Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Traction Bars, Ladder Bars, or Torque arm help?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  peteyg 
#1 ·
:rockon Hey everyone,
I saw this post titled "Anti Wrap" and I was really impressed by the craftsmanship of those bars. Great Job!
My FSB is a ******* though, and I'm getting a lot of axle wrap even during normal driving situations (stop and go). I'm afraid I'm going to break a leaf spring or ruin the U-joints. With x-mas around the corner:banghead , I really don't have the extra cash to go out and buy a $400-$500 set of traction bars or ladder bars. I am a metal fabricator with a huge facility at my disposal, (no in house water jet though) so I was wondering if any one would know of any cheeper traction devices out there or has any plans or measurements to build your own? I was also wondering, wouldn't a torque arm be cheeper, more simple to design, and alow more articulation?

My FSB: 96 EB edition 5.8 auto, 4" Superlift, 35" BFG AT's

#2 ·
#3 ·
Before you get wild and crazy about it, make sure everything's tight: U-bolts, shackle and hanger bolts, all driveline bolts, and make sure the U-joints are also in good condition. If everything checks out, then go for it

And fill out some of your personal information, in your profile, too. You being a fabricator could be useful to others in the area, for the DIY'ers

#4 ·
Hey Nice design!
you're right that does look pretty easy to make. But I'm trying to understand and get the right angles needed to make something like this work properly.

Being a newby I'm still trying to figure out how to do my profile, and add pictures of my FSB

Hey check out this one on ebay, super simple, but does it work?
item# 8022177182

I'm new to 4X4 suspension tricks, I build street racers and drag cars, mostly Mustangs 64-06, since buying my FSB, I'm hooked

#5 · (Edited)
That's just a link, from a 3pt mount off a tractor. The price is right, if you want to go that route, but I can be almost positive the length will be too short. Plus, with the other fabrication that's needed to complete it, you may as well do it all yourself

*edit - just noticed your Bronco info... is your rear lift made up of lift blocks, or full lift springs?

#6 ·
Thanks, (ebay traction bar) it looked a bit cheep & cheesy and too good to be true. I have full lift springs.
So how long should the bar be? I heard the bar should be at a 10 degree upward angle from the rear end??
I'm trying to get pictures of my rig on here, but every time I try it says my pictures are too big, so I have to find a way to shrink them down a bit. I'm also trying to get pictures of some of my fabrication work.

#7 ·
I cheated when I did mine. I welded the plates onto the axle and then fabbed up the front mount. Then I measured everything to make sure it worked. I have some measurments in my superford writeup but they will be different on your setup.

PS setup a www.supermotors.net account for your pictures. There are instuctions on how to link in the images in the help section on this web site.

Good luck
dc

#9 ·
Dangling_Dave said:
I cheated when I did mine. I welded the plates onto the axle and then fabbed up the front mount. Then I measured everything to make sure it worked. I have some measurments in my superford writeup but they will be different on your setup.

PS setup a www.supermotors.net account for your pictures. There are instuctions on how to link in the images in the help section on this web site.

Good luck
dc
That's not cheating! That's how I built my whole truck! :toothless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.