Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Throttle and TV Cable Adjustment

45K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  penstar4ever 
#1 ·
Hi- I have a 1987 Bronco with a 5.0 L 302 V8 and a AOD transmission. My transmission has always shifted roughly and not at the right time. Its always seems like it gears down when its not supposed to, then gears back up again. Basically, going in between gears constantly. It also seems like it revs up the rpm's before it finally switches to the next gear, especially in the lower gears. I was told the only way to adjust the transmission on a AOD Transmission is to adjust the TV Cable. How do you go by doing this? In addition, the throttle is pretty stiff and seems to stick sometimes. Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable also? I would told to lubricate the cables real well.
Thanks-

#15 ·
#4 ·
Do exactly as the video says. An improper adjustment on that tranny can result in premature failure.

I believe that your issue is most likely from the TV cable being out of adjustment. Kicking in and out, and holding low gears for a long time is a sign that it needs it.

#6 ·
Do exactly as the video says.
Sounds like its too tight. Like it's registering too much throttle pressure, since its kicking in and out.

#8 ·
some other questions-how's the truck otherwise? milage, maintenance, etc. you note that it has always done this, since new, or since you've had it? I ask because I doubt the tv cable stretched or slackened that much over time. I've seen the odd shift and hopping in and out of overdrive on a 302/oad in an f150 and it turned out to be a intake leak. truck didn't idle fast, ran smooth, etc, but there was just enough torque loss from that lost cylinder that your foot had to be more in it to go, which in turn affected the tv cable, since it is attached to the same butterfly linkage as the throttle cable. might do a quick check of your spark plugs and see if one or more of them look fouled, lean, etc. you might find something else is the root cause of the shift issue. this chart is helpful if you don't have a mechanic buddy reading to analyze the plugs
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

#9 ·
Thanks-
I am changing the spark plugs, wires, and replacing the ignition coil soon. The Transmission was flushed not too long ago, but I will check the Transmission Fluid for the heck of it. What about adjusting the cable that comes from the actual accelerator pedal? It seems stiff and almost seems to stick a little at times.
Thanks-

#11 ·
I actually think it was too loose, its better now. I basically followed the video and maybe put a very minute amount of tension on the cable adjusting it. But, it shifts smoother now. It does do the back and forth thing between gears, but its better. Before it was letting the rpms run up before it would shift.
Thanks-

#14 ·
Adjust TV cable so it not or loose but "neutral" just like video says. Also is your tranny fluid low? Are you driving in OD or D? If you're doing a lot of around town driving in OD tranny is constantly gonna be switching between 3rd and OD. Put it in D around town and in OD on the interstate at speeds of 60 and above.

#16 ·
#17 ·
....Meisk uhm...reading, better than video?

REALLY?

:toothless

#18 ·
yo Walt!
Ken's Video shows the manual adjustment process; Ford/Steve's shows the same plus the so-called "preferred method" (see Baumann/TCI, etc for their recommendations, some Links below) using a pressure gauge.
The vid is ok, but I'd jump on da gauge process.

Throttle Valve (TV) Cable Adjustment; Using a 100 psi pressure gauge to the TV port on transmission - "...NOTHING can ruin an AOD transmission as quickly as improper TV settings. If you are unclear or uncomfortable with the procedure do not attempt this adjustment yourself. This information is meant to supplement, not replace, information that can be found in Ford service manuals for adjusting the TV pressure..."
Source: by tciauto.com

Throttle Valve (TV) Cable Adjustment; Using a 100 psi pressure gauge to the TV port on transmission; "...If you don't have a gauge, or you are looking for a roughly correct place to start, you can remove the cable from the throttle body lever, and adjust it so that the cable is neither slack, nor under tension when the cable is reinstalled on the throttle body lever. This will get you fairly close. We do not reccomend this for a final setting. You should always use a gauge to verify your TV setting..."
Source: by Mike B at Baumann Engineering baumannengineering.com

Throttle Valve (TV) Cable & Adjustment; "The best way to set the TV pressure is with a pressure gauge tapped into the side port of the transmission.. There is a tool you put on the end of the TV cable to set some preload and then you adjust the TV cable so that it reads exactly 5 PSI..(in neutral, with the motor warm)..." read more
Source: by MYLITTLEHO at corral.net via magnumpi at FSB

#19 ·
just messing with ya, the more info the better.

#20 ·
ok..lol.. you are hereby entitled to 3 More Messin' With Me posts as an Early Christmas Present from us...:thumbup

Yeah, more is better... Would like to see what a tranny shop charges for the adjustment, both versions.

Sixlitre had his done with a free bushing install by a local good-guy mechanic up there in da frozen North

#21 ·
ok..lol.. you are hereby entitled to 3 More Messin' With Me posts as an Early Christmas Present from us...:thumbup

Yeah, more is better... Would like to see what a tranny shop charges for the adjustment, both versions.

Sixlitre had his done with a free bushing install by a local good-guy mechanic up there in da frozen North
SWEEEET!!! I'm going to hold you to that. :thumbup :rofl:

#22 ·
I had some shifting issues ( Waltman knows all about it :p ) after valve cover gasket replacement. Normally been told it shouldn't happen but it did in my situation. The tranny started to shift way to early and down shift too early (I can't remember if it down shifted too early before)

My regular mechanic reset the TV cable back to factory settings. That didn't fix the up shifting too fast. He then reset it using pressure gauge(s) but it still shifted too early. So finally he remembered that back in the day when he worked on F150/Broncos if the AOD's had a shift kit in them you have to adjust the cable a bit differently. All it took was a small adjustment (I can't remembered if he reduced the slack or tightened it up) and auto magically the up shifting went back to normal.

#23 ·
After my "tweaking" yesterday, I had the TV cable checked by an Transmission Shop. I had it set pretty much perfect. However, they discovered that the ATF was overfilled by whoever changed it last time and that it was a little burned. I didin't want them pushing unnecessary measures, so i d figure I would consult with some people first. What could this be? Does the ATF just need to be changed?
Thanks-

#25 ·
Looks fine to me. Seems like they were just trying to say that to have me spend some $$ on a flush or even worse find a minor problem inside and say i need a tranny rebuild. I just had it changed a few years ago. I think its fine. The only thing is when they flushed it, they way overfilled it, dunno what you do about that.

#27 ·
considering you just wrote; " just had it changed a few years ago.".. I change mine according to the Ford Severe Duty Maintenance Schedule

#29 ·
I don't know much about transmissions, but the C-6 also has a band adjustment. As far as that picture, the cable shouldn't have that much slack. It should be up against the stop there with little or no tension. You said it won't adjust any farther?

#31 ·
AWESOME video, TOTALLY awesome. I can't thank you enough. My growling and squeeling noise disappeared, no more hard shifts, and I hope it got rid of the cold transmission problems ( update: too much Lucas Transmission oil in transmission causes problems in cold weather) I just did the adjustment ( my cable had too much tension). :thumbup . DEFINATELY reccomended to fix hard shifts, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.