Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Front shock mount replacement(dual shock version)

20K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  j. r. Nice 
#1 ·
I plan to replace my shocks this spring/summer. I noticed that the front shocks mounts are really rusty and brittle. I'd like to replace these when I do that shocks. I know they're riveted into the frame. How hard will these be to replace? Any suggestions? I did some searching, but only found examples of people repairing these, not replacing. Thanks!

#4 ·
If you are going to do that much work, go the extra mile and use some sort of heavy duty rust-resistant coating on the new mounts. Powder-coating would probably be best and there are plenty of do-it-yourself kits these days or even just find a fellow Bronco guy here or a shop locally to do it for you. I am planning to do that piece by piece as I replace them. If your shock mounts look that bad, take a close look at your rear leaf spring mounts. Chances are good they are in as bad or worse condition, and believe me, your leaf springs breaking loose from the mounts are much more "exciting" and butt-clenching than a shock absorber failing!! Your leaf springs are the only thing connecting your rear end to the truck. If they decide to let go, you are just along for the ride, and the crash at that point.

#17 ·
I replaced my driver side mount when I did my frame off. Not bad to do. I ground mine down with a die grinder / cut-cut off wheel and air hammered 'em out. I final finished my frame and then bolted the new ones back with grade 8 fasteners.

Here's a sample.....several pics forward show what was behind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.