Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Connecting rod installation

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Richo 
#1 ·
Hello, i was about to install my pistons and connecting rods on my 351w stroker and i noticed that there are no marking on the rods except for the bearing notches. I was just wondering which way the notches should face. i couldnt find any information and the shop is closed today that i ordered the kit from. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Most engine manufacturers and aftermarket guys will mark the outside of the rod. But if they didnt the simple rule of thumb is to put the bearing notches facing one another. Both the cap and rod should have only one notch to them and they are mated pairs. Keep each cap and rod together and line them up when putting them on and youll be fine. I always number them before taking them apart so as not to lose track. Be sure to use a paint marker or something so as to be sure not to deform the rod or cap like many have done with number stamp punches.

#3 ·
Upon closer inspection of the rods. i noticed faded markings (the ones that were not ground for balancing) on the side of the rod with the bearing notches. The caps are already bolted onto the rod in the correct position. So does the marked side of the rod face away from the block or towards the block, or does it not matter as long as all the rods are assembled correctly and the bearing notches are all facing the same direction? I just want to make sure I do everything the right way because this engine will be seeing 6500 rpms easy. Thank you for the detailed response

#6 ·
Yep, the crank has a little fillet at the corner where the rod/bearing are chamfered to fit against each other. In the good old days with custom cranks and rods, you had to use a bearing scraper to get the correct clearance. Those were not good days doing crap like that.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.