Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

CB tweaking

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MUDDOG7375 
#1 ·
:scratchhe
I just installed my CB, it's a Cobra 29 WX NW ST C and 4' Wilson Silverload antenna with 18' coax cable, mounted on the tire carrier bracket.

My antenna ground is good (checked continuity) and the radio has the SWR adj feature so I went to a big open parking lot to get the antenna "tuned", I also made sure to not "coil" the coax.
The range of "good reception" only seems to be about 1-1/2 miles. Is that normaly what to expect?
I read about tweaking the radio for more wattage and was wondering if this improves both the range of reception and transmission, (or is it just one)
Also I get some engine/alternator whine.....(I connected + lead to cig lighter wire) and after hearing the engine noise I installed a good radio noise filter that both the pos & neg leads pass through, but only got a slight improvement.
I wonder if going directly to the battery is going to make a significant difference.:scratchhe

Any input is appreciated.
Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
How many watts is that radio suppose to put? More wattage is gonna get your out farther definitly. Do you know somebody with a swr/watt meter? See how much wattage you got reflecting back into the radio, that will give you an idea of how well tuned the antenna is

#4 ·
magnumpi said:
How many watts is that radio suppose to put?
4 watts
More wattage is gonna get your out farther definitly.
Get me out further????? meaning both reception and transmition?
Do you know somebody with a swr/watt meter? See how much wattage you got reflecting back into the radio, that will give you an idea of how well tuned the antenna is
Well thats what I'm trying to decide in this thread, whether or not I can get much improvement by going to a CB shop and having a pro do it up.
Thanks,
Jim

#6 ·
jimsl78 said:
:I wonder if going directly to the battery is going to make a significant difference.:scratchhe

Jim
I've installed a ham radio or twelve in my day.

Yes, makes a huge difference. Dooo ittttt...
-Will

#7 ·
Getting your radio peakd & tweekd is worth it...Theres differant things to do in the radio to get both more output & input...Also you can get a preamp & that will help with your receive...Or go the easy route & just get an amp...But ALWAYS check your SWRs every few months...They are constantly changing...

If you cant find a CB shop by you to do the work you can send it to Justin at the link below..Him & his shop are 1 of the very few people I trust to work on my radios...

http://www.communicationsexperts.com./

& for some great info try this link...Iv been there for about 5 years now & have learnd alot...

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.