Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

dana 44 ttb used for ifs rear?

18K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  pfun41 
#1 ·
ok i will gladly admit i am a noobie at this but i was wondering if anyone ever thought or tried to take a front ttb dana 44 and create a rear ifs setup with it?

#5 ·
your link sucks
It should bring up a google search of the rear TTB ranger that's pretty widely known.

Does it not do that?

#6 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
Why not use the independent 8.8 center and make you own a-arms. Seams like it would be a better way to go and would leave the driveshaft centered and tucked up high. Doing a arms would greatly reduce camber change during suspension cycling. The a arms could be made with some dom and hiems. Im thinking out loud but you could use a leaf spring flipped upside down and turned 90 degrees from its current position as a way to put it on springs.

#9 ·
@JBFab - I had a '77 Corvette, and what you're describing is the rear suspension of that vette, right down to the single traverse leaf spring.

#10 ·
All IRS Vettes (except maybe the current body) use that setup.

Using a front axle in the back is just as bad as a rear axle up front - the gears aren't designed for that kind of load on their coast faces, and the oiling pattern doesn't work in reverse; especially not upside-down. Axles aren't designed to work in space; they need gravity to be where it was expected to be during the design. And they need the ring gear to spin the direction it was expected to spin for any significant loads to be handled.

#12 ·
would be kind of a waist but might make a good prerunning setup if done right. would have to regear it with normal gears instead of reverse cut. would have to find a way to get the diff center or the u-joints might have alot of angle. the actual strength wouldnt be there compared to an 8.8. the only reason to do this is 4 wheel steering. even then id say a Dana 60 would be a better choice. i blew up my 96 dana 44 diff from driving around front wheel drive for about 3 weeks, imagine doing that all the time?

#13 ·
Just a thought here,

Would it not be easier to use an IRS 8.8 out of a Thunderbird or Mustang for this

I'm thinking it would require less fab work, the Diff housing should be able to sit higher giving more clearance, it is designed for the rear and all of the parts are all factory parts.

????

#35 ·
gotta say that looks really baddass. looks very simple also. take the engine crossmember and put it on the rear. put some long radius arms on with some coil buckets. figuer out steering which shouldnt be too hard and good. cut and turned beams and you have lots of ground clearance and good flex. actually looks easier than a solid D44

#33 ·
D44 wouldn't hold up worth a shit in the rear. Why you would want to out a gawd awful front IFS system in the rear of a good solid is beyond me.

Guess you guys like replacing tires and parts. TTB handles bad enough up front, imagine camber changes like that in the rear too and toe if it's rear steer!

Once you drive a truck with a SFA you will not want to go back. I mean it get's the job done on a DD but a solid is so much better.

Too much work for no return.

#34 ·
D44 wouldn't hold up worth a shit in the rear.
:rolleyes: Looks like SEVERAL of them are. :shrug
Guess you guys like replacing tires and parts.
What "guys"? :scratchhe And are you suggesting that tires & parts NEVER need to be changed on solid axles? :histerica
...imagine camber changes like that in the rear too and toe if it's rear steer!
Just because it has a TTB rear w/steering, that doesn't mean it has to use the same suspension or steering linkages. A TTB can be installed such that camber changes FAR LESS than the stock front suspension. But who really cares about toe & camber on a rock crawler buggy?
Once you drive a truck with a SFA you will not want to go back.
Wrong again. :popc1:
Too much work for no return.
Yes, it's too much work for most people, but there ARE returns: rear steering, more ground clearance, more travel, cheaper donor axles (to replace all the ones you destroy).

#40 ·
If the 06 Expo's had IRS I would like to see pics from different angles.
I was intending to do a rear disc upgrade and I am checking out my options for upgrade to the entire rear end. I want to have a whole rear unit fabbed up and then be able to drop and swap.

#46 ·
I have an 06 Exp if you want any pics @ Steve
Thanks, but I've seen them, changed the rear A/C lines on one (which run past the rear diff), changed the rear diff seals on another, and I have the '06 service manuals.
Well if you through enough money at anything it can be good.
I guarantee Ford threw more money at the TTB than anyone did on a SAS, so by your logic, the TTB must be good.
TTB definitely wears tires more than a SFA just because of the constant chnage in camber and toe when the suspension cycles.
SFA definitely wears tires more than a TTB because people put big soft-compound mud tires on them and then drive down the highway until the tires are bald.
SFA handles a LOT better than TTB and my 93 F350 rides just as good as my 95 F150.
:histerica You must have an iron butt. Vehicles that handle well DON'T have solid axles at either end. How fast does a Corvette do the Nurburgring? How fast does an STS do it? How fast do you think your F350 would do it?
I can't imagine a TTB 44 holding up very long on the rear of a FULL SIZE rig.
Me either. The pic shows it on a ROCK BUGGY. :rolleyes:
The only reason I can see to think about rear TTB is pre-runner...
:histerica Do you know what a prerunner is? They're arguably the most-abused vehicles on the planet. That would be the WORST application for a rear TTB.
If it was a good idea you'd see everyone doing it...
Wrong again. :popc1: People are dumb. They can see a good idea for years (or THOUSANDS of years) and not catch on.
see i was thinking of something along these lines but fabbed from a dana44 ttb and it could have rear steering or not just fab a 4 link and a arms...
Then it wouldn't be a TTB, and there would be no reason to even start with those big arms. :shrug That looks like it was built off a '97-up F150 8.8" IFS, or maybe an Explorer or Mk.VIII 8.8" IRS.

#43 ·
thanks 351w500 i was wondering if i wasn't making sense lol i figure you can find plenty of the ttb dana 44 in junk yards and mod them and use the slip joint axle to compensate for the travel hell you could probably carry an extra modified diff with you and change it in the field if it broke

#44 ·
I think with enough smarts, ability to fab what you need and the equipment to do it and it is definitely possible.

Hell you may even pull off something that could inspire others to try what you've accomplished.

If you do attempt something like this you definitely need to take a lot of progress photos, do a lot of posting along the way, ask technical questions (there are some great guys here who will help you through some of your technical hurdles) and last and most importantly test out what you have done to show how operable and durable it is.

No matter how cool something is, it doesn't really mean much if it's not functional and durable.

Keeps posted !
:beer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.