Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Need advice/opinions

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Robs79BBbronco 
#1 ·
I'm at a crossroads. To sell or keep my head down and charge through.

The truck had WAY more issues than what I thought it had originally. I've gotten most of them worked out, but the body is 4 different colors (though rust isn't really a problem) and the interior is gonna need some major attention.

I just had the transmission rebuilt and it is nothing short of awesome.

The mains are now going out. This is my biggest concern.

I could do an AutoZone special and do a replacement for ~$2000 by the time I change the cam that comes in it and a few other things. I've heard/read some bad things about the long blocks from them.

I can get a crate 408 long block from Summit (with free shipping and a warranty) for $3300. This is a flat tappet, iron headed engine from BluePrint Engines.

I can get a DIY kit from Woody at FordStrokers for a little over $4500 (I still have to get cam, lifters and pushrods). This engine would be an aluminum headed roller motor and, from what I understand, one of the best people to deal with when it comes to quality.

So, do I sell and take my losses? Do I take a chance with the AZ long block? Do I go middle of the road and tip my hat to BluePrint? Do I go all out and get the best I can from Woody?

If I keep it, it will be here for the long haul and won't get sold (I'll have too much in to it). It will be a daily driver, so dependability and longevity is job #1.

Sorry for the long post, but I just can't seem to make a decision on this one :banghead

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say that a major factor is the condition of the existing Bronco and Drivetrain. Investing a lot into the engine will cost more that you can currently see, such as drivetrain enhancements for a Stroker engine. For simple cost effective dependability, I would look at the AutoZone Special or similar.

#3 ·
Aside from the body looking like a rainbow, the body is 99% rust free. The transmission was just rebuilt with many upgrades inside, so I have no doubt the tranny is up to the task. U-joints etc......I couldn't tell you. This truck will not see heavy abuse, burnout contests, pulling contests etc., so I really don't see problems there, but you never know.

#4 ·
Is it your daily driver now, do you have something else to drive to work/school? Do you have the thousands to dump into it right now?

Unless it has sentiental value, I'd find another base to start with. But rather than sell what you have, part it out and keep the goodies (fresh trans) for the next one.

These things aren't worth very much even with a fresh drivetrain and clean body. Find a clean runner and build your 408 stroker as time and funds allow.

If you're kicking around dropping 5G's into the motor, you can find you a mighty clean 80-86 for that kind of money.

#5 ·
I do have another car to drive, so having it down isn't a problem. I've got the money to throw at the engine, so that isn't a problem.

When I bought it, I knew body work and interior work were in store, the engine and tranny were just little surprises that popped up.

The thing is, no matter what I have, I always upgrade/mod/change. So even if I did get a better looking base, it would still undergo a transformation.....I think I might have just answered my question......

#6 ·
If you dont have any particular attachment to the truck, Sell it and find something in better condition. Or Keep it, buy one in better condition, and use the old one for a parts truck.

Ive been struggling with this issue as well, but Ive come to the realization, that, I dont trust any work done by Previous owners. So Im just gonna do what needs to be done to the one I have, even though I could buy 3 or 4 other trucks with the money its gonna cost. Stupid, maybe, but the end product will be worth it. Besides, by then, I will know every nut, bolt, and circuit in the truck and should be able to figure anything out.

#7 ·
If you are the kind of guy who is going to put a motor in it, paint it, and redo the interior anyways, might as well keep the devil you know.

But if paint and interior are of secondary concern, I'd buy something that didn't need immediate body work.

After building and restoring my F100 over the past 11 years, I really wish I would have started with a nicer base and held out for what I really wanted (short bed, 4x4).

#10 ·
Carbs are our friends :thumbup

I'm just really tired of messing with injection. I've done an '01 Cobra, several trucks....too many vehicles to list honestly. On every one of those builds the question kept coming up "will it work with the computer", "can my dyno guy get everything dialed in just right", "I can't run this cam because of the computer"......

I like the K.I.S.S. ideology a lot better. :beer

So I've decided to cut my losses and find a better start. Here's what I've found so far:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3557581633.html He failed to list a price and hasn't returned text, so that one may be unobtainable

http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/3529743885.html Supposed to look at this one today. Said he would take $2k

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3575636059.html Having a transmission shop in the family is really starting to pay off

Of the EFI trucks listed, they will be converted to the dark side, so whatever I end up with, if anyone needs the harness, intake etc. I'll have a complete setup for sale.

#9 ·
I bought a 96 that looked good but had 225k miles and a rod knock - hoping to just rebuild the motor and be happy. I realize now I will end up repainting and reupholstering seats. I say keep what you got if no rust (rust and/or damage is a deal breaker for me).

Carl

#12 ·
The 94 looks good (in the picture anyway), but I always liked the big ole 460's (got a couple stashed in the back of the shop just in case :)

Carl

#17 ·
No emissions for me :rockon. Whatever I get, I plan on keeping.

Ford DD duty, I'm leaning toward the '87 and I'm going to look at it today. Now I just have to find out how hard it is to put a c6 in place of the AOD.
if you are going to frankenstein whatever bronco you get, why not just keep what you have and mod away?

#15 ·
yo
For another short or long block, here is another option to all the good stuff that was presented by the guys here;
Get a price locally, then check out

Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, Broncos & all Ford vehicles
Source: by FORD @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ptm200.pdf 19 MB pdf

get some estimates from the; Distributors (listed in each Catalog above) & Ford; Ford has a good guarantee and the Qual is up there. And the Ford reman trannys/engines do not need to be installed by a Ford Dealer
Look at this Excerpt;
"...Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured
Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides that Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford or Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford that is found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
Retail Customers: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealership or return to the Installer who
originally installed the Ford or Motorcraft Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. Please have your original dated receipt for installation date verification.
Complete Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7003)
• 36 months or 36,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage Short Blocks (6009/6V009), Cylinder Heads (6049/6V049) and Crankshaft Kits (6303/6V303) for Gas Engines
• 12 months or 12,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage
Warranty Start Date
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines installed by the Dealer or Installer—warranty begins on the date of installation
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold by Dealer or Installer over-the-counter or to a retail purchaser—
on the date of sale
Limitations to the Warranty
The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty
• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold
over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer..."

read more incl the;
"No-Risk" Core Return policy means accurate quotes for engine and transmissions are no problem. 100 percent core credit will be given (regardless of damage or quality of returned core); just follow these guidelines and the return runs
smoothly.
• Returned core is the same part as the assembly purchased
• Core is 100% complete with all parts attached and all fluids drained and is returned in original package..."
======
Halli wrote on 30 DEC 2010 that
For a Ford Reman 5.8l long block it is 2308.00 exchange.
2210.00 for a 5.0l
These are Ford dealer prices in the Mid-South

Reman 5.0 = $1914.56
===
j. r. Nice wrote on 5 MAY 2012, Ford crate 5.0 H.O was about $1900. My local rebuild on my 5.8 was about $2300.

radiolotek wrote on 19 May 2012, $2300. For a complete assembly (1995 5.8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.