Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Exhaust "upgrade" question

4K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  miesk5 
#1 ·
I tried doing some searching on this but couldn't find a good answer. I'm leaning towards keeping my 95 5.0/auto for another couple years. Present muffler is shot and I would really like to eek out a bit more power and hopefully mpg's w/o making it significantly louder. So far, the only non-stock items are the ignition upgrade and I'll be adding an electric fan.

I don't plan on making any engine mods and don't want to do headers. What is, overall, the best upgrade from the y-pipe and back to get some decent bang for the buck? Sounds like maybe going 2.5" the whole way back? Is it easy enough to just have a shop do this?

Thanks,
BB

#2 ·
im having my exhaust put on in the next day or so. summit shortie headers, catco high flow cat, flowmaster super 44 muffler. all 2.5 inch. should free up a good amount of power. mine is straight dual pipes from the PO so its loud and crappy. i paid 375 in parts and im paying around 300 for installation seeing as i cant bend tube or weld. more then likely youll have to have them make you a custom y pipe which is what im doing

#3 ·
IMO, put a good 2.25" Y pipe and hi flow cat with a 3" single system with Magnaflow muffler. Good flow, sweet sound and no interior drone what so ever.

I let my BIL who owns a muffler shop talk me into duals with Magnaflows (couldnt argue with him, only cost me $65)and if i did it again id do what I said above.

#6 ·
Bassani is the only y-pipe I would buy, without going somewhere and getting one made. I have one on my 92 and the fit was great and improvement was immediate and noticable. The rest of the exhaust lots of people would say that 3" is the perfect single size, i think anywhere from 2.5 - 3" would be fine. Muffler or your choice. I like the super 40 sound, but also like the hooker aerochamber's. Anything flowmaster usually has a resonance somewhere, at least on anything I have ran them on, I doubt yours will be that bad with running the convertors with any muffler you choose. I would run straight pipe with just the convertors if it was my own truck.

#7 ·
If you don't have much money to spend and your truck needs money in other places just throw a different muffler up there. Get it in great running condition stock and thats about as best you will get MPG. If you don't plan on headers then don't plan on much or any gain in power.

Again if you don't plan on modding the motor then don't spend a ton of money on an exhaust system (unless you have clogged cats) that you will only gain sound from. Just throw a Magna-flow or Flowmaster muffler in place of the old and there’s your sound.

#9 ·
I bought my Bassani stainless y pipe & exhaust back in 2005 for a little shy of $1000.
I have had good luck with it and would do it again. It is a little loud in the back seat, but I don't care, I don't sit back there. It sounds really good with the topper side windows open.

#11 ·
If you dont want a loud exhaust then go with magnaflow. Magnaflow has a good rumble at idle and a really good sounding tone when you get on the gas, but overall not an extreme loud muffler. Since you are keeping the converters on, it will keep the loudness down alot!
I had a flowmaster 40 installed on my bronco and had one converter cut off and it was really loud but sounded awesome.

#13 ·
Thrush welded. Amazing sound

#14 ·
I'm currently running a 3 inch thrush on a custom y pipe and mid length headers on my 460. I wouldn't call it quiet by any stretch of the imagination...

#16 ·
yo BB,
for less $ and Exact Fit and LONG-LASTING; consider exact replacement exh parts, I use Walker, who was and prob still is Ford's OE supplier (esp for our Broncos)

Use pn's and gOOgle for sources & prices; then try locally and have them beat or match prices.
Use aluminized or SS
HANGER FITS;l and avail @ ADV AUTO, etc as well as just the muffler strap or bracket or both

consider their Super Turbo, SoundFX, Glasspack etc mufflers.

also;
As of January 1, 2009, converters in this catalog can not be sold or installed in California
Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; May require [p#:1,35574] Air Tube Kit for installation.; Replaces multiple O.E. Converters. Only failed Converters may be replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Front and Rear Standard Direct Fit 15742

Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Modifications and/or additional parts required.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Front Standard Universal 15022

Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Modifications and/or additional parts required.; May require [p#:1,35574] Air Tube Kit for installation.; Replaces multiple O.E. Converters. Only failed Converters may be replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Front and Rear Standard Universal 15142

Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Modifications and/or additional parts required.; May require [p#:1,35574] Air Tube Kit for installation.; Replaces multiple O.E. Converters. Only failed Converters may be replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Rear Standard Universal 15142

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/ecatalog_49.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.