Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How hard is it to replace a head gasket?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Big_Rig 
#1 ·
how hard is it to replace a head gasket cus there is 2 broncos for 800 by me and one has a good engine and tranny but bad transfer case and one has a good tranny and transfer case but the head gasket is blown so how difficult is it to do and what all do you have to do?

#2 ·
what year

if it is carbed it is a bit easier, less stuff to remove to get the heads off the block, if its EFI, there is more stuff to remove.

than haveing the heads resurfaced will run ya a bit, as log as the heads or in good shape.

remember to use good gaskets and bolt it back together

#3 ·
it is an 89 so i believe it is efi???? about how much does it cost to resurface the heads and are you talking about resurfacing wherer the gasket was...and what is a good head gasket?

#5 ·
not too tough. even doing it slow, it can be done over a weekend.

I tend to use Felpro gaskets...always have been good for me. cost just slightly more than the 'house' brand at my local parts place.

#6 ·
alright thanks i might get those two and sell one of them to someone and fic the other or either fix both and sell one...would a hayes manual give detailed instructions on how to do it? i have one for my 78 but would have to get one for those 89s...

#7 ·
You shouldn't attempt that job without the manual. Also be sure you have, or can get, a torque wrench and a timing light before you start. Be sure to label all the wiring and vacuum lines so they go back in the same place. Match mark the distributor to the block with a sharpie so it goes back in close to the same position.Drain the coolant before removing the intake, that should keep most of it out of the engine. Also be sure you clean out the cylinders real good before rotating the engine with the heads off. A blow gun works good for that. I ruined a 360 from spinning the engine with carbon that I cleaned off another piston that got caught under the rings and scratched the cylinder wall. After you get it all back together, change the oil before starting it.

#8 ·
You may want to change the head bolts. I am not sure if you have to but you should.

#10 ·
The head bolts should be good for a 2nd reuse, but that's all I'd give them.

The bigger issue to me is exactly how they diagnosed the bad head gasket. Water in the oil/oil in the water? Low compression in adjacent cylinders? Or just a good guess?

I'd pull both heads and have them cleaned and magnafluxed. My experience with a "blown head gasket" in a 302 turned out to be a cracked head instead.

#11 ·
Make SURE you have the torque sequence, they made it up for a reason. Also if you do use a steel shim gasket coat both sides in aluminum spray paint, let dry and torque down. Also just as seboh said, make sure you know that its the head gasket so it won't be a waste of time and money. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.