Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

460 Build (56k Beware)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  amsimonsjs 
#1 ·
Allright, so I've been a lurker for a long time, just taking in the wealth of info on this site.

I can't post anywhere else, so I thought I'd just post my build thread here.

I just recently acquired a 1997? fuel injected 460, more than likely out of an
F2-350 (It says 1997 on the EPA sticker, so I assume is a 97).

This 460 came already mounted on a bronco frame (pre-92 since it has no crumple zones.) According to the P/O, the truck was rolled and the body sold for scrap. :twak The truck seems to have an E4OD that has has rebuilt ford sticker on it with a marked date from 2004.

Pretty much this is going to be a slow build as I have other vehicles to tend to, but hopefully I can make my dream truck a reality.

Before I move on with the photos, my main concern at this point would be the suspension on that truck. It looks like a SAS is a good idea, but I won't be running anything larger than 35's on that rig. I'd like to keep cost to a minimum.

The frame looks like its been sitting for a while (guy told me 5 months).

I bought the frame dirt cheap, so nothing has been tested.

I'm not sure which route to go yet, so I'd like y'alls opinion on what I should do with this thing.

Oh btw, I have a '93 Bronco with a 351 in it, with a 4" lift.

I'm not sure how much lift the frame has, but it looks like a 6" though. Drop bracket has been welded to the c-member so that's a good sign. Its missing several suspension pieces.

Allright, nuff bullcrap, on with the photos!

This is my current truck, 351 powered '93.

It has gone quite a long time without any suspension maintenance, and now the truck is not driveable. It has major vibrations starting at 40 mph, and it pulls hard to the left. I thought about pulling the suspension from the other frame, but it seems as if they're both in the same shape.

I'm at a crossroads now in deciding where to go with this. Its either go all out and do the 460 swap, or get the suspension good so I can at least drive it (My DD is not doing too good now.)

It almost looks as if my front TTB has shifted back a bit. Look at how the spring is not straight up and down, but has a curve to the right. It rubs when pulling out of my driveway with the tires full lock to the left. This could also be from sagging suspension due to shitty/missing/broken shocks.

Let me know what you guys think and what I should do. I'd like to get the Bronco back on the road, but then again I'd like to see the 460 become a reality. I just think that swap will cost me way too much money right now, unless you guys think I can do it with what I have now.

Thanks!!

-Alex

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks like a body on frame swap would be the most logical thing to do at this point.

I'll need an ECM for the '97 460. There seem to be several ECM part numbers for that engine model year.

I'm very comfortable with the 4" lift as I still fit in most parking garages around here.

Should I run the TTB with the 460? A solid front axle seems the way to go, but money is tight.

It will see 70% road /30% offroad. My version of offroad is probrably nothing compared to others on here. Just light trails in the everglades, maybe some mud every now and then.

This will be an ongoing project, among others.

Thanks for moving this to the right section. Apologies for obsolete warning message.

#7 · (Edited)
IF the engine and trans is good in the '93, and the only thing wrong with it is suspension maintenance, then the "logical" thing in my mind would be to just go through the suspension. it's easy and cheap to change the bushings and shocks. and you can do an alignment with a measuring tape.

either way, get rid of those RA drop brackets and get extended RA's (radius arms) and stock brackets on the frame 15" back. RA drop brackets lead to problems.

TTB isn't as bad as some make it out to be. as a matter of fact, some (like me) prefer TTB over a "solid" axle. it has a few very notable advantages.

If you DO decide to do the frame swap, I don't think a stock EFI 460 will have a ton more power than the 351w you currently have (it will use more fuel though).

on the other hand, if your willing to give up fuel injection, and you have a few grand to spend on engine building, that 460 has a lot of potential for horsepower.

#8 ·
My truck currently has about 164k. Truck starts right up every time, just leaks oil. Trans has a hard clunk into 2nd gear. Other than that just needs suspension and tires to be addressed.

I may go through the 460 and do some upgrades before I put it in, not looking to do crazy stuff but looking for that low end grunt that the 460 has. I have a '71 Lincoln Mark III with the 460, so I know what that's like :toothless

Hopefully this will turn out well.

My plan is to go through the parts frame and disassemble everything, paint it all up and fit it all back together. There are some aspects of the way the 460 was installed that need to be improved on.

Should I use the parts frame or my '93 (crumple zone) frame?

I think I'll do fine with the TTB and my 33's for now.

Thanks

-Alex

#11 ·
Sounds like you have your mind made up, you want to do the big project and use the 460. so what else is there to consider?

btw you're going to need new tires either way, so you can't really count that against the logic of maintenance on your '93. for that matter there is no logical argument for replacing the frame on the '93, since all those bushings and such will need replacement on the bare frame as well.

what this really boils down to is weather it's a good idea to replace your existing (good running) 351w and transmission with an unknown 460.
the 460 swap WILL cost you more money no doubt about it.
the 460 swap WILL cost you far more time and work, no doubt.

that said, if you're craving a big project and a 460 swap, go for it :thumbup
but you first gotta weigh out the facts above.

#10 ·
Fix your current truck. Then toy around with the 460 to get it running. If the engine is good go start planning for a swap. If you decide that your are going to do anything performance wise with that 460, sell it and find an earlier model. Because if you are not going to keep EFI you are better off finding another $250 460 to start with, all you have now is a shortblock that you can use. EFI heads and intakes are different than the carb versions. You cant swap a carb intake on those heads. Also if you don't keep the efi you may as well sell that trans with the engine. You wont be able to use that either everything is computer controlled.

#13 ·
A 460 build is what I planned on, so it'll happen either way.

I plan on keeping it EFI, preferably with a MegaSquirt, AEM, or similar. I know I'll need an aftermarket controller for the E4OD. I want to get rid of the batch fire injection, as well as tune it to the nth degree.

I'd like this truck to get at least 10mpg hwy.

I'm currently doing timing chain work on my '06 Nissan Altima, so I can get it back to DD duties. Bronco is way too heavy on gas for city driving. After that, I can dedicate as much time as needed for the Bronco.

I'm still having ideas about what to do with my 351 frame after the swap is done. I wouldn't mind another Bronco if I can find a good body. I would love a clean 80-86.

Was comparing a friend of mine's Bronco with my own, and it appears my suspension hasn't shifted back or anything, it just needs some maintenance and new tires to be good. That 2nd gear shift is a pain though. It always starts with a high idle too, no matter the temp.

I'll get my 93 up to par with suspension and tires and when the frame is prepped and ready I'll transfer everything over. Is there a way to tell what year frame that is?

I love my Bronco so much I named my dog after it! :thumbup

Thanks again for the constructive criticism, keep it comin! :beer

-Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.