Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

302 water pump HELP

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  OldsRocket 
#1 ·
Replacing the engine in my '86. The engine cast numbers say its a '79 LTD engine. I bought a water pump for it.....wrong pump. The LTD pump was cast iron and the one I'm replacing it aluminum.

The cast number is e9te-8505-aa

I've checked the web and I've seen everything from Ford Truck 351w to "yep, thats a water pump."

What is this pump from? I'd like a definite answer so i can get the correct pump tomorrow.

In case you're wondering, the engine was in an '81 Mustang before i bought it. Not the original engine. The brackets and pulleys I'm using are from an '89 Crown Vic wagon. The new engine is from a '94 Bronco. As you can see, its a mismatched mess, but all I need it the correct water pump and I'm back on the road in my Mustang.

#2 ·
You're going to want to make sure you have the corrcet timing cover for what your doing before you make sure the water pump is correct. There are different water flow for the rotation of the water pump(s).

#7 ·
So OldRocket ;) your timing cover is like the one in the lower right hand
corner of Sack's picture?

Right? :) (it's the one with both water ports pointing in odd directions)

Gotta get this right or the flow will be wrong, this is important yet simple.

Butthead in AZ, retired RR signal wireman, -yes- it is possible to do your
job 100% right every damned time danggit!

#8 ·
So OldRocket ;) your timing cover is like the one in the lower right hand
corner of Sack's picture?

Right? :) (it's the one with both water ports pointing in odd directions)

No. The old engine, timing cover, etc are from a '79 something or other. I'm using the old timing cover with the fuel pump mount. After a brief dumb@$$ moment on my part, I got the pump figured out. I was looking at the wrong pump when i got the cast number. I looked at the pump that was on the '94 Bronco engine when i should have been looking at my old pump. Got the 2 mixed up sometime during the transfer of parts.

I did, however, make this mistake of mounting a reverse pump ('94 Bronco) on my forward timing cover. Learned my mistake real quick.

Gotta get this right or the flow will be wrong, this is important yet simple.

Butthead in AZ, retired RR signal wireman, -yes- it is possible to do your
job 100% right every damned time danggit!

Although now I have a totally new problem. I'll post it up in a minute and link it from here.

Heres the new problem. Maybe more timing?

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2981818#post2981818

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.