Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1990 XLT transfer case or transmission problem

9K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  byoc21 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been searching the forums for weeks but I am not really sure what I am looking for so I need a little help. I have a 1990 XLT with the 351w and an automatic transmission I would guess E4OD. The 4x4 is manual with manual hubs.

Recently it would not go into reverse and would make a loud humming noise like radio static but it eventually shifted into it so I could get out of a parking space. Later it did the same thing when coasting around 55 in drive but only lasted a few seconds. After that I was going about 45 when it made the noise but there was also extremely loud banging, grinding, and every undesirable noise you can imagine. Now it won't shift into any gear and makes the the noises if attempted which I will not do again. :shrug

I don't know if this means the tranny is shot or the transfer case or what and if it is worth repairing since this Bronco is pretty rusted out. I am just partial to it and would hate to see it go. Not sure what to do here.

#3 ·
Ive had a shift fork in my transfer case break already. Left me stranded at a gas pump. Thought i blew out my trans but it ended up being the tcase. They are easy enough to tear into with simple hand tools. Do a search here i believe theres a write up on how to do so including a tool list.

#7 ·
Sounds like the T-case. Almost certainly the shift forks. I would take it apart. It can be rebuilt fairly eazy. Also they can be had a the yards pretty cheap.

BTY- it's not real heavy either. I've pulled mine many times without a jack. Just unbolt it and get under it and press it. (maybe 80 lbs.) It will not fall when unbolted, it has to be slid back abit.

#8 · (Edited)
My money is on your transfercase. Common problem with them. You could try putting the case into 4 low and see if it'll move the truck.

Regardless I'd reccomend tearing the case apart if for no other reason than to fix the stay-arm. Here's links to a couple write-ups:

Allfordman's
Shadowfax's
Here's a exploded diagram of the 1356 (shamelessly swiped off Steve83's collection)

Parts links are posted on Fordman's and Shadowfax's write-ups. I used tbtrans.com and was happy with their service. The entire job can be done with handtools, except getting the yokes off. I took mine to a local tire shop that rattled the nuts off for me. Ask away if you have questions.

#9 ·
If you get grinding nose when placing the Trans back into park after trying to get the truck to move, it's the transfer case. This is because the output shaft of the Trans is still moving. Thus meaning your Trans is good.

#10 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I do get the noise when going back into park so that's a good sign. Before I tore it apart I wanted to see if I could find a decently cheap one and I think I have for $75 but I want to make sure they are interchangeable and it's worth it.

Here are pictures of the one on there:

And the "new" one:

My concerns are that I don't see on the old one those two holes closest to the front on the new one, the numbers are different, and I don't see any drain plugs.

#11 ·
My advice, rebuild the one you have. Any used one will have the stay-arm issue unless it has already been dealt with, which you won't know. If that tcase has over 160k miles on it then the stay-arm is going to be a problem. It's not really a hard fix and does not take much in the line of special tools.

As for the "new" one, it should fit. Take off the transmission adaptor first though, obviously. I do see the drain plugs in the first picture of it. I cannot read the numbers in this photo and am not sure what holes you are talking about.

Edit: One thing I cannot see in the picture either is the speedo sensor hole in the tail housing. Is that case off a 92-96? I believe they changed that part, since they do not have a speedo cable.

#19 ·
This

It kinda grinds going back into park in 2wd. When in 4wd it all seems to work just fine.
If the output shaft is turning (meaning your trans is supplying output to the transfer case), you'll hear a grind from the park gear when putting back into park because nothing (transfer case) is keeping is locked. While in 4wd, it's keeping it locked and you won't hear it and your reverse works.

#20 ·
Ok so I just got in my truck and it went into reverse just fine in 2wd. However it still makes like a Noise like a bearing that's loose and spinning to fast. And when I start slowing down the sound also starts to diminish, then fades away around 15 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#21 ·
Well I finally found the time and got the tools I needed and pulled my case. The problem was the arm that often goes bad was broken and it tore up a lot of the pieces around there. I rebuilt it using some used parts from the other one I have. It seems to be working in my garage. I still have to put it on the truck though. Hopefully this holds up for awhile until I can put some new parts in it. My first snap ring took me forever to take off and now its pretty easy. Thank you everyone for the help.

My advice to other people is that this is fairly easy to do when you never have before if you follow the write ups on here. They are great.

Does anyone have any insight for Wperry?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.