGR spacer. Anything else is capped off.

#17 ·
Here's what I have.

VACUUM DIAGRAM ACRONYMS

A/CL: Located in the air cleaner
A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
ACV: Air Control Valve
AIR: Ford calls this the Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
AIR BPV: Air Bypass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass TAB)
BV: Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
CARB: Carburetor
CPRV: Canister Purge Valve
DIST:
EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculator
EFCA:
FLTR: Filter
FPR: Fuel Pressure Regulator
IVV: Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
MAN VAC: Indicating Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure
SOLV: Solenoid Valve
SV-CBV: Carburetor Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
VAC:
VCKV: Vacuum Check Valve
VRESER: Vacuum Reservoir Solenoid Valve
VRV:
V CK V: Vacuum Check Valve
VRDV: Distributor Retard Delay Valve
TVS: Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot)
TVV: Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches)
PURGE CV: Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Color Codes to do Vacuum Diagram
Red = Main vacuum
Green = EGR function
Orange = Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex)
Yellow = Distributor advance
White = EGR vacuum (source)
Black = Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control
Black = Thermactor ACV or Diverter valve
Blue = Throttle Kicker control
Pink = Thermactor Air Bypass Valve (BPV)

#18 ·
CARB: Carburetor
Yes, as an abbreviation on the vacuum map. But as an acronym, CARB is California Air Resources Board. That's one example where an abbreviation is VERY different from an acronym.
AIR: Ford calls this the Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
The "thermactor" is the catalytic converter, and it's standard on almost ALL vehicles after ~'75. "Air injection reaction" is the GM name for what Ford calls "upstream air", which is what the TAD controls.

#22 ·
#21 ·
yo;

I have been working on this off and on for awhile and have combined Steve, Seattle FSB and Fred's info with mine;

Vacuum Line Acronyms & Color Codes;
EMISSION:
Red = Main vacuum;
Green = EGR function;
Orange = Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex);
Yellow = from the TAD Solenoid (driver's side Forward Solenoid) to the TAD (Diverter) Valve located at the rear of the Intake Manifold (Distributor Advance in Carbureted Engines);
White = EGR vacuum (source);
Black = Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control;
Black = Thermactor ACV or Diverter valve;
Blue = Throttle Kicker control;
Pink = from the TAB Solenoid (driver's side rear solenoid) to the bottom of the Thermactor Air Bypass Valve (TAB or BPV/AIR Bypass (AIRB) valve); ACV (Air Control Valve) is the TAD (Thermactor Air Diverter) Valve (AIR Bypass (AIRB) and AIR Diverter (AIRD) valve combinations);
MAN VAC is Manifold Vacuum;
FPR is Fuel Pressure Regulator;
EGR is Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Valve
SOL V: Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoid (SOL V) (AIRD) & Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) Solenoid;
EVR is EGR Vacuum Regulator;
VRESER is the Vacuum Reservoir Can (Tank);
V REST on later years is Vapor Valve (Roll-Over @ Gas tank);
V REST on earlier years such as 78/79 & SEABRONC's 83 is a Vacuum Restictor/Delay Valve, it restricts vacuum for a certain amount of time, on most engines a vacuum line from the carburetor base runs to a T & then to V REST to the distributor; Carbon Can is Carbon Canister (Charcoal Canister, Vapor Canister, Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister);
MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor;
AIR BPV is the AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve, also called the TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve;
CPRV is Canister Purge Solenoid Valve/ Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP);
VCKV is Vacuum Check Valve;
CAT is catalytic converter;
ENG is engine;
PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve.

HVAC in 92-96;
Black = from engine source to vacuum check valve & to vacuum reservoir tank & to Control Panel;
White = actuates the Outside/Recirc air door two-position vacuum control motor;
Blue = Mix (actuates the FLOOR/PANEL air door two-position vacuum control motor);
Red = Floor Flow & Yellow = Panel, (actuate the FLOOR/DEFROST three-position air vacuum control motor).

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck), Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W), Seattle FSB & miesk5

#23 ·
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-term-abbreviation-definition-directory

Ford Emissions Vacuum System Abbreviations and descriptions
Abbreviation Definition

A/CL Air cleaner located in
A/CL BI MET Air Cleaner BiMetallic valve
A/CL CWM Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
A/CL CWM Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
A/CL DV Air Cleaner Delay Valve
A/CL DV Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL DV Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL DV Air Cleaner Delay Valve
A/CLBI MET Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
A/CLCWM Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
ACV Air Control Valve
ACV air control valve
AIR Ford calls this the Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
AIR BPV Air Bypass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass
AIR BPV Air Bypass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass)
AIR BPV AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve, also called the Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve
BV Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
BV Port Bowl Vent Port
CARB Carburetor
CAT catalytic converter
CAT catalytic converter
CPRV Canister Purge Valve
CPRV Canister Purge Solenoid Valve/ Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP)
CPRV canister purge valve.
DIST Distributor
DRCV Distributor Retard Control valve
E Port EGR Port
EFCA
EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculator
EGRV Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Valve
ENG engine
EVR EGR Vacuum Regulator
EXH HCV Exhaust Heat Control Valve
FLTR Filter
FPR fuel pressure regulator
Fuel t Fuel Tank
FV Filtered Vent
GRL grill
HEAT VLV INT Heat Valve Intake
HEAT VLV INT Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)
HICV
HICV
int man Intake Manifold?
IVV Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
LCV
MAN VAC Indicating Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source
MAN VAC Manifold Vacuum
MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure
PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve
PURGE CV Vapor Canister Purge Valve
Purge CV Purge Control Valve
PVS Ported Vacuum Switch
S Port Spark Port
SA-FV Spark Advance Filter Vent
SDV Spark Delay Valve
SOL V Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoid (SOL V) (AIRD) & Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) Solenoid
SOLV solenoid valve
SV CBV Solenoid Valve Carburetor Bowl Vent
TK Throttle Kicker
TVS Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot)
TVV Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches)
TVV Thermal Vacuum Valve
V CK V Vacuum Check Valve
V REST on later years is Vapor Valve (Roll-Over @ Gas tank)
V REST on earlier years such as 78/79 & SEABRONC's 83 is a Vacuum Restrictor/Delay Valve, it restricts vacuum for a certain amount of time, on most engines a vacuum line from the carburetor base runs to a T & then to V REST to the distributor; Carbon Can is Carbon Canister (Charcoal Canister, Vapor Canister, Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister)
VAC Vacuum
VCKV vacuum check valve
VCV Vacuum Control Valve
VDV Vacuum Delay Valve
VR/S Vacuum Retard Solenoid
VRDV Distributor Retard Delay Valve
VRDV Vacuum Retard delay valve
VRDV Distributor Vacuum Retard Delay Valve
VRESER vacuum reservoir
VRESER Vacuum Reservoir Solenoid Valve
VRESER Vacuum Reservoir Can (Tank)
VRV vacuum reservoir Valve

Color Codes For Ford Under hood Vacuum Diagrams
Black Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control
Black Thermactor ACV or Diverter valve
Blue Throttle Kicker control
Green EGR function
Orange Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex
Pink "from the TAB Solenoid (driver's side rear solenoid) to the bottom of the Thermactor Air Bypass Valve
(TAB or BPV/AIR Bypass (AIRB) valve); ACV (Air Control Valve) is the TAD (Thermactor Air Diverter) Valve (AIR Bypass (AIRB) and AIRD AIR Diverter () valve combinations);"
Pink Thermactor Air Bypass Valve (BPV)
Red Main vacuum
White EGR vacuum (source)
Yellow Distributor advance
Yellow from the TAD Solenoid (driver's side Forward Solenoid) to the TAD (Diverter) Valve located at the rear of the Intake Manifold (Distributor Advance in Carbureted Engines

#25 · (Edited)
yo,
If you like to copy & paste;
I updated my entry on 07-02-2011, @ http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2661672&posted=1#post2661672

I added some, such as;
EFCA: Electronic Fuel Control Assembly
FLTR: Filter
HICV = Hot Idle Control Valve (in carbureted)

etc.

and;
HVAC in 92-96;
Black = from engine source to vacuum check valve & to vacuum reservoir tank & to Control Panel;
White = actuates the Outside/Recirc air door two-position vacuum control motor;
Blue = Mix (actuates the FLOOR/PANEL air door two-position vacuum control motor);
Red = Floor Flow & Yellow = Panel, (actuate the FLOOR/DEFROST three-position air vacuum control motor).

#26 ·
This thread is a HUGE help. I have a 78 and 79, and am checking to make sure they are hooked up as they are supposed to be. I would like to start a picture library of all the parts that are listed on the diagram, so that in addition to knowing what the abbreviation means, a newbie (like me) knows what to look for. I just got through making a list of the abbreviations and definitions for my 79' and now I want to associate a picture with it.

Maybe this has been done, but I haven't been able to find it.

How should I assemble it for ease if retrieval by others? PDF or a new thread with several pictures listed in each post?

#27 ·
yo,
a pdf is good to use.
I have some info in mys site;
Such as in the Carburetor Section;

Air Cleaner Heat Stove Vacuum Motor

Air Cleaner Vacuum Motor Depiction; The air cleaner vacuum motor operates the door within the air cleaner duct, which allows either warm or cold air to enter the engine, depending upon the temperature within the air cleaner. - 80.6 MB pdf
Source: by Ford fordinstallersupport.com

Go through pages 5-13 for some depictions &
the ILLUSTRATED BUYER'S GUIDE..Emission & Fuel Injection Parts 453-525
My CC connection is so slow, I'm, still on 17MB after entering this entire reply.

Location & Depiction in Parts Diagram in a 78 400M
Source: by 78brncoxlt at SuperMotors.net

Overview for 351M/400M; "...On M-block engines, the air cleaner heat stove consists of a sheet metal shroud around the right (passenger side) exhaust manifold, and flexible, corrugated tubing from the shroud to the bottom of the intake snorkel on the air cleaner housing. When vacuum is applied to the heat stove vacuum motor, the motor moves a diverter flap inside the snorkel to close off the normal cold air intake and open up the heat stove warm air intake. The vacuum motor is controlled by a temperature sensing vacuum switch inside the air cleaner housing (the ACTS, described in the next section). The following table lists air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor service part numbers for 77-up M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed where available..."
Source: by Bubba (Dave R) at earthlink.net via web.archive.org

Bec. I retrieved Dave's site from www hell a few years ago via archiving it; it is slow to load, so Click Impatient?
a few times to speed opening

==================

Temperature Vacuum Switch (TVS)
Overview for 351M/400M; "...There are three different air temperature vacuum switches that Ford used in air cleaner housings: ACTS (air cleaner temperature sensor) #9E607; TVS (temperature vacuum switch) #9A995; CWM (cold weather modulator) #9E862; The ACTS (9E607) is a thermostatic vacuum switch with a metal housing. The TVS (9A995) and CWM (9E862) are thermostatic vacuum switches with plastic housings. Calibrated open/close temperatures for these devices are indicated with color coding on the housing.The ACTS controls the air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor by reacting to the air temperature inside the air cleaner housing. When the air temperature drops below the calibrated opening temperature of the ACTS, the valve inside the ACTS opens, supplying manifold vacuum to the air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor. When the heat stove vacuum motor closes the diverter flap inside the intake snorkel, the engine draws intake air through the air cleaner heat stove system. When the engine has run a few minutes after a cold start, radiant heat from the exhaust manifold warms up the air drawn through the shroud, and the heat stove system supplies warm air to the engine.When the temperature of the air inside the air cleaner housing exceeds the calibrated opening temperature of the ACTS, the valve inside the ACTS closes, cutting off the vacuum source (manifold vacuum) and bleeding the residual vacuum in the hose and the vacuum motor diaphragm. When vacuum is released from the vacuum motor diaphragm, an internal spring in the motor pushes it back to its rest position, which returns the intake snorkel diverter flap to its normal position for cold air intake. The following table lists ACTS service part numbers specified for 1977 to 1982 M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed where available.."
Source: by Bubba (Dave R) at earthlink.net via web.archive.org

from that info you may be able to google the part # to see a pic or depiction; or snap a few pics in your 78/79
==========

V REST on 78/79 & early 80s is a Vacuum Restictor/Delay Valve, it delays vacuum for a certain amount of time. On most engines a vacuum line from the carburetor base runs to a T & then to V REST to the distributor; READ MORE
Source: by miesk5 at FSB

==========

Also, did you go to this LINK?
I updated my entry on 07-02-2011, @ http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2661672&posted=1#post2661672

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.