Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

RAttling Sound

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  BeatNursery 
#1 · (Edited)
I have checked everything that is attached to the serpentine belt and replaced all worn parts. I have recently had my transmission rebuilt. Had to take it back to the shop because the first time they put a shitty torque converter in it (so they say). The same shop also did my rear diff. (which also is still whinning.) I pulled codes and from the best that I can tell they were :

28 VAT sensor out of self test range.

86 3&4 Shift solenoid circuit failure.

62 Converter clutch error (E4OD).

86 Adaptive fuel limit reached.

28 Loss of IDM, right side.

When I rev engine to about 1500 rpm this grinding sounds (maybe like bad bearings) radiates through the truck. The shop claims it is the exhaust. Its original and is entirely possible. However, This rattling only happens when I'm in drive. Not reverse or neutral. I can't afford to replace exhaust at this point after dropping a huge chunk of change on the tranny and diff. Please help. :whiteflag

See less See more
#2 ·
you said you checked everything by the belt, makes me think the noise is coming from the front. try removing the belt and see if the noise persists. if nothing else it helps eliminate any pulley. as far as the codes, a few of those pertain to the trans, like the trans shop didnt clear the codes or theres still a problem in the trans, try clearing the codes (disconnecting the battery for a bit) and see what returns. if the exhaust rattles its generally a heat shield or the guts in the cat have broken loose the high tech way to check is to punch the exhaust and listen for the noise. hope that helps

#5 ·
Isolation

I am going to post a video of the codes I pulled.. I am definitely not pro at reading these codes. The rattles only happen at 1500 rpm and in drive... If I hit the brake and hit the gas at the same time I can usually recreate this phenomenon. Not sure that I want to sit under the truck to listen for this while that process happens. :banghead

#11 ·
Engine... Rebuilt too? Stock? Got a cam? Know anything about the torque converter? Stall? With the symptoms you describe, noises you hear, location of them and the code you are throwing I would blame the torque converter. I've had a ballooned torque converter with these same symptoms.

#12 ·
Nothing done to the engine (yet). Everything is stock so far except for the Punisher valve body I had them put on the trans. I dont know what kind of torque converter they used but if it is the TC then I hope the third time is a charm. Maybe I should drive to Houston...

#13 ·
I also have the rattling down low. It is the exhaust, we narrowed it down to the stupid shield. I have a laundry list of stuff to do on my bko so that will get fixed later. But I would check your exhaust over good, if it's original it is gonna start happening. I had two of the original hangers break in the first week that I bought it. Sucked but I knew what I was getting into and enjoy fixing stuff...

#14 ·
exhaust

Yeah... I found a muffler shop to do a High flow cat and a new muffler. Shes going to be a bit louder. Hopefully no rattle. Im going to try and get them to use 3" pipes. :goodfinge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.