Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

78/79 Emission & Vacuum Diagram Picture Reference

175K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  Ziggy 
#1 ·
I wanted to create a reference sheet, that can help eliminate some of the confusion in trying to decode the vacuum diagrams and figuring our what those parts look like. Here is the vacuum diagram I am working from, simply as a reference. I know that there are several other diagrams out there for 78/79's. There are some parts that I am not sure of, and I am looking for assistance on those. I will list what parts are missing and hopefully, someone else can fill in the gaps.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
LCV - EGR Load Control Valve

Attachments

#3 ·
VCV - Vacuum Control Valve

Attachments

#4 ·
AIR BPV = Air Bypass Valve

Attachments

#6 ·
DIST = Distributor (Vacuum Advance)

Attachments

#7 ·
AIR PUMP CHECK VALVE - Not too sure where this is on the diagram - Little HELP please

Attachments

#8 ·
Not to sure what these are...any help would be appreicated.
1st Picture - VRDV = Vacuum Restrictor Delay Valve (blue/white fitting)
2nd Picture - A/CL DV = Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
3rd Picture - Smog Pump
4th Picture - MAN VAC = Manifold Vacuum

Attachments

#11 ·
The blue and white thing is a metered orifice, often called a "Vacuum Delay Valve," but I'm not sure if it's called such on these years. It simply slows vacuum signal down and can be VERY useful on both smog and non smogged vehicles.

Right of that is a diverter that helps send warm air from the exhaust manifolds into the carb during cold starts.

Right of that is the air pump. Or, perhaps it's AIR pump.

Right of that is simply a vacuum tree that allows one manifold source to provide vacuum to power brakes and any other underhood items without being TOO messy.

Not to sure what these are...any help would be appreicated.

#9 ·
Ok...here is the diagram, with the missing items circled in blue. I am sure that some of these items can be matched with some of the above pictures. If you will let me know which ones go with what, I will correct it.

Added:

Here is an image of the A/C BI MET, which is on top of the Air Cleaner Cover.

This is the TVS (duh!) - Which is on the side of the air cleaner and has two hoses connected to it, one on top of the other.

Attachments

#10 ·
A/CL BI MET = Air CLeaner BI-METallic switch/valve - Should be switch on top of air cleaner.
A/CL DV = Air CLeaner Divert Valve - Valve on intake horn of air cleaner that either pulls hot air from exhaust manifold or cold air from intake hose.
MAN VAC = MANifold VACuum - Vacuum tree on the back of the engine.
INT MAN = INTake MANifold - Small fitting on top of the manifold, forward right of carb.
V CK V = Vacuum ChecK Valve
V RES = Vacuum REStrictor
TVS = Themo/Temp Vacuum Switch/Sensor = Located on the side of the air cleaner(?)
VRDV = Vacuum Restrictor Directional Valve = Vacuum check valve (blue and white plastic piece in one picture), I know these have to go a certain way or they do not work.
VRESER = Vacuum reservoir(?)

Hope this helps you out, not sure if they are all correct, if someone knows better, feel free to correct me.

#12 · (Edited)
yo,
This may help w/Thermactor (AIR (air injection reaction)) System, Parts Break-Out Diagram in 78-79 Bronco 351M & 400M

I'll try to add component ID as soon as I get rid of Comcast Cable.:thumbup

EDIT;
9A487 is the AIR PUMP CHECK VALVE
9B289 - Thermactordiverter valve
1957 is the Thermactor Pump

There are three different air temperature vacuum switches that Ford used in air cleaner housings:

ACTS (air cleaner temperature sensor) #9E607

TVS (temperature vacuum switch) #9A995

CWM (cold weather modulator) #9E862

The ACTS (9E607) is a thermostatic vacuum switch with a metal housing. The TVS (9A995) and CWM (9E862) are thermostatic vacuum switches with plastic housings. Calibrated open/close temperatures for these devices are indicated with color coding on the housing.

The ACTS controls the air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor by reacting to the air temperature inside the air cleaner housing. When the air temperature drops below the calibrated opening temperature of the ACTS, the valve inside the ACTS opens, supplying manifold vacuum to the air cleaner heat stove vacuum motor.

When the heat stove vacuum motor closes the diverter flap inside the intake snorkel, the engine draws intake air through the air cleaner heat stove system. When the engine has run a few minutes after a cold start, radiant heat from the exhaust manifold warms up the air drawn through the shroud, and the heat stove system supplies warm air to the engine.

When the temperature of the air inside the air cleaner housing exceeds the calibrated opening temperature of the ACTS, the valve inside the ACTS closes, cutting off the vacuum source (manifold vacuum) and bleeding the residual vacuum in the hose and the vacuum motor diaphragm. When vacuum is released from the vacuum motor diaphragm, an internal spring in the motor pushes it back to its rest position, which returns the intake snorkel diverter flap to its normal position for cold air intake.

The following table lists ACTS service part numbers specified for 1977 to 1982 M-block truck engines. Motorcraft part numbers are listed where available.

Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor #9E607

Ford Service P/N
Motorcraft P/N
Color Code
Notes

D0ZZ-9E607-B

blue
All 351M/400.
105°F min. open

D4FZ-9E607-B
CX-1384
green
All 351M/400.
105°F min. open

D4ZZ-9E607-A

yellow
All 351M/400.
105°F min. open

D7DZ-9E607-A
CX-146

'82 351M/400.

D7FZ-9E607-A
CX-109
brown
All 351M/400.
75°F min. open

D8TZ-9E607-A

white
All 351M/400.
90°F min. open

Color codes and specifications for 9A995, 9E607, and 9E862 air temperature vacuum switches are listed on this page.

(This is in Bubba's M Block Link I may have sent to you)
M-Block History (351M/400M) & M-block specifications: Look up engine advertised power ratings, and dimensions and torque specs for M-block components. M-block parts reference Look up Ford part numbers for common OEM engine components. M-block performance Learn about aftermarket parts and how to improve your engine’s performance and power. M-block photo archive Assorted pictures of M-block components.
Source: by Bubba (Dave R) at earthlink.net via web.archive.org

SLOW TO OPEN, so CLICK Impatient?

Attachments

#13 ·
yo,
Did I give you more LINKs in another thread here? or was it for some one else?

Such as;
Ford Motorcraft® Fuel & Emission Parts Catalog, Bronco/Ford truck & all Fords w/Ford part numbers, Illustrations, Carburetor Tag Numbers & Cross References - 80.6 MB pdf @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/fes200.pdf
See page 311 and on;
Here is a Sample;
8 Cylinder 5.8L
Bronco, F Series
Air Cleaner Air Temperature Control Sensor (351M); (Yellow Stripe) CX-1385
Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor Override Valve (351M); D5DF-9E862AA (Blue) CX-1387
Air Cleaner Vacuum Motor (351M); (F100) (Yellow Stripe) NA
(351M); (F150/350) (Brown Stripe) CX-120
Carburetor Float Bowl Vent Solenoid (351M); D8TE-9B289B1A,B2A CX-239
Carburetor Float Bowl Vent Valve (351M); D8TE-9E589B1A,B2A CX-233
Coolant Temperature Control Vacuum Switch (PVS) (351M) (see note 13)
Distributor Vacuum Control Check Valve (351M); D3VE-12A197A1A (Black/White) NA
(351M); D8DE-12A197AA (Black/White) DY-243
Distributor Vacuum Control Valve (351M); D7AE-A1A,B1A DY-165A
(351M); D3DE-AA,AB (Black/Brown) DY-139A
(351M); D5TE-BA (Black/Green) NA
(351M); D9TE-BA (Pink) NA
(351M); D9TE-CA (Blue) NA
(351M); D9TE-DA (Brown) NA
EGR Vacuum Control Valve (PVS) (351M); D3TE-9D473A1A,D5DE-9F454B1A,D5ZE-9D473A2A,
D7ZE-9D473A1A,A2A,77TF-9F454A1A,E1SE-A1A,A2A CX-1368
(351M); D3OE-9D473A1A,A2A,D5DE-9F454A1A,D5OE-9D473A1A,A2A,
D7BE-9D473A1A,A2A,E1AE-A1A,A2A . NA
(351M); D52E-9D473A1A,A2A,B2A,D7TE-9D473A1A,A2A,E1TE-A1A,A2A . CX-1369
(351M); D8TE-9D473B1A,B2A . NA
Fuel Vapor Canister . (351M); D8AE-9D653BB CX-1118
PCV Valve 351M) EV-68C
Speed Control Sensor (351M); D4AF-9E731BA DY-145

etc.

then for the Ford PN, go to the ILLUSTRATED PARTS BUYER’S GUIDE Section @ End for possible PICs or Depictions & other Model/year application of that part
such as;
CX-1387 (SEE PAGE 475)
Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor
Override Valve
(Blue: D5DF-9E862AA)
PASSENGER CARS
FORD & MERCURY .....................................1991-73
LINCOLN ...................................................1985-73
LIGHT TRUCKS
FORD TRUCK .............................................1984-73

CX-233 (SEE PAGE 468) Carburetor Float Bowl Vent Valve (D8TZ-9E589B)

=======

Next is;
Backfire Diverter Valve Location & Depiction in Parts Diagram in a 78 400M; "AIR bypass valve” in some Ford technical literature. On some vacuum system diagrams, it is labeled “AIR BPV” or just “BPV.” "
Source: by 78brncoxlt at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/646054

SM is temp down right now

#14 ·
Yep...you gave me a link when I responded to someone else's thread on the same general topic. This is what prompted me to start this one. Once we get it complete, it might be good to Sticky it, based on the frustration many of us here in Calif. (and other states) face when trying to get these rigs back on the road.

#16 ·
Hey! I've pulled my 78 out of the weeds and I am working on it. I have it running and I am trying to get it tuned correctly. However, the vacuum system is either very different than what is shown above or I have many parts missing. This thread is most excellent and appreciated. I'm wondering if I need to start sourcing parts or decide what can be bypassed. For example: my distributor vacuum advance is hooked directly to my carb. Should I get the VCV's and Air BPV and run the lines accordingly in order to follow the tuning procedure? or just leave all of that bypassed? Thanks!

#17 ·
I think it sort of boils down to what kind I'd inspection you have to pass. Here on the left coast, we get the anal probe and full physical every two years. There are MANY threads here, where people talk about taking off all the "Smog Crap"' and their rig runs fine. I am concerned that I do everything possible to make sure that I don't fail SMOG (which I have been doing).

I have seen some threads that also talk about the bare minimum that is needed to make your rig run without any problems.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
From what I have seen it is difficult to hybrid the smog/vac system. You either commit to getting rid of it all, including swapping the intake if it is EGR, or commit to putting it back together complete. People always think they can just plug the EGR port and all will be well, but then they can never get it tuned right.......
Those vac temp valves keep the system form running to rich at startup by preventing the excess fuel vapor from entering the carb till it is warm enough to not kill it.
Not sure what you are trying to do, but go one way or the other.

#24 ·
Yo ROSSI.
Vacuum Vent Control Valve (LCV in some Vacuum Diagrams:, Also called the Load Control Valve (LCV);
D7TZ-9H301-A .. "T/E (Thermactor Emission-smog pump) Vacuum Vent Control Valve Assy" / Marked: D7TE-9H301-AA or D8TE-9H301-AA / Obsolete
http://www.rearcounter.com/D7TZ-9H301-A-parts75707.html

Applications: 1977/79 F100/350 & 1978/79 Bronco.
NOS Only
414 Umbarger Rd #E
San Jose, California 95111
800) 667-6659

--
Call Green Sales @ 1-800-543-4959 for current availability and pricing on Ford and Lincoln Mercury Parts
PART #: D7TZ9H301A
Description: . Alternate #: D7TZ-9H301-A, D7TZ*9H301*A

No other FoMoCo Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

EGR SYSTEM WOT (WIDE OPEN THROTTLE) LOAD CONTROL VALVE

Some EGR systems feature a load control valve that closes the EGR valve when the engine requires maximum power at or near wide open throttle.

The valve is installed in vacuum line between the ported vacuum connection on the carburetor & EGR valve; vacuum line from carburetor venturi vacuum tap is connected to the top part on the WOT valve and provides control for the valve. When venturi vacuum is at a predetermined level near wide open throttle, it is strong enough to overcome the calibration spring pressure and unseat the diaphragm valve, diverting EGR source vacuum to the atmosphere and causing the EGR valve to close. Normal EGR flow is resumed when there is a reduction in engine load from the wide open throttle condition.

#23 · (Edited)
#30 ·
I did a search first, that being said does anyone have the lenght and diameter for complete line replacement(78-351) info like the dress up kit including the long modulator line? I have seen it for later models in another thread. No flaming if you have the link that would be appreciated and I will gladly share pics when im done.

#33 ·
I got slammed this year by the AZ Emission guys. I guess the tech was brain-dead or poorly trained last year 'cause I passed without any Thermactor AIR equipment. They've upgraded the training and slammed me this year.

The AZ emissions Technician at the Waiver Station gave me this number of a guy in Fresno. He has complete kits for AIR and evaporative emissions parts.

1-800-544-4357

woolf

#37 ·
Drawing of Vacuum hoses 1979 400/C6/AC

I figured I would try and make this something that an "average" person could understand. Dealing with the California smog police and the cost of failing a smog test is the pits.

I have a 1979 F-250 4x4 and a 1979 Bronco, both with a 400/C6/with AC. I followed the vacuum hoses on both of them and they were the same. I made a sketch of one, because the vehicles are at different locations and I wanted to be able to confirm that they were indeed the same. Here are my sketches with some added notes. Sorry for the line down the middle, my scanner has a bug in it. I hope they help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.