Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

89' 4WD Problems

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  kf4amu 
#1 ·
Went mudding last weekend and now 4x4 and low lights are constantly lit on dash as well as 4WD no longer engages. Im guessing something got wet under the truck causing the problem but Im hoping maybe someone could lead me in the direction to start. I recently replace the 4wd actuator motor so i dont think that is bad again. But i checked the wiring harness that comes off of it and when i unplugged it a little water dripped out so could that be the prblem and maybe it just needs to dry out? Well let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

#5 ·
also

i took off the actuating motor and made sure i wasnt stuck in 4lo. i wasnt i was and am in 2hi but the dash light 4x4 is always on as well as the low range light flashing as if i was in 4lo. when i hit the push buttons i get no click on the actuating motor. but im guessing its getting power but the ground is messing everything up.

so im guessing the ground is bad as stated above but i dont know where do look for it. any ideas on the location of the ground

#6 ·
Indicator Lights Don't Register the Correct Information

Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer have indicator lights in two locations. There are lights on the dash and LED indicator lights in the switches. Other vehicles have only the dash lights. If the dash lights on any vehicle don't respond, look for no power or a burned out bulb.

If the lights are on all the time, look for a short to ground. Also check to see if the shift control module is activating them all ... this is a malfunction.

If the LED lights, in the buttons, remain on all the time, first check to see if the dash lights are also on. If the dash lights are not on, this means that the dash lights have burned out. The LED lights are on because a low current is still passing across, enough to light the LED.

If no lights illuminate as you go through the shifts and ground power and bulbs are good, then the module is at fault or the motor has stopped at an intermediate point.

#10 ·
I doubt u have a short to ground. The blinking LOW light indicates to me that the module is calling for a shift to 4LOW but conditions have not been met to complete the shift.

The module is next to the glovebox/above the passenger kick panel. Try the self test button and see if that resets it. I've had corrosion on the connectors that made it do weird things in the past. It's a reliable system if you understand how it works. I've seen just as many threads on here about manual shift linkages acting up and not shifting the t-case appropriately as I've seen people having electric shift issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.