Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1979 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT

11K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  Handy_andy_cv64 
#1 ·
OK.. So I think I might have this figured out after some testing! Forgive me if I fudge this!

I took some pictures of Matilda when I got home from work to share. Anything you see, notice or want to point out is APPRECIATED! Plus I just took pics of things I thought were cool... like this!

I found it the day I went to look at her and buy her! So cool to have that!!

Below are just exterior shots..

So from those pics, I feel like she's in pretty decent shape!?! Especially after someone just parked her for so long and let her sit? Or am I nuts and just in love? Give me you honest thoughts!

See less See more
#2 ·
Views of the backseat

Passenger side view

Drivers side view

Bad view of 4wd knob

Dash - She cam with blue shag carpet that was glued to the dash pad... UGH

Glovebox sticker

Jacking instuctions.. lol Inside the glovebox

My awesome floor mats!!! Think they are original??

Another dash view

#7 ·
well I can tell you this. You have a 351m/400 engine due to having 8 valve cover bolts. Seeing the catalyst sticker it says 5.8L so it should be the 351M series engine.

too hard to see what the carb is, but by the looks of the plug wires, I would give it a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel filter and fresh oil and filter.

#8 ·
I just changed her oil 2 weeks ago! All by myself. I've changed it twice since I have had her! Those are the only two oil changes I have ever done.. lol

Thanks for the info on the engine.. Tune up is next.. Matt is currently looking for heads as well.. like I said, that's his territory not mine! I just get a lawn chair and :popc1: or I just hand tools and :thumbup while he :banghead and drinks beer.. lol

#11 ·
well heads are a cheap thing to find for these engines. unless you go something new like aluminum heads, which really are kind of a waste on a stock DD type engine, unless you have money to blow.

#12 ·
I don't think we're going to do anything fancy to be honest. I bought her because she's big and safe. I was in a dinky vehicle before. She's my DD so I plan on doing everything I can to fix her in tip top shape for driving purposes but she will honestly probably never see a trail or anything crazy. Once she's running good and the major mechanical issues are fixed I plan on doing the cosmetic stuff which is where I will blow most of my income.. lol

#13 ·
Looks like a pretty nice ride. How much do you have in it? Did you put the new tires and wheels on it? I bet you have some pretty good rot going on in the floorboards. Interior appears to be pretty much stock. Looks just like two of mine. If its been sitting for a long time empty the tank, put a new fuel pump and filter on.

#18 ·
Thanks! I bought her for $1600. They were asking $2200. She started right up after not being used for "2 years" but we think way more. There is a lot wrong that needs to be fixed. We've done both hubs and breaks on the front, cd player and speakers, 2 oil changes, had the rear breaks cleaned and adjusted, radiator and transmission fluids drained and flushed. That's about it. I think she's kinda a miracle. But again I am biased! She makes me happy in a weird way that a vehicle hasn't before. The guy who sold her to me told me she was all original except for wheels and radio. I don't know how much of that I believe but again, she looks it so who knows.

You scare me with the floor board rot! :( My goal with that is pull carpet and rhinoline but if we encounter that, then well who knows!

My goal is to make her better then ever but that's going to be a long process. Hopefully I can make her so good she last long enough to pass her down to my future child. LOL My goal is a two tone paint job kinda like yours but white and the yellow tan color she is now.

i like it! she looks to be in pretty good shape, just typical bronco rust in the rear quarters and tailgate from what i can see.
Her tailgate is a MESS!! When we open it, it has to be supported. LOL I put a sawhorse under her if I am unloading stuff.

#19 ·
I was standing in my driveway so excited taking pictures because I thought of how much feedback or things I would learn about her! I couldn't stop taking pictures! LOL I've already learned so much. This is almost like a candy store of info.

Matt owns a Dodge Ram.. He's always got his face in the cummins diesel forum and this one too.. I used to get mad.. he opened this for me because he told me it would teach me a lot, I thought he was just trying to pass it off to buy himself more time but now here I am.. I like it and I kinda get it now!

#26 ·
Thanks Dag! She has tons of stickers, I find that impressive :) LOL

Looks like a very solid Bronco to start with. Just fix up the rust and it will look really nice. Mine was same set-up 351M with NP203 TC. But mine was converted to part time. Good luck with it!
I think she's pretty A-OK Scoop. There is for sure tons to be done and I'll get there! But it will be a slow yet steady process. Again the NP 203TC is foreign to me, but I am sure I will get clued in soon! I am assuming that it is something to do with the all time 4WD??

#28 ·
The NP203 transfer case is the all-time chain driven case. Many were converted to part time in order to increase mileage a bit. To do that you needed to add locking hubs. Your's does not appear to have locking hubs so I assume it's not converted to part time. Personally I wish mine had not been converted, but most people prefer the conversion or they replace the 203 with a 205 gear driven part time case. The 203 is driven in 4WD all the time, on and off road. The 205 or converted 203 can only be in 4WD off road or in very slippery conditions (heavy rain, snow, ice). Hope this helps your understanding!

#34 ·
Thanks! I love both of yours! The rust will be gone.. I think I might wait until after winter though! We've already found new panels. Then it will just be body work and paint. I think I found a pretty great place here in Nashville but I am going to go some research before making that large of an investment!

My gas milage isn't too bad.. about 8-12. She is my DD so we mostly stick to work and back home which is about 14 miles round trip. If I stick to that, a tank will last about 2 weeks. She likes me as long as I don't make her go too fast.. ;)

#36 ·
A sexy beast is what she looked like! haha I was thinking about doing this, it is just a matter of finding the time. Perhaps on lunch tomorrow. my job sucks and wears me out, so by the time I get home I just want to plop on the couch and veg or I have to do yard work or crap like that. This will go to the top of the list sooner or later!

#46 ·
I fully believe that the stars aligned to make me as lucky as I am to own her. It was a craigslist ad, the price was amazing and she was perfect. We almost didn't buy her because of how rough she looked but when I stood next to her, it was like blinders. I didn't see how bad she looked. I saw her perfect and fixed. It will take me a long time to get her there but I have to be honest, I love her.

I think it's amazing how well she runs. I haven't drove her in almost 2 weeks because of health issues. The weather here has been weird and she isn't garaged. After 11 days of not being started, when I sat in her, 1 tap of the gas and turn of the key and she starts up perfectly. It's amazing.

#48 ·
Step Rail / Bar

On a whim and a urge... what are your thoughts on steps / side rails? I don't know what the correct term for them is but I was in the hospital recently and it is a bit hard to get into Matilda lately. I find myself thinking of adding something to step on to assist me in getting into my seat.

I think a whole rail would be weird. I have seen steps that are like small U shaped pieces that are wide enough for a foot + a few inches. I would love some opinions of what you think works best or what you might have! Thanks :)

#53 ·
On a whim and a urge... what are your thoughts on steps / side rails? I don't know what the correct term for them is but I was in the hospital recently and it is a bit hard to get into Matilda lately. I find myself thinking of adding something to step on to assist me in getting into my seat.

I think a whole rail would be weird. I have seen steps that are like small U shaped pieces that are wide enough for a foot + a few inches. I would love some opinions of what you think works best or what you might have! Thanks :)
here i put these on my wife's truck http://www.stylintrucks.com/pressreleases/steps-retractable-sidewinder.aspx

Also if you want to keep that truck somewhat original, but give it your own touch, A very good source of parts is LMC truck

you can literally build a new bronco from their catalog if you wanted to. You should get there catalog sent to you in the mail so you can sit with a bright red marker and circle/dream about all the things you want. :thumbup
Link to LMC for your Bronco
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fc/t.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.