Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Lock cylinder kits?

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  j. r. Nice 
#1 ·
Is there any place that sells a 4 piece kit?
Ignition, tailgate, and doors that work with the same key(s)?
Or another way to fix the problem?

#2 · (Edited)
You didnt really describe the problem.

1) You can buy new locksets on Ebay (some NOS, OEM)
2) you can take yours to an automotive locksmith and have him fix cut new keys or repin them.
3) Visit the j/y and find a good used set (unlikely)
4) visit the j/y and get whatever (if any) might be broken on yours, and have a locksmith repin it.

There is no easy 'one key' solution to your problem.

Recommendation would be based on your budget, time factor, desire to remove any/all locks and access to a j/y ....among other things.

#3 ·
Cool thread. :)

My '75 F150 uses only one key.
My '91 Bronco uses two keys.

J.R. is it possible to swap any of those "ignition key using" older door lock
cylinders into the '91? :) Did Ford change things too much to do that?

I'm especially wondering about the tailgate lock. It's not so much I want-to
as much as if the opportunity arises I might try it. :) I guess what I'm really
asking is...

In your opinion, should I collect those parts or leave 'em be? :)

--------------------------

The '90 F250 ZF parts truck and '91 Bronco had the exact-same door key
pattern. LOL :)

I swapped pins around in a "like new" '75 C700's lock/ignition switch and
installed it in the Bronco and so the Bronco uses the same key as the '75
F150 I bought new...

^it need at least two added relays to make that work IMO. I used three.

Alvin in AZ

#7 · (Edited)
I bought an 83 bronco that has 4 keys and none match the tailgate I would like to narrow the keys down to at least 2.
Cool thread. :)

My '75 F150 uses only one key.
My '91 Bronco uses two keys.

J.R. is it possible to swap any of those "ignition key using" older door lock
cylinders into the '91? :) Did Ford change things too much to do that?

I'm especially wondering about the tailgate lock. It's not so much I want-to
as much as if the opportunity arises I might try it. :) I guess what I'm really
asking is...

In your opinion, should I collect those parts or leave 'em be? :)

--------------------------

Alvin in AZ
You can use the older door locks in your '91.
You can collect spares and donors, but just make sure you mark them as to application (year, make, model, left, right, front rear etc). You'd be surprised how similar they look in a pile.
Collecting tailgate locks (actually any lock) would only do you good if you can make keys or repin them. Helps to be able to cut fresh keys and not try to re-pin to older, worn out keys.
You could probably even sell them without a key. Not sure if that's what you were asking.....

Will the door cylinders fit the tailgate as well?
You could make them physically fit the opening, but the extension / tailpiece that actuates the window switch won't fit the door lock.

I have one key that fits the ignition and one key for the 2 doors one lock on the passenger side doesn't work, an I have no key for the tailgate..
Sounds like someone swapped some parts around. Probably as a result of an accident. Sometimes they just seize from dirt and lack of use, etc.

On yours the ignition is one key ("square") and everything else is supposed to be another ("round"). If the driver's door works, pull the passenger and the t/g lock and take them to a locksmith to have them re-pinned to the drivers side.

Before you pull them, lube them with graphite, and try the only round key you have in the passenger and tailgate lock. After you try the key one way, make sure to flip it over and try the other side.

Sometimes getting a correctly cut key (to factory specs) will resolve an issue.

If your driver's side key or lock shows a lot of wear, you might be as well off having it refreshed too. You could also consider going on Ebay and looking for a set. I checked a while ago and they run about $70.

#8 ·
My bad I was in a hurry

There are 2 keys for the doors, one for the ignition, and one key for the gas tank but it doesn't count I have so many Keys I feel like a janitor, cause I have two hitch locks and a bike lock key, none of those count.
I want one key that fits the ignition, tailgate and the doors my bad.
I can't count, I just guessed it was 4 keys I've only had the truck a day or two and have 11 keys i just counted alltogether not counting my mustang keys that I am leaving at home:doh0715:

#10 ·
There are 2 keys for the doors, one for the ignition, and one key for the gas tank but it doesn't count I have so many Keys I feel like a janitor, cause I have two hitch locks and a bike lock key, none of those count.
I want one key that fits the ignition, tailgate and the doors my bad.
I can't count, I just guessed it was 4 keys I've only had the truck a day or two and have 11 keys i just counted alltogether not counting my mustang keys that I am leaving at home:doh0715:
More than likely you will end up with 2 keys for the Bronco. Depending on the year of the Mustang, you might be able to consolidate. If it's newer, not gonna happen.

#14 ·
If you pull it, maybe as little as $20-25. Rekeying a door or trunk (t/g) about the same.

You have several options, ask him what would be cheaper. If your driver side door key works, just have him rekey the pass door and t/g to that. It should be the same keyway.
That would be absent finding a used set keyed alike. A new set (without ignition) would probably be $70. Again, check Ebay., sometimes there are some really good deals.

#18 · (Edited)
Sounds like the switch on the left side of the t/g is missing. Neither the lock nor the tailpiece are spring loaded. You can either pull the inspection cover or spread the window glass wipers and look to the left to see if it's missing.

It can be replaced.

EDIT: the switch is direct wired into the t/g harness so it's not an easy swap.
The NOS pieces from Ford were pretty pricey.

#20 · (Edited)
It could also be that the tailpiece on the back of the lock is malfunctioning (broken, misssing etc.). I haven't heard of that as a common problem. Be it could be.

FYI, the keyswitch isn't real "springy". You can feel it stop when it hits the microswitches, but it doesn't automatically return it to the 12:00 position.

#22 ·
When you turn your key CCW, if it stops just a little past the 9:00 position, and then CW, it stops about the 3:00 postition, then it sounds like your parts are there and are mechanically functioning properly. You can just start to feel the microswitches at 9:00 and 3:00 and then feel the resistance when turned just a bit further. You have to physically return the key to the 12:00 to take it out. It's not like a residential door knob.

If that's in order, I would run a search for whatever issues you find. There have been a ton of those threads, for diagnosing and repairing. It's getting OT for this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.