Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

78 & 79 CA Emissions

56K views 100 replies 25 participants last post by  Bigtruck78 
#1 ·
I'm having problems with my CA emissions equipment on my newly rebuilt 351M. The motor runs but the vacuum system is messed up, therefore I cannot accurately set the timing or smog it. When I got it the engine was missing pieces from someones brand of backyard know-how and I'm having a hard time finding parts and figuring out how to run everything. One mechanic came over and didn't even know what half the crap in the diagrams was (I have a manual and scanned diagrams from a service book) and at this point I'm deliberating on taking it down to a shop. Only problem is that because it's old and its tough to get a shop here willing to touch anything that old it's gonna cost a small fortune. One shop told me at least $375 in labor not counting parts or smog. Anyone have any Helpful input on my problem?

#2 ·
Where in California are you? I am in a similar dilemma trying to find smog parts for a 460. I went to three Pick N' Pull's, two in San Jose, one in Fremont and didn't find squat. I then went to the one in Stockton and they had a bazillion 70's Ford trucks and vans. I have slowly been scavenging parts to try and put my engine back to stock. You are in for a rough road though since they are tough to find. I have the parts catalog on CD so I printed out all the diagrams with the smog parts and took them with me to the junk yard.

#3 ·
so your not failed as a gross poluter, go see your local smog ref. they will give you copies of what is exactly needed, if it is unable to be purchased any more they will remove it from your system and give you a new emissions sticker for the smog idiots to follow.

I can tell you this, the dealer will not have any parts, when I needed something I had to pay over $300 for one simple stupid part that was supposedly one of the last that a dealer could find. I even called places which dealed with new old stock items.

#4 ·
At full throttle, I leave quite a cloud of black smoke. Upstate NY has a $10 inspection; safety and light check only, thankfully. Maybe I'll drive west and visit CA sometime!

That's odd to me that it's hard to find a shop that will work on the old truck. When I worked as a mechanic, I was the guy who took care of all the old stuff that came in, and I LOVED it.

#5 ·
Arizona Ford parts in Phoenix used to be good with NOS parts and early smog equipment. Have not bought from them since the 90's when I owned a 79' F-150 and needed some of the thermactor piping and vacuum solenoids.

Or if you are in So. Cal try Southern California TRUCK Van & 4X4 Parts. They are over on the Alameda strip. If it exist here, they can find it. Guys know their old ford stuff well. I bought my NP435 from them for my EB before the swap became as popular as it is now.

Luck :thumbup

IT sucks here American, guys that can work on old iron are becoming extremely rare. Mechanics that can tune carbs well here in cali are like unicorns.

#7 ·
Is this for the 86 or 79 BKO.....?

There should a resonable supply of F150, 351 smog parts laying around that could match up at JY's, it may take a bit of time but you can save a ton $$$ this way......?

BEFORE YOU TAKE IT TO ANYONE, sit down and figure out "exactly" what's missing and make a specific list ....there's more then enough guys here who have pictures of this stuff for you to get a visual idea of what and where parts look like etc......then cross reference them say thru O'Reillys, Autozone or Napa for after market numbers and prices so you get an idea of that cost ......

I mean I've got a "go to guy" for hard to get parts BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is always an issue, you don't want to break the bank...

You can go thru the Bureau of Automotive Repair which is listed on the CA DMV website AND there is a Consumer Assistance Program available if you qualify low income where they will if approved, give you an authorized letter with up to a $500.00 limit to use for any smog related repairs at a designated Gold Seal smog station from thier approved list....in some cases it's either totally free or you kick in maybe 20% of the cost, I used it a few years ago, 100% free ........you basically go the the station first for evaluation and or fix, if not then take thier results to the Referee's for a small fee where they will either exempt it or smog it and you should get at least your registration tags for 2 years...to give you time to make necessary corrections.......I put in a new 302 EFI long block in that time and it worked out great........

www.broncolinks.com - should have a ton of helpful infor on this....

Cali Truck Salvage, Carparts.com may also help you......

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

#9 ·
That vacuum amplifier is a HARD part to find Used or new. But the weird thing is not all 78 79 bronco's or F150's had them. They want a stupid amount of cash for a new one.I had to track this part down a few months back for a friend.,I asked 20 ppl here and about 20 on other forums with now luck.

I did find the same part on a 76 F250. Or like you pointed out one from a different car/truck and different make will work.With out this part you will fail the visual inspection.
When I got my 78 all the smog was in a box on the front seat,I put the smog pump back on and a few hose's and took it to the smog shop, They charged me 25 bucks to put the hose's on in the right spots. After they did the smog test they told me it had all better emission numbers then the 04 Honda next to it. Where do you live??
Auto part

#15 ·
That vacuum amplifier is a HARD part to find Used or new.
I did find the same part on a 76 F250. Or like you pointed out one from a different car/truck and different make will work.With out this part you will fail the visual inspection.

View attachment 15229
yo... thanks for that pic & info Larry!
Here is what I have found;
M D4TZ 9F424 B 74 VALVE EGR VACUUM LOAD CRTL TRUCK

M D6AZ 9F424 A 77-79 VALVE EGR VACUUM LOAD CRTL MUSTANG
===
by atomicjoe23
I pulled a bunch of stuff off today because I'm tuning a general clean-up of the engine bay. . .I replaced the cap/rotor, plugs/wires/coil, ignition module, PCV, and fuel filter. . .and I also have new carb gaskets (for carb and spacer).
Here's a pic of the misc. vacuum crap that's just hangin' out in there connected to back of the carb

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/atomicjoe23/F150VacuumCrap.jpg
The only thing that I can ID in that pic is the amplifier (the big black box). . .the other things I have no clue what they are. . .the silver one could be the bypass valve, but I don't know. . .here are the part numbers on the other 3 parts:

-3 way silver vacuum switch has BAG D6AE-9F424-A2A on it and then the number 1539 stamped on it

-the small black/white disc has the number D32E-AA and DIST on the white side and 8E4 CARB on the black side

-the small black/white cylinder has the D32E-AA and CARB on the black side and DIST on the white side

. . .I'm assuming the CARB and DIST are referring to orientation in the system so that you hook the part facing the correct direction, but I don't know if they are in the right spot or where the free end should be connected to.

Between NPD and LMC I have found all the parts that I don't have. . .PVS, vacuum reservoir, check valve, and bypass valve.

Through the below diagram I have ID'd the parts that I do have

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/atomicjoe23/FordOEMM-enginevacuumdiagram-1.jpg

The EGR valve is on the back side of the plate and should have a vacuum hose going from it to the lower port of the PVS (no PVS in my system). The EGR port at the front of my intake manifold has a vacuum cap on it, but should have a vacuum hose going from it to the vent port of the amplifier; while the other port on the same side of the amplifier should have a hose leading to the fitting on the back of the carb. The upper port on the opposite side of the amplifier shouldn't have anything connected to it, the middle port should be connected to the vacuum reservoir (not present in my truck); and finally the lower port should be connected to the upper port of the PVS.

I also know the PCV should connect to the back of the carb and the passenger side valve cover vent hooks into the air cleaner (currently there is no hose there either).

Also, I have 3 Motorcraft 2150 carbs and on all 3 (one in the truck and two spares that came with the truck) of them the lead that attaches to the back of TPS has broken off of the TPS and there is a quick disconnect electrical connection that has nothing connected to it. . .

1979 F-150 4x4--351M/Auto
===========

Next is by D24x4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7427&pictureid=28782

#11 ·
I've about had it with trying to find parts for a 460. My issue is that the F150 didn't come with a 460 in 1978. However, the prior owner dropped one in so that is what I have. So, I can spin the big prize wheel and put all the smog parts on it that would have come on a 460 in 1978 and see if the referee will pass me or I can go find a junkyard 400m and rebuild it along with finding smog parts for it. Both options suck. I've toyed with just finding a 351w with the tranny attached and doing that swap but that means I have to deal with the dash, the computer, etc.

#12 ·
yo,
Good stuff Larry!

Here is some info that I've collected over the years when we had the 78 351M 4 speed...

Now if this and any other Images/diagrams don't appear here, I'll place the URL below my Image attempt; such as this for the
Catalyst Emission Decal & Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram in a 79 351M

http://www.projectbronco.com/images/catalyst.jpg
Source: by Steve S
http://www.projectbronco.com/images/vacuum_hoses.jpg

========

Vacuum Diagrams & Emission System Parts Location in a 78 400M
Source: by 78brncoxlt at SuperMotors.net

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/646054_1
--

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/646055_1
--

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/646057_1
---
==========-------

Differences between 78 & 79 Broncos by Paul E
Mechanical / Functional differences

78 Broncos had a different brake booster with a straight rod going into the firewall
78 used a mechanical throttle linkage
49-state 78 Broncos were exempt from most emission equipment. They only had an EGR valve and a PCV valve California 78 Broncos had the same emissions as 79 models.
78 Broncos can run both leaded and unleaded gasoline, no restriction in filler neck
49-state 78 Broncos had a standard fuel gauge.
78 Bronco gas tanks have the filler vent aft of the gas tank; also no emissions hole in the top of the tank
78 models used a vented gas cap
Emission sticker was placed on the valve cover for 78 models

-
79 used a throttle cable.
All 79 Broncos sold in the US had full, non HD emission, including a catalytic converter, EVAP system, and an AIR pump. Canadian Broncos were exempt, just like 78 models.
79 Broncos can only run on unleaded gasoline, had a restriction in the filler neck.
All 79 Broncos sold in the US had an "Unleaded Fuel Only" fuel gauge.
79 Bronco gas tanks had the filler vent tube forward of the filler tube, also had emissions hole in top of thank.
79 models used sealed, non-vented gas caps
Emissions sticker was placed on the hood for 79 models

The Bronco was classified as a "heavy duty" vehicle in 1978 as it was greater that 6000 GVWR. Therefore it was exempt from cats, EVAP & AIR, but it still had an EGR.

The EPA changed the HD rating to 8500 in 1979, thereby requiring the Bronco have all of the above because it lost it's HD rating.

The 78 HD engines were still "smog" engines, with emission controls such as EGR, PVS, PCV, & thematic air cleaners. They also share the same "smog" heads with the restrictive exhaust ports as did all passenger car 351M & 400 engines.

Another change was the placement of emissions stickers. As was correctly stated above, 78 Broncos had this sticker on the driver’s side valve cover. In 1979 the emissions stickers (there were now two) were placed under the hood on the driver’s side.

78 Broncos did not have EVAP canisters and therefore did not have the emissions hole in the top of the tank for vapor return. Also, the 78 tank has the vent hole behind (to the rear) of the filler tube where as the 79 tank has the vent hole in front of the filler tube. Otherwise the tanks are identical.

78 could run regular or premium leaded, where as the 79 could only run unleaded gasoline. As a result, the 79 had a new "unleaded fuel only" fuel gauge and the like sticker on (or near) the gas tank door. The 79 also had a restrictor in the filler neck so that the larger leaded pump nozzle could not be inserted.

Also, the above emissions guidelines only apply to so called “49-state” Broncos. Broncos sold in California and Canada had different emission requirements. As for California Broncos, most 78 Broncos sold there were not considered “HD” by that state and therefore came with all the emission goodies that 49-state 79 Broncos had. I’m not sure about Canada, but I think ’79 Broncos were not required to have cats (this could have varied from province to province, though. Again, I’m not sure).

Now, for those of you who claim to have a 1978 Bronco w/ no EGR from the factory, just look behind the adapter plate under your carb (if you still have the original 2V carb). That spacer under your carb is the EGR adapter. Look behind it and you will see where the EGR used to bolt up.

If your manifold / carb has been replaced, then don’t bother looking as all evidence of the original ERG setup has been removed. The only other possible place to look for proof is your thermostat housing. If the original thermostat housing is still on the engine then it will have two PVS switches sticking out of it. One of the functions of these switches was to keep the EGR from opening until the engine was at full operating temperature.

Of course, someone who was a stickler for perfection could have removed the PVS deceives and replaced them with pipe plugs, in which case ALL evidence of the EGR is history (I did this on mine).

by Paul E--
==========

by Trent (who is InfoFord here, I believe!);
79s got Cats by the GVW rating typically anything under 8500 # got catswhich includes most F250s as well the only thing that did not get Cats typically was the F350
=========
will post this for now and add more asap

#13 ·
Yo, next up is;
yo,
M-Block 351M/400 by Bubba (Dave R) at earthlink.net via web.archive.org
http://web.archive.org/web/20050405150658/home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/index.html

==
In his M-Block 351M/400 Parts Reference Section, Dave has sub-sections for;
The following sections list Ford OEM part numbers, service part numbers, and ID codes for most common M-block engine components. Motorcraft OEM replacement part numbers are listed when available.
Cast Iron Parts
Includes blocks, heads, crankshafts, and intake and exhaust manifolds.

Internal Engine Parts
Includes connecting rods, pistons, camshafts, valve train, etc.

Accessory and External Parts
Includes engine accessories (water pump, fuel pump, harmonic dampers), oil pans, valve covers, engine mounts, clutch parts, etc.

Emissions Control Devices
Includes Thermactor pumps, diverter valves, EGR valves, PCV valves, air cleaner temperature sensors, etc.

Carburetors and Fuel System Parts
Includes fuel pumps, carburetors, and carburetor parts such as automatic choke parts, throttle positioners, power valves, hot-idle compensators, carb-to-manifold spacers, bowl vent valves and vent solenoids, etc.

Ignition System Parts
Includes distributors and distributor parts, ignition control modules, coils and ballast resistors, etc
==
Here is the Emission Section; for posterity in case web.archive dumps his info/site

Emissions Control Devices

Copyright © 2002-2003 Dave Resch
All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This section lists Ford part numbers and ID codes for the following M-block (351M/400) emissions control devices:

Thermactor AIR (air injection reaction) pump, check valve, and backfire diverter valve

EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve and EGR spacer plate

PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve

Air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor

Air cleaner temperature sensors

Some other emissions control and related devices, and engine calibrations, are listed in the Carburetors and Fuel System Parts and Ignition System Parts sections.

Check out this section if you are not familiar with Ford part numbers and ID codes.

Thermactor pump and check valve
The name “Thermactor” is Ford’s trademark brand name for the emissions control system known generically as AIR (air injection reaction).

The function of the AIR system is to blow fresh air into the exhaust gas stream. There are two benefits of this system:

Fresh air blown into the exhaust gas, just downstream of the exhaust ports, provides oxygen (O2) to promote further combustion of any remaining unburned hydrocarbons (HCs) in the exhaust gas.

Catalytic converters require additional oxygen to convert the carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons in exhaust gases into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O).

The Thermactor AIR system for M-block engines consists of the following components:

Thermactor pump — a simple vane-type air pump driven by a belt on the front of the engine

Thermactor backfire diverter valve — a vacuum-controlled valve that diverts air pump output to the atmosphere to prevent backfiring under high manifold vacuum (i.e., closed throttle) conditions

Check valve — a one-way valve downstream of the air pump and diverter valve that prevents exhaust backpressure from pushing hot exhaust gases back up into the AIR components

In addition to the Thermactor AIR components, two of the main cast parts of the engine have special provisions for the AIR system:

Intake manifold — a threaded port for the check valve and a dedicated AIR distribution passage in the front of the '75-up M-block intake manifold deliver fresh air from the Thermactor pump to AIR passages in the cylinder heads.

Cylinder heads — AIR passages in '73-up M-block and 351C 2V cylinder heads, including holes drilled into the intake side on each end of the cylinder head, a long passage drilled lengthwise through the cylinder head (just above the exhaust ports), and corresponding holes drilled from the exhaust ports into the long passage. These allow fresh air to be injected directly in the exhaust ports by the Thermactor AIR system.

The following table lists Thermactor AIR pump (smog pump) and check valve service part numbers for '77-up M-block truck engines.

Description
Part Number
Notes

Thermactor pump
E1TZ-9A486-D
OEM repl. All '77-'81 351M/400 truck, except '79 CA emissions.

Thermactor pump
E7TZ-9A486-J
OEM repl. '79 351M/400 truck w/ CA emissions, all '82 351M/400 truck.

Thermactor check valve
D7AZ-9A487-A
OEM repl. All '77-up 351M/400.
(Motorcraft CX-103)

Thermactor backfire diverter valve
The Thermactor backfire diverter valve was also referred to as the “AIR bypass valve” in some Ford technical literature. On some vacuum system diagrams, it is labeled “AIR BPV” or just “BPV.”

The following table lists Thermactor backfire diverter valve service part numbers for '77-up M-block truck engines. Both Ford and Motorcraft part numbers are listed, when available.

Note: Many of these part numbers are obsolete, however, some are still available from either regular Ford dealers or obsolete parts sources.

Description
Part Number
Calib. ID
Notes

Thermactor diverter valve
D4AZ-9B289-A
D4AE-AA
(obsolete)

D4OZ-9B289-A
D4OE-AA
(obsolete)

D4TZ-9B289-A
D4TE-AA
(obsolete)

D4VY-9B289-A
D4VE-AA
(obsolete)

D5AZ-9B289-C
D5AE-CB
(obsolete)

D5DZ-9B289-A
D5DE-AA
(obsolete)

D5TZ-9B289-B
D5TE-AA
D5TE-AB
(obsolete)

D5UZ-9B289-A
D5UE-AA
(obsolete)

D5ZZ-9B289-E
D5ZE-EA
(obsolete)

D6TZ-9B289-A
D6TE-AA
(obsolete)

D7TZ-9B289-B
D7TE-BA
(obsolete)

D8TZ-9B289-A
D8TE-AA
(obsolete)

E1TZ-9B289-C
E1TE-CA
E1TE-GA
Current service part.
(Motorcraft CX-560)

E1ZZ-9B289-A
D5ZE-FA
(obsolete)

E3TZ-9B289-G
D8BE-BA
E1TE-DA
Current service part.
(Motorcraft CX-938)

E3TZ-9B289-F
D8BE-DA
Current service part.
(Motorcraft CX-221-B)

E3TZ-9B289-E
D8EE-AA
E1TE-EA
Current service part.
(Motorcraft CX-222-A)

EGR valve and spacer plate
The following table lists EGR valve and EGR spacer plate part numbers for '77-up M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed, when available.

Note: Many of these part numbers are obsolete, however, some are still available from either regular Ford dealers or obsolete parts sources.

Description
Part Number
Notes

EGR valve
D8DE-9D475-C1A
D8DE-9D475-C2A
'80-up 351M/400 truck.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
D8DZ-9D475-C
'80-up 351M/400 truck.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
D8DZ-9D475-CA
All '80-up 351M/400 truck.
(Motorcraft CX-301-A)

EGR valve
D8TE-9D475-A1A
D8TE-9D475-A2A
'78 351M/400 truck, auto trans, CA emissions. '79 351M/400 HD truck, 49-state.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
D8TE-9D475-AA
'79 351M/400 HD truck, 49-state.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
D9TE-9D475-C1A
D9TE-9D475-C2A
'78 351M/400 truck, auto trans, CA emissions. '79 351M/400 HD truck, 49-state.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
D9TE-9D475-CA
'79 351M/400 HD truck, 49-state.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
E0AE-9D475-C1A
E0AE-9D475-C2A
'80 351M LD truck.
(obsolete)

EGR valve
E3UE-9D475-A1A
E3UE-9D475-A2A
'78 351M/400 truck, auto trans, CA emissions.
(obsolete)

EGR spacer plate
D7TE-9A589-A
All '77-'82 351M/400 truck.
(obsolete)

PCV valve
The following table lists PCV valve part numbers for '77-up M-block truck engines. Both Ford service part and Motorcraft part numbers are listed.

Description
Part Number
Notes

PCV valve
D7AZ-6A666-A
All '77-'78 351M/400 truck.
(Motorcraft EV-93)

PCV valve
D9OZ-6A666-A
All '79-up 351M/400 truck.
(Motorcraft EV-68-C)

Air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor
On M-block engines, the air cleaner heat stove consists of a sheet metal shroud around the right (passenger side) exhaust manifold, and flexible, corrugated tubing from the shroud to the bottom of the intake snorkel on the air cleaner housing. When vacuum is applied to the heat stove vacuum motor, the motor moves a diverter flap inside the snorkel to close off the normal cold air intake and open up the heat stove warm air intake.

The vacuum motor is controlled by a temperature sensing vacuum switch inside the air cleaner housing (the ACTS, described in the next section).

The following table lists air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor service part numbers for '77-up M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed where available.

Description
Part Number
ID Code
Notes

Vacuum motor
D7AZ-9D612-C

'82 351M HD truck.
(Motorcraft CX-149)

Vacuum motor
D7TZ-9D612-B
brown
'77-'81 all 351M/400 truck. '79 351M car w/ high-altitude. '82 351M LD truck. '82 400, auto/manual trans, CA/49-states.
(Motorcraft CX-120)

Vacuum motor
E2ZZ-9D612-A

'77-'79 some 351M/400 truck w/ CA emissions. '79 351M car w/o high-altitude. '82 400, auto trans, 49-states.
(Motorcraft CX-762)

Vacuum motor
D9FZ-9D612-A
pink
'82 400, auto/manual trans, CA/49-states.

Air cleaner temperature sensors
There are three different air temperature vacuum switches that Ford used in air cleaner housings:

ACTS (air cleaner temperature sensor) #9E607

TVS (temperature vacuum switch) #9A995

CWM (cold weather modulator) #9E862

The ACTS (9E607) is a thermostatic vacuum switch with a metal housing. The TVS (9A995) and CWM (9E862) are thermostatic vacuum switches with plastic housings. Calibrated open/close temperatures for these devices are indicated with color coding on the housing.

The ACTS controls the air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor by reacting to the air temperature inside the air cleaner housing. When the air temperature drops below the calibrated opening temperature of the ACTS, the valve inside the ACTS opens, supplying manifold vacuum to the air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor.

When the heat stove vacuum motor closes the diverter flap inside the intake snorkel, the engine draws intake air through the air cleaner heat stove system. When the engine has run a few minutes after a cold start, radiant heat from the exhaust manifold warms up the air drawn through the shroud, and the heat stove system supplies warm air to the engine.

When the temperature of the air inside the air cleaner housing exceeds the calibrated opening temperature of the ACTS, the valve inside the ACTS closes, cutting off the vacuum source (manifold vacuum) and bleeding the residual vacuum in the hose and the vacuum motor diaphragm. When vacuum is released from the vacuum motor diaphragm, an internal spring in the motor pushes it back to its rest position, which returns the intake snorkel diverter flap to its normal position for cold air intake.

The following table lists ACTS service part numbers specified for 1977 to 1982 M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed where available.

Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor #9E607

Ford Service P/N
Motorcraft P/N
Color Code
Notes

D0ZZ-9E607-B

blue
All 351M/400.
105°F min. open

D4FZ-9E607-B
CX-1384
green
All 351M/400.
105°F min. open

D4ZZ-9E607-A

yellow
All 351M/400.
105°F min. open

D7DZ-9E607-A
CX-146

'82 351M/400.

D7FZ-9E607-A
CX-109
brown
All 351M/400.
75°F min. open

D8TZ-9E607-A

white
All 351M/400.
90°F min. open

Color codes and specifications for 9A995, 9E607, and 9E862 air temperature vacuum switches are listed on this page.
http://web.archive.org/web/20041112125629/home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/2150carb/carb13.html
Air Temperature Sensor
Specifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the early 1970s to the late 1980s, there were three different air temperature vacuum switches that Ford used in air cleaner housings:

ACTS (air cleaner temperature sensor) #9E607 — thermostatic vacuum bleed device with a metal housing, normally open, stops bleed (i.e., transmits vacuum) when air temperature drops below a calibrated point.

TVS (temperature vacuum switch) #9A995 — thermostatic vacuum switch with a plastic housing, either normally open or normally closed, opens to pass vacuum through when air temperature rises above a calibrated point.

CWM (cold weather modulator) #9E862 — thermostatic vacuum switch with a plastic housing, either normally open or normally closed, opens to pass vacuum through when air temperature rises above a calibrated point.

Calibrated open/close temperatures for these devices are indicated with color coding on the housing.

The following tables list color codes and calibration temperatures for current OEM replacement ACTS, TVS, and CWM devices.

Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor #9E607

Color Code
Calibration

brown
open (bleed) at 75°F minimum

pink, black
open (bleed) at 90°F minimum

clear (no dot)
open (bleed) at 90°F minimum

blue, yellow, green
open (bleed) at 105°F minimum

Temperature Vacuum Switch #9A995

Color Code
Calibration

white
closes at 50°F, opens at 76°F

brown
closes at 15°F, opens at 30°F

purple
closes at 40°F, opens at 55°F

red
opens at 50°F, closes at 60°F
(normally closed)

Cold Weather Modulator #9E862

Color Code
Calibration

black
closes at 20°F, opens at 35°F

blue
closes at 40°F, opens at 55°F

green
closes at 50°F, opens at 76°F

yellow
opens at 50°F, closes at 65°F
(normally closed)

#14 ·
Next up is my site for Carburetor @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=204

Also see the Ford sub section @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=1415
this includes more Hot Links for;
Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor Depiction; "...This sensor is installed inthe cleaner tray or aircleaner line and is subjectto temperature changes within the air cleaner. At a given increase in temperature,the sensor bleeds off vacuum, permitting the air cleaner vacuum motor to open the duct door to allow fresh in while shutting off full heat..."
Source: by Ford fordinstallersupport.com @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/fes200.pdf
THIS IS AN 80.60 MB PDF doc with most parts Depictions and brief overviews in pages P5 to P13

Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor Override Valve Depiction; "...The override valve is sometimes used in addition to the air cleaner temperature sensor to control the inlet air temperature. The override valve works only when the outside air is cold, and traps vacuum in the system so the door will not switch to cold air when the vacuum drops during acceleration...."
Source: by Ford fordinstallersupport.com

Air Cleaner Vacuum Motor Depiction; The air cleaner vacuum motor operates the door within the air cleaner duct, which allows either warm or cold air to enter the engine, depending upon the temperature within the air cleaner.

On M-block engines, the air cleaner heat stove consists of a sheet metal shroud around the right (passenger side) exhaust manifold, and flexible, corrugated tubing from the shroud to the bottom of the intake snorkel on the air cleaner housing. When vacuum is applied to the heat stove vacuum motor, the motor moves a diverter flap inside the snorkel to close off the normal cold air intake and open up the heat stove warm air intake. The vacuum motor is controlled by a temperature sensing vacuum switch inside the air cleaner housing (the ACTS, described in the next section). The following table lists air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor service part numbers for '77-up M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed where available..."
Source: by Bubba (Dave R) at earthlink.net via web.archive.org

Carburetor Float Bowl Vent Solenoid Valve Depiction; This solenoid valve is part of the evaporative Emission Control System and is a normally open valve located in the fuel bowl vent line. The valve closes off the fuel bowl vent line when the engine is running, and returns to the open condition when the ignition is turned off, allowing fuel vapors to flow to the carbon canister.

Carburetor Fuel Bowl Vent Valve Depiction; The vent valve is a temperature actuated valve inserted in the carburetor-tocanister vent line. This valve is closed when the engine compartment is cold preventing fuel tank vapors from being vented through the carburetor fuel bowl, forcing them instead into the carbon canister.

Carburetor Hot Idle Compensator Depiction; The compensator may be internal or external to the carburetor and is used to cool the engine during extreme hot engine idle operation. When open, the compensator bleeds air into the manifold, which leans out the fuel/air ratio at idle. The increased air causes an increase in engine idle speed, which results in cooling of the engine.

Choke Pull Off Depiction; The choke pull off opens the choke valve to obtain the proper fuel/air ratio when the engine is cold.

Choke Thermostat Depiction; The choke thermostat is temperature sensitive and is used to position the choke valve, providing a richer fuel to air ratio when starting a cold engine.

Dashpot Depiction; The dashpot is mounted on the carburetor and aids in the control of hydrocarbon emissions during deceleration by slowing the closing of the throttle plates

Distributor Modulator Valve Depiction; The distributor modulator valve is available in one of three port versions (the illustration is a three port). This valve uses a solenoid to control vacuum air flow. The one port valve is used in the choke-pull down system. The three port valve is used in the throttle kicker system.

Distributor Modulator Valve Switch Depiction; The distributor modulator valve switch is used in many applications and functions vary by application. This valve switch opens during times of high vacuum and closes during low vacuum. It may be used to dump thermactor air, bleed air to carburetor or perform other functions.

Distributor Vacuum Control Valve Depiction; The distributor control valves listed in this catalog may be either the Type 1 or Type 2 as illustrated. These valves control vacuum to the distributor affecting spark advance.
Distributor Modulator Valve Depiction; The distributor modulator valve is available in one of three port versions (the illustration is a three port). This valve uses a solenoid to control vacuum air flow. The one port valve is used in the choke-pull down system. The three port valve is used in the throttle kicker system.
Feedback Actuator Motor Depiction; The actuator is part of the feedback control system on certain carburetors. The actuator is threaded into the carburetor body and its shaft moves a fuel metering pintle valve to produce a richer or leaner air/fuel mixture in response to signals from the EEC or MCU systems.

Feedback Control Solenoid Depiction; The feedback control solenoid is a pulsing solenoid that introduces fresh air from the air cleaner into the idle and main system vacuum passages. A signal from the ECA activates the solenoid.

Idle Tracking Switch Depiction; The idle tracking switch is a mechanically operated electrical switch mounted near the throttle linkage on certain carburetors. Uniterrupted or prolonged deceleration is detected by the switch which sends a signal to the MCU to change the vehicles carburetion and thermactor air.

Throttle Emission Control Solenoid Depiction; The throttle emission control solenoid is carburetor mounted and provides a stop for the throttle lever when the ignition is on. When the ignition is turned off, the plunger retracts to allow the throttle valves to close, preventing engine dieseling.

#17 ·
Next are VAC Diagram Acronyms;
by Seabronc;
SV CBV = Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
LCV = EGR Load Control (WOT =Wide Open Throttle) Valve
HICV = Hot Idle Control Valve
IVV = Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
VRDV = Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
(VDV = Vacuum Delay Valve)
(VRDV = Distributor Retard Delay Valve)
(DV-TW = Two Way Delay Valve)
HEAT VLV INT = Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)
ON CARB
ACT = It is the port used with the altitude compensation system
---
Posted by Steve83

A/CL DV - Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET - Air Cleaner BiMetallic valve
ACV - Air Control Valve
MAN VAC - Manifold Vacuum
EXH HCV - Exhaust Heat Control Valve
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation

TVV - Thermal Vacuum Valve

VDV - Vacuum Diverter Valve

TVS - Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka SolePot, Dashpot)
VCV - Vacuum Control Valve

TK - Throttle Kicker
FLTR - "Filter"

AIR BPV - Air ByPass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass = TAB)

BV - Bowl Vent
S - Spark port
=======

#18 ·
yo Larry!
It is disorganized, but I figure that we (someone with a good graphic program) can grab the Vac Diagram(s) and then label all the parts using Seabronc & Steve83's Acronym/Abbrev. List and also integrate em into 78brncoxlt's Parts Diagrams?

#19 ·
Here is a somewhat related question. Have any of you California guys thrown in the towel and gone with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo fuel injection system instead?

#22 ·
Now that I look at the Edelbrock website, I am amazed to see "non-emissions" on the bottom of every one of the Flo-Pro models. At this point I'm seriously thinking of picking up a junkyard 5.8 w/ AODE tranny and just doing a complete swap. I'll have to search here for others that have gone that route. I would like to keep my NP205 though.

#23 ·
WOW this is a lot of information to sort through, looks like I have my night cut out for me. Also, went to the JY today and picked up A vacuum amplifier, but out of a different car with a 351M, its a small cylinder, unlike the short one in the photo above. I got lots of little valves and pretty much grabbed whatever looked important. Didn't get much information in terms of how things are run while I was there, as it was 105 today.

#29 · (Edited)
V REST on 78/79 & early 80s is a Vacuum Restictor/Delay Valve, it delays vacuum for a certain amount of time. On most engines a vacuum line from the carburetor base runs to a T & then to V REST to the distributor
=============

It often gets confused w/

V REST Vapor Valve on later year Depictions & Location Diagrams in 5.0, 5.8, 7.5, & 4.9; "...All fuel tank vapor valves make use of a small orifice that tends to allow only vapor and not fuel to pass into the line running forward to the vapor storage canister. This assembly mounts directly to the fuel tank using a rubber seal. Fuel vapors trapped in the sealed fuel tank are vented through the orificed vapor valve assembly in the top of the tank. The vapors leave the valve assembly through a single vapor line and continue to the carbon canister for storage, until they are purged to the engine. The vapor valve assembly mounted on the top of the fuel tank is used to control the flow of fuel vapor entering the fuel tank vapor delivery line which conducts vapor forward to the canister in normal circumstances. If due to extreme conditions, excessive pressure is generated inside the tank, the purge port opens up, allowing fuel vapor to escape to the atmosphere, and stabilizes pressure inside the tank. The valve assembly has a head valve which prevents the fuel tank from overfilling during refueling operation. The valve assembly also has a spring supported float assembly, which prevents liquid fuel from entering the vapor delivery line during severe handling, steep grades or in the event of vehicle rollover. The fuel fill cap is sealed and includes a built-in pressure-vacuum relief valve. Fuel system vacuum relief is provided after 3.5 kPa (0.50 psi) and pressure relief after 11.0 kPa (1.6 psi). Under normal operating conditions, the fill cap operates as a check valve, allowing air to enter the tank as fuel is used, while preventing vapors from escaping the tank through the cap..."
by Steve83 @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/283481

#28 ·
I did and Stockton isn't too far to go if you just make a day of it. I would bet you could scoop up plenty of the parts you need. I ran out of time otherwise I would have obtained more. As it was, I was able to grab a couple of air pump brackets, a couple EGR spacer plates, some stock exhaust manifolds, a couple air cleaners and some other odds and ends. Next time I will get their early and spend a bit longer.

#30 ·
btw; The V Rest for a 79 F 150 351M is Ford part number (D7AZ12A225B) from "Green Sales Co. Cincinnati Ohio

It is the blue "V-rest" restrictor valve
Search our inventory by Ford Part Number

Quantity Part Number Update Basic Description
60 D7AZ12A225B 9/2/2010 .

1-800-543-4959
Operating hours are 8:00am-5:30 (Phone Orders until 7:00pm) Mon-Thurs Fri 8am-5:30 Eastern

Our research office will be happy to look up any Ford part number you may need @

513-731-3304

See Link for their e mail addy so you can ck for this and other parts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.