Which Intake for 347 Build?

• Bronco

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Mountaineer/Exploder/"Cobra"

Votes: 3 37.5%

Truck or Mounty Intake for 347 build?

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Sloride75 
#1 ·
Well, my 86's 302 is getting tired. I've already pulled a junkyard 5.0 out of a 98 Mountaineer and plan on building a 347 out of it. The goal is to have a 300-350hp and 350-400tq for daily driving, towing and offroading. I've done quite a bit research and reading. I plan on using the GT40P heads, and doing a MAF conversion, mostly with parts I've already pulled. I will probably use a TwEECer to get it dialed in, when the time comes. I'm in no rush, as the current motor is still getting me to work and back (most of the time, haha).

I've read that the stock 5.0 Truck/Bronco intake is good. I've read that the stock Mountaineer intake is good, and is basically the same as the Cobra intake.

So my question is, will the stock Bronco intake feed a 347, or should I use the Mountaineer? I would prefer to use the Bronco intake, to avoid having to deal with throttle and, more importantly, TV cable linkage issues associated with a different intake. But if the "Cobra" intake is going to net "huge" gains over the Bronco intake, I'll go that route.

Supporting info:
Wide ratio AOD
9" rear w/ 4.11's
35" BFG Muds

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay Sloride

, since you're looking for comments and critiques I'll give you my two cents on your combo.

I've always read here that while the 5.8 stock truck intake leaves plenty to be desired, the same is not true of our 5.0 truck intakes.

They're supposed to be great for low end torque production and almost as good as aftermarket intakes at the top end (where our trucks rarely operate BTW).

I have no idea how much these fancy dew, higher rpm intakes cost, but I imagine they ain't cheap. I also know your GT40 heads ain't gonna recondition theyz-sef's for nuthin' neither !

You take that cookie jar money from both of those proposed "N-Deavours" and git yersef' a pair of brand new (ready to bolt on) AFR-165 aluminum cylinder heads and you'll be further ahead muh friend.

-brand new castings, valves, guides, seats seals, etc. True bolt-on

-aluminum means you still use 87 octane at nearly 9.65:1 compression

-you get that compression boost to help mileage and power

Articles here;

http://www.airflowresearch.com/articles_sbf.php

and specifically here;

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article087/A-P1.htm

prove you get 100 hp AND 100 ft/lbs of torque with NO other changes. Even using the stock cam. Your GT-40s ain't-a-gonna git you anywhere near that !

These heads don't just beat ALL others at the high end, they beat EVERYONE right off the valve seat at low lifts (where trucks operate)

You asked

Sixlitre

#5 ·
I dont have any experience with the performance of the truck 302 intake. When I was researching an intake upgrade for my 5.0 Mustang, I read over and over how the truck intake was awesome for the low end. IIRC, the hot ticket was a truck lower with a Hartman upper. Back then, I ended up going with the explorer setup. It was bolt-in.

Anyway, I would use the Bronco intake just to aviod having to re-route throttle cable, TV cable, intake tubing, etc. Also, 347s are torque monsters. In a heavy Bronco, you want the torque more than the HP.

#6 ·
Get yourself one of these......$680 @ Summit or Jegs

One of these...$18.00 @ summit

A set of these... $28.00 @ Summit

Then one of these...$349.00 @ Jegs

A set of these AFR HEads....$1500.00 @ Jegs

One of these......$300.00

and a custom tune for $250

One of these.....$225.00 @ Jegs

Then hold on to the wheel.

#12 ·
Get yourself one of these......$680 @ Summit or Jegs

One of these...$18.00 @ summit

A set of these... $28.00 @ Summit

Then one of these...$349.00 @ Jegs

A set of these AFR HEads....$1500.00 @ Jegs

One of these......$300.00
and a custom tune for $250

One of these.....$225.00 @ Jegs

Then hold on to the wheel.
= $3350, and I haven't even touched the block or rotating assembly!!!:whiteflag

#10 ·
...from both of those proposed "N-Deavours" and git yersef' a pair of brand new (ready to bolt on) AFR-165 aluminum cylinder heads and you'll be further ahead muh friend...
By "both", do you mean heads and stroker?

Great links, thanks!

prove you get 100 hp AND 100 ft/lbs of torque with NO other changes. Even using the stock cam.
100 hp at 6200 rpm and 100 ft/lbs at 4300 rpm

Your GT-40s ain't-a-gonna git you anywhere near that !
Nope, but I don't plan on spinning it that fast either! ;)

You asked

I did, and I sincerely thank you for the reply!!!

I figure I'm gonna rebuild the bottom end, might as well spend a (relatively) little more and make it a stroker. I think my stated goals are (relatively) conservative, and the ole iron heads should support it. I figure this way, if I ever do want to get crazy with it, I can swap the heads later...but doing so would also, I think, require new throttle body, new injectors, fuel pump, etc.

Thanks again for the input!

#19 ·
By "both", do you mean heads and stroker?

!
Sloride

by both I meant adding the price of an only marginally better aftermarket intake and the cost of reconditioning used GT-40 heads together.

I meant I believed you'd find that those two costs, together, approached the price of a set of brand new AFR-165 heads (which would produce more power and torque than the GT-40 heads and aftermarket intake).

Sixlitre

#15 ·
A Solid 347 Stroker will run you north of $8000 properly put together to last and thats not including all the other things you need to do to properly support it. Like higher flow fuel pump, top quality fuel filter, top quality fuel lines, top quality fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors, Upgraded transmission to deal with the increased torque, re-building and balancing your driveshaft, beefing up your rear end, upgrading your brakes, etc, etc, etc, its a never ending cycle.

Upgrading just one part of the system puts alot of stress on the other components. You dont HAVE to do all the other upgrades at once, you can wait for each to break and fix it then. :D

#17 ·
although i agree there will be more strain on the rest of the drivetrain, your not building anything insane here. I would stick to the stock bronco intake and do a gasket port job if your looking for that little extra. as far as afr vs gt40, i would closely look at the price comparison, you wont make that much more power with them (the afrs) but youll loose poundage and gain timing advance per octane. Also, if you decide to add boost (best hp/$ w/o question) down the road, aluminum will hod up much better.

i have a 342 stroker going in my stang (obv. built for higher revs but not a race motor), makes 390 rwhp with no boost, afr 185s, anderson out of box cam, and 590 rwhp with 11 pounds and a touch of meth cooling.

#21 ·
although i agree there will be more strain on the rest of the drivetrain, your not building anything insane here.

as far as afr vs gt40, i would closely look at the price comparison, you wont make that much more power with them (the afrs) but youll loose poundage and gain timing advance per octane.

Also, if you decide to add boost (best hp/$ w/o question) down the road, aluminum will hod up much better.
:stupid
Couldn't agree more ponyboy88 AND he gets brand new components and heads with the AFRs, not just reconditioned used GT-40 parts.

The 9.65:1 compression ratio in an iron head would move him into premium fuel, but with aluminum heads the engine will behave more like 8.65:1 as far as fuel requirements(octane) are concerned.

That much is having your cake and eating it too.

Sixlitre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.