Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

NEED HELP BIG TIME!!!!!!

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Kingfish999 
#1 ·
ok well i have a 94 bronco which i thought was a 4x4 found out a hard way in a muddy feild but my mom originally never told me the owner had taken out the transfercase to save mpg lol so i found a deal.on cl for one but he is throwing in a dana 44 off a 79 f100 hes saying it will fit and all i need is a bracket kit for the radius arms is this true ?? also with a tranfercase which years wilk fit if i were to go another route to pick n pull the axle is stilk there for the front drive train to.connect to and the rair drive train is just hooked up to the tranny showin alot of metal on the yoke and my car is a auto 4x4 and he even tooj out the buttons but still has the wires that the case cnnect to could.i use a case that has a shifter ??

#3 ·
To add that 79 axle, you will need more then just a bracket. Search on here for SAS or solid axle swap. There is some custom work that needs to be done.

If you pull one from a JY, I would look for one with a manual shifter.

#4 ·
Just put the right tcase and parts in for your bronco and be done with it.

Also please don't use titles like you did for your thread here. That titles does NO help for someone using the search here. Use the specific problem are the title thank you.

#5 ·
get Tcase and front/rear driveline from a 93-96 bronco at wrecking yard. just make sure the bronco has the same tranny as your otherwise the drivelines wont be the proper length.

#6 ·
If they deleted the Tcase, wouldnt they also have to change output shafts of the tranny? In which case means he would have to change it back or get a new tranny.

Get a transfer case from a bronco. Tcase from an F seires truck will have a slip yoke instead of fixed yoke that our trucks have. Perferable a Borg Warner 13-56 transfercase as its factory, its very strong, has good low range, and doesnt need support like a NP205. Also look for one that doesnt have the hole for the speedometer cable in the back and one that is manual shift instead of electric.

Also you will need the correct size driveshafts front and rear. Might get lucky and find a truck that has same tranny/Tcase combo as you. otherwise you will need to get them build custom.

No that D44 will not fit easy. Its alot of work to put a SAS on our truck. Are you sure they changed the front axle to a 2wd axle? You can get any TTB D44 from an F-150 or Bronco from 1980-1996.

#7 ·
i need to see some pictures of this, i think the op is confused on some of the terminology(no offense intended), and we're all geussing at what he has. my guess, the motor on the t-case went bad, and the front driveshaft and switches were removed. i bet the t-case is still there. just my guess, with pictures we can help better.
or,maybe the front axle is bad, and this was done to prevent accidental engagement. just removed my front driveshaft yesterday, its not heavy enough to affect mpg on a truck this heavy.

#8 ·
X2 on the pics. I would want to see several underside ones to see what he's removed. Maybe he just "disconnected" it and left it in there.

If he's swapped to a 2WD transmission, you will need to swap it back. You'll need the adapter, transfer case, probably a rear output shaft, (+the know-how to swap it) as well as the correct driveshafts. Who knows what else he mave have removed. If the front TTB is gone.......you might just look for another truck....or a cheap donor.
What about the PCM, perhaps he changed it so it wouldn't throw codes.

Wow.

#10 ·
I'm sure curious to see the pix. Changing a FSB to 2x is no small feat. Can't imagine what would have gone bad that wouldn't have been cheaper to fix than do that massive a swap. Certainly the trans has been changed/modified plus a custom drive shaft made up. In addition some sort of rear trans mount had to be added. Plus as stated before something probably had to be done to the computer (or the check engine bulb removed). Gonna be a bunch of work to get that back to 4x4.

#11 ·
the PO probably couldnt afford a rebuild on the tranny and found that tranny cheap somewhere. probably never used 4x4 so didnt bother him. all he would have to do then is new drivesahft. i dont think a transfercase will cause any codes

#16 ·
It's easy to swap a '91 FSB over to a ZF 2wd -if- you got a donor truck. :)
No kidding on that. :) A >8500# '90 F250 is what I bought.

Doggonit I deleted the stock-E4od-FSB-L-shaped-crossmember pictures! :/
Took 'em for a guy on FTF website forum. ;)

You got a 2wd there or a sorry-assed "one wheel wonder"?
Even my half wornout 8.8" LSD still works good enough for now.

Lots of guys have put limited slip in their rear axle and found they hardly
ever used the 4wd after that.
BeenThereAndAlreadyDoneKnowedThatOne! xD
Even done knowed that before late Nov of '74,
...my '75 F150's got Traction Lok. ;)

Check your rear axle tag...

But also your VIN plate, AXLE = H9 (has a letter) means it's an LSD...

x2 on the title.
<---------------and fill out your stuff.
I got a "like new" 1356E just sittin' here, but you gotta be close to get it.

It needs to be swapped to manual because the ATF messed up the wire
insulation and there's no use fixing such a silly idea as an electric transfer
case. :/

Alvin in AZ

#19 ·
you might as well put a lunchbox locker in the rear axle and call it good. if your tranny ever dies you can then swap it back to 4x4. jsut keep your eyes open ofr a donir truck with good e4od and 1356 with drivesahfts till then. a lunchbox locker as almsot as good as 4x4 anyways

#20 ·
you might as well put a lunchbox locker in the rear axle and call it good.
if your tranny ever dies you can then swap it back to 4x4. jsut keep your
eyes open ofr a donir truck with good e4od and 1356 with drivesahfts till
then. a lunchbox locker as almsot as good as 4x4 anyways
x2!
Lunch box or something similar will do you prob'ly. :)
Eaton/Detroit True-Trac is what I'm gonna get, YMMV.

Threads in Forum : Technical Write Ups
Sticky Thread Sticky: All About Lockers (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4)
Started by peteyg:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22630

Alvin in AZ
ps- Who sed "buy"? ;)
pps- Get under there and check out your rear axle tag and VIN tag. :)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/Ftags.jpg
The second one down is 3L25 = 3.25 gear axle with "Traction Lok"
it came with my '75 F150 and it's got a lot of dirt and gravel road
miles on it, believe it? :) '79 and '80 was working in the Southern
Pacific System Signal Shop in Sacto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.