Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Are all 2150 Carbs the same? What is the difference? '79 351M

22K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  7LBRONCO 
#1 ·
I hate to ask a question that seem like an obvious "No", but I am not too sure how to tell the difference between one 2150 and another 2150. For instance, here is a copy from Bubba's page on 2150:

Bronco, F150/250LD
351M, manual trans
D7TE-DBA
D8PZ-9510-CV

Bronco, F150/250LD
351M/400, manual trans, CA emissions
D8TE-BJB
D9TE-BNB
D9PZ-9510-AC

I am looking for a used carb for my '79 to rebuild, and it is impossible to tell what part number they are from looking at the numbers stamped on the tower. They all seem to be "2150"s. Even if you go from one year to the next, they all have different part numbers, especially if you compare a F150 to a Bronco, with the same engine. Not to mention that a lot of car and truck mfgrs. put the 2150 on their vehicles.

I called Holley about one that I found, and all that he could tell me was that it was a 2 Barrel, 350 CFM carb and was an OEM replacement, and he could provide me with a rebuild kit number.

I guess what I am really asking is "What are the differences between all the different models of 2150" and will all "2150" fit on my 351M and function just fine and still allow me to pass CA Smog, assuming all the equipment is there and functioning properly.

If there are differences that would cause it not to pass CA Smog, please let me know what to look for. There are a LOT of 2150s out there, I just need to figure out how to find the "right" ones.

I have checked out The Carb Doctor's Website, Bubbas, Holleys, as well as this site, and I still can't figure it out. Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated. Just trying to keep the old Bronco on the road.....

See less See more
#2 ·
on the side of the carb the venturi size is stamped in it ( 1.21 etc), and the jet numbers(on the jets inside the carb)

such as 351 windsors have a 1.21 venturi, and 302 are 1.xx etc etc

then there are the many flavors of choke offered, manual, electric, etc

was on fords and full size jeeps

just make sure the the venturi matches your current one and the choke is the same style and you should be good, (might have to swap jets from your original carb, but thats about it)

#3 ·
Thanks Alaskan- the rig has a replacement Holley carb on it now, and not the one that came with the truck. I am just wanting to make sure that I have, or get the right one on there.

1. Venturi size can vary, got that. I know that there is relation to cfm and venture size, and the 2150 for the Bronco is 350cfm.
2. Chokes can vary got that covered.
3. Additional Smog -got that covered.

Anyone know of other differences other than above between the 2150's?

#4 ·
I have rebuilt what I think are 2150's, one was one a Jeep CJ with a 360 and the other was on a Scout II with a 345. The only differance I found between these two carbs and my 2150 was that the 360 had an altitude compensator on the back of it. Other than that and the throttle linkage, all 3 looked identical. I didn't keep track of the jet size, so I don't know if those were differant or not. I know Ford put the 351M and 400 in cars as well and used the 2150 on those engines, not sure what the jet size is but I would say it's the same as the Bronco.

#5 ·
Ford put a small triangular metal tag on top of its carbs. It is held in place by one of the screws that attach the top of the carb. Look for a "D7T , D8T. or D9T prefix, off a 351 or 400 motor. Also, the auto trans engines have a stud on the linkage, for the kickdown lever, which the manual trans carbs do not have. I am guessing that the Cali carbs will have a fuel bowl vent on top of the float chamber. Other than that, and jet sizes, I can think of no other differences.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. That is sort of the issue...I can't find any Ford tags on them, since they are replacement carbs and not OEM. I have not been able to find a cross reference of any type that says that Part # XYZ123, has blah, blah, blah..... Or that HOLLEY part # has blah, blah, blah and will work with blah blah blah. So when I look at a two or three "HOLLEY 2150", I really have no idea what I am looking at from a functional standpoint, since there doesn't appear to be any type of description associated with a part number that is stamped on the tower.

#7 ·
I have a 1977 351m, 4 speed, 2150, and a 1979 400 auto 2150. I THINK, if you swapped the 351 jets into the 400 carb, you would be good to go. Heck, they might even have the same size jets.

Tomorrow, I am heading back to the jobsite, 800 miles away. I will be back home the week before Christmas. If you still are stuck, pm me and I will send you the 2 carbs. Just pay me back for the ride.:rockon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.