Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Alignment Cost WTF

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  helirich 
#1 ·
'94 FSB 6" Lift NEW Wrangler (35 12.5 15'zz)
always have aligned myself with a 2 X 4 and a couple of Nails
35z wore out correctly about 45K
put the new Wranglers on (1200.00) and thought it would be good to get a PRO alignment
3 shops want $70-$90 for alignment
one wants $180.00 !!!!! (because its lifted and raised)
are they SPECIAL or am I missing something?????
why would lifted and raised have anything to do with Aligning front end ?????

#7 ·
Those are average prices. We get $150 and go up from there, euro cars mostly. The rack alone is 35k then there's the actual alignment equipment, maintenance and software updates. To do it right as a shop owner is not cheap.

However a lifted truck with big tires doesn't need millimeter precision either. At the racetrack we use toe plates and a manual camber tool.

#8 ·
some of the commercial idiots want two or three times what you were quoted OP. Make sure they are doing toe AND CASTER AND CAMBER. You need the adjustable bushings for caster/camber. you won't know what degree you need to till they try and adjust the caster/camber. You can always buys the bushings off rockauto and then come back in a 2nd time and let them do the caster/camber.

#9 ·
WOW! You guys are on the wrong coast!

My local Mom & Pop in the city is $40 all day long, lifted TTB or stock 350 solid axle. Only time it was more was when they had to change out the bushings to get it right the first time. That was $20 and that only covered the parts.

Make sure they are not trying to charge you for a four wheel alignment. Only time I got a qoute somewhere else they tried that. I asked the guy to show me how they would adjust the rear and he walked away!

#11 ·
ive taken it to many shops that say 70-90$. then they call me saying you need your camber bushings replaced and that will be an hour of labor each side plus 20$ for the new bushings. 75$ alignment + 20$ bushings + 180$ labor (90$ an hour) = EXPENSIVE jsut to find out they couldnt get it alligned properly.

thats y i do it halfway myself. get adjsutable alignemtn bushings, get them at Nuetral (0*/0*) and put them in. take it somewhere that will give alignment check free and get the handout that shows how bad the alignment is. adjsut the bushings to where it needs to be. put bushings back in and adjsut the toe with the tape measurer or take it and get the toe profeshiopnally done. cant get the alignment any better than that.

#14 ·
not if you do it right. with the handout form the alignment check it says how much the camber and caster is off. the adjustable alignment bushings inclued a chart so you can adjsut for both to be perfect. well as lnog as your alignment isnt too far out that is. after i do my part ofthe alignment sometimes i go and get the toe set and they always wonder how i got the alignment pretty much perfect

#18 ·
you must have never seen a double axis adjsutable bushing before. you can adjsut BOTH camber and caster seperatly. they give you a chart to know what position to set it.
1. you use the chart to find how which set of letters you use so you have the correct amount of camber and caster.
2. you adjsut the top part of the bushing
3. you install the bushing so the bottom part is in the correct position
4. adjsut toe
5. ????
6. PROFIT

#21 ·
'94 FSB 6" Lift NEW Wrangler (35 12.5 15'zz)
always have aligned myself with a 2 X 4 and a couple of Nails
35z wore out correctly about 45K
If it ain't broke....don't fix it.if all you did was change tires,I don't see the point of getting an alignment....sound's like your way works pretty good.

Sent from my XT603

#24 ·
whos adjustable Bushings does everyone like NAPA ??
what woul be the correct Numbers for the 6" Lift and the 35" tires
Every truck is different.

#26 ·
the numbers they use are based on a factory vehicle and has a certian range considered acceptable that allows for wear of the vehicles parts. if you do mods to the suspension then all bets are off but the factory specs will still be a good range to go for. they sometimes tell me to take my truck to a special place to find out what the range should be for my truck specificly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.