Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

roll cage

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  DezertBronco 
#1 ·
im looking for a winter project. i think building a roll cage would be a good one. i was hoping you guys could show pics of the ones you built to help me out with ideas

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Thanks! That, in my opinion, is a must. If the cage is secure and the seats are bolted to the floor. What happens if the seats fatigue the floor over years of off-road abuse and become detached? Maybe it will never happen. It makes sense to me to have the seats be a part of the cage. That way, even if the cage becomes detached entirely from the body, you will remain suspended inside.

thats a bad ass designed cage. are you welded to the frame? wish i had your skills
I am welded to the floor in 8 spots with huge, thick plates. However, I do not have welding skills myself enough to build a cage.

I came up with the specs and design and then had a shop build it for me.

I did my best to eliminate un-needed bends or curves so it would be as strong as possible. Extra bends to make it look nice and go around air vents and such just weaken the overall structure. Also, I had mine built with full 2" DOM and 3/8" thick connections to the body.

i might do this as well over the winter, looks awesome:thumbup
Thanks, I appreciate it. :thumbup

#5 ·
It's hard to tell but the main hoop is slightly behind the metal roof, so with the fiberglass top taken off, you have all the access you need.

The pieces in the cab were welded while tipped down and then put upright and welded to the main hoop.

Hope this answers you questions.

#7 ·
i might do this as well over the winter, looks awesome:thumbup

#20 ·
square tubing is NOT stronger than round. a circle allows any force applied to it to be distributed AROUND the entire structure which is why things such as Airplanes, race level roll cages, your steering system, your entire driveline, are made in a circle. look at how the engine operates...in a rotation. a circle. any geometric figure that has a point (square, rectangle, triangle, etc) will concentrate any force applied to that point increasing the likelihood of failure. while i wont go as far as larry and say dont post it, i will tell you that in my opinion, you're making the wrong decision and anyone who cites your post as inspiration i'll tell the same thing to. but it's your rig, your life. do what you want.

#21 ·
round tubing has more strength resisting twisting forces not impact. once the integrity of to round tube is damaged say a dent.. all the force applied will impact that point and give it a crumple effect. i do agree with the load distribution being more even on round tube but however only with vertical loads. for instance... and mind you this is far fetched and no were near the strength of a roll cage. take an empty soup can and stand on it... nothing will happen right? now put a dent or put it on its side(the top of the cage) what happens? it crushes. i know thats very far fetched from an actual roll cage but i think you get the point. now with square tubing it has a greater cross section making it able to hold horizontal loads. you are also right on the loads on the corners, but it will only weaken it. not ruin the structural integrity. as far for airplanes, race level roll cages.. both are instances where weight is an important factor(i believe the percentage is 30% or so heavier than round).... as far as 1/8" in mild steel where it still has flex, add cross bracing in to distribute the load, in a roll over it will defiantly do its job. bend and absorb kinda like the crumple zone on a car. i work heavy industrial construction, mostly in auto plants, i work with just about every shape of steel there is. the only thing round tubing is ever used for is hand rail(engineered to withstand and outward and/or downward force of 250lbs) and ladders.

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
2x2x1/8 is stronger than you might think.
Cool thread, guys! :)

Yeah I can see where 2x2x1/8" -could be- strong enough for lots of stuff.

But how thick and what diameter is the typical store bought roll cage pipe?
Only worked on one of those and it was 4140 and about 1+1/2"? x3/16"?.
(we used 1+1/4" water pipe for dune buggies, many were rolled and held)

Dan, you talking about 4140 or mild steel or what?

Alvin in AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.