Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Help on tailgate trim

4K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  gunclub 
#1 ·
My current tailgate is beat to hell and it needs to be covered up here it is

I have 2 of the tailgate trim pieces one I will save and keep stock but the other I plan to put on just don't know how to do it and looking for suggestions hope I'm posting in the right area new to this.
I have two ideas, the trim piece has the black reflector I am either going to paint the silver part black and camo clad the black reflector or camo clad the silver part and leave the reflector black. I have enen thought of putting the DIY lineX on the silver part. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Here is my camo clad pattern

Thanks
Hunter

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you asking about the holes and where to drill them? If so go to the jy and find an 87-96 that has if removed and pull the measurements and use a little tape to mark the gate for drilling.
Use some good degreaser and prep the new part and a heat gun a credit card or squeegee and a pin for popping bubbles helps. If you paint the edges black And around the key hole first then you won't have a hard time wrapping over the profile if you paint the stainless and can stay on the flat surface.I'd leave the reflector black or paint it flat black if you don't want shine or find a red one. Both your ideas are cool to me and stick with your preference You could camo the flat part on your mirrors ? Nice looking ride already ! Take some pics as you go

#4 ·
Good plan ! And if you drill it open your gate after and close the latches, remove the access panel and use your key to roll up/out your glass to get to the hardware to install it. I put some sealant arond the holes where it goes inside the gate and treat the raw metal from rust if you end up drilling . You can open up the glass almost enough without fear of breakage and will save you time and make it a ton easier. I see black bumpers in your future lol . You could use the double sided tape and just put the strip on your gate and no drilling too . Lots of options. It looks like the damage is above the trim area but I'm on a phone with a smaller picture

#13 ·
The mirrors are already black I think they came that way on the XLs I'm not 100% on that though. And I'm looking for a 96 that has the stock tach but I'm not having any luck at the jy so I can take that ugly thing off the previous owner stuck on their ha. About to drill the holes on the t gate now

#18 ·
I wasn't sure at first but after seeing it on the truck it turned out nice. Great job.

That said, as Steve mentioned above, it seems it does look a little out of place now being the only camo (that i can see) on the truck. Might really pull it all together to do as he suggested.

#19 ·

Up next will probably be the grill just the chrome part. And I was thing about doing something on the side like y'all said but didn't want to much on it I was thinking of just doing the gold pinstriping camo as well. I don't know if that'll be enough though. Appreciate any and all opinions or ideas
Hunter

#20 ·
Up next will probably be the grill just the chrome part. And I was thing about doing something on the side like y'all said but didn't want to much on it I was thinking of just doing the gold pinstriping camo as well. I don't know if that'll be enough though. Appreciate any and all opinions or ideas
Hunter
I was actually going to say that too. If you didn't want too much in the way of camo, maybe even something like a pinstripe just to complete the look and give it some definition might be enough. I'm really not sure on the grille, I see how it would make sense but I feel like it might be too much. But again, admittedly I wasn't so sure about the tailgate either, and it looks better than I pictured.

I think the thing giving me the most trouble is the main color of the truck. It's so opposite of the camo. If the truck were black or olive green or something like that. It's a big contrast, but it may work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.