Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

LIFT AND TIRE INFORMATION FOR 80-96 BRONCOS

855K views 722 replies 380 participants last post by  96XL5speed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok guys, here is the final thread for all 80-96 lift and tire info. I hope that anything replied too will be more info, and we can make it a sticky for new members. Here we go!

There are three different body styles in the 80-96 era. 80-86, 87-91, 92-96. In 1980 FoMoCo introduced a four wheel drive version of their Twin-Traction Beam suspension. This suspension and axle design is normally only recommended for tires up to 35 inches if off-roading is done. Tires up to 38 inches have been run on TTB but it is not recommended for heavy off-roading. The first two years, 80 and 81, the frame was sort of expiramental and is less desirable for off road use. From 80-86 the bodies and fenders were more squared off and the fender openings are generally referred to as being larger than later models. From 87-91 the bodies and fenders were much more rounded, but the grill and frontend was still partially squared off. These models do not have as large of a fender opening. From 92-96 ford made their last broncos, and these included a front end update for a more curvy look. The fender openings stayed the same from the 87-91 model years.

What follows is what size tire you can fit both stock and with the lift amounts listed.

Generally 33 inch tires will fit without rubbing issues except on the radius arms. Some rubbing may occur on the fenders under extreme flex but can be fixed with very minor trimming and if the rubbing occurs on the bumper it can be spaced out to fix this problem. A 4 inch lift can fit 35s with minor trimming but 33s are recommended to alleviate any rubbing issues. A 6 inch lift can fit up to 35 inch tires with minor rubbing if any. Skyjacker makes an 8 inch lift that can be used to fit up to 38 inch tires, but this puts a lot of strain on the TTB axle setup.

Another issue is whether to get radius arm drop brackets or to get extended radius arms. Extended radius arms can increase flex and offer better ground clearance, but also cost much more. Extended radius arms are also much stronger. Drop down brackets use the stock radius arms and do not offer as much flex or strength or ground clearance but are also much cheaper.

The stock sway bars can be reused with a lift if you absolutely think they are necessary. Many members believe that taking the stock sway bars off makes no difference in handling or body lean, but this modification does help the suspension flex properly. Unless you drive like Mario Andretti, this modification will be a good one for you.

Another question often asked is what is the difference between a kit and system when looking at suspension kits. A kit lifts the rear by the use of blocks or add-a-leafs or a combination of those. A system completely replaces the rear leaf springs and offers both better flex and better reliability. Using blocks for lift can be dangerous off road because they can easily break or slip out causing damage to the vehicle. Replacement leaf springs are a much better way to lift the rear of your vehicle.

Another question is whether to get a body lift or suspension lift. A body lift uses longer bolts and bushings of some type to lift the body off the frame. Generally this is not recommended over a suspension lift for off-roading, but it is a cheap alternative to fit bigger tires if necessary. One major disadvantages to body lifts is that the bolts are longer and this puts more strain on them and in extreme situations have been known to break. A suspension lift basically moves the axles away from the frame allowing for fitment of larger tires. This is usually better than a body lift because it also increases travel.

Driveshaft modification is generally not needed for lifts up to 6 inches, more than 6 inches of lift it is recommended that you lengthen your driveshafts to eliminate vibration and increased strain.

Here is a list I have compiled of the different lift heights and the companies that make them:
2 inch lift-coils and alignment cams only: Rancho, Superlift, Skyjacker, BDS, Rough Country
2.5 inch lift: Rough Country, Tuff country
3 inch lift: Rancho
4 inch lift: Skyjacker, Superlift, Rancho, BDS, Dick Cepek, Rough Country, Tuff Country, Pro Comp, Trailmaster
6 inch lift: Skyjacker, Superlift, BDS, Dick Cepek, Rough Country, Tuff Country, Pro Comp
8 inch lift: Skyjacker

Skyjacker, Superlift, Rancho, BDS, Dick Cepek, Pro Comp, Trailmaster and Tough Country all make extended radius arms for the various lift sizes.

Body lifts are available from Performance Accessories in both 2 and 3 inch lift heights.

Another thing to keep in mind when doing a suspension lift is steering. If the stock geometry were to be kept in place, the increased angles would create excessive bumpsteer. To correct this, the steering geometry must be changed. The most common ways to change it are to use a drop pitman arm (either included in most kits or an option), to flip the tie rods to the top of the steering knuckles, to use Superlift's Superrunner steering system, or to use some combination.

Flipping the tie rods to the top of the knuckles works perfect for a 4" lift with the stock pitman arm. For a 6" lift, a drop pitman arm is also needed. In either case, a drop pitman arm will suffice by itself. Superlift's superrunner steering utilizes a drag link, 2 equal length tie rods (as opposed to the stock drag link/ tie rod combo), and adds an idler arm in addition to the drop pitman arm. It is designed for use with Superlift's suspension systems, but most others can be modified to accept it.

Diagram explaining Superrunner steering:

6" lift with drop pitman arm and tie rods flipped to the top of the knuckle (also dual steering stabilizers)

6" lift with Superrunner steering and tie rod flip:

As far as radius arms go: Pro Comp also makes extended ones for their Stage II kits.

One thing to keep in mind is that Tough Country, BDS and Dick Cepek use new brackets with the extended radius arms, instead of reusing the factory ones.

The Tough Country ones utilize a unique adjustable bushing, which can aid in alignment issues:

Dick Cepek also utilizes new brackets, which retain the stock style radius arm bushing

(they are in the bottom left corner of the picture)

BDS uses brackets similar to Dick Cepek:

There is also another option to lift the rear of the Bronco: a shackle flip. Using either the front hangers for the rear leafs off a F-250/350 (there is some debate as to whether or not F-150 hangers are the same) and to install them in place of the factory rear hangers on the Bronco. This can net anywhere from 3-5.5" inches of lift. The actual amount of lift will vary from application to application and the different methods used. Sky Manufacturing also makes a shackle flip kit that utilizes a new rear hanger for the rear leaf. It accomplishes the same goals as the F-250/350 method.

Here's an example so you get an idea of what I'm talking about:

Another thing to keep in mind when choosing a lift are the brackets themselves. Superlift, Skyjacker, BDS, Dick Cepek, and Pro Comp use brackets that have two pivot holes drilled in them, one for 4" and one for 6". This allows you to upgrade to a 6", should you become unsatisfied with your 4" down the road. All that is needed are new shocks and coil springs.

Some companies' brackets are much beefier than others. Superlift, BDS, Tuff Country, Trailmaster, and Rough Country use a drivers' side brackets that bolts on in addition to the existing factory one.

This picture illustrates the driver's side bracket for the passenger side beam (6" Superlift kit):

Dick Cepek, Pro Comp, Rancho, and Skyjacker completely replace the drivers side axle pivot bracket and use passenger side brackets that are much larger than the other companies and use more bolts to fasten them (the actual number varies from company to company, but you get the idea that they use more right?). If you look closely at the following pictures, you should get the idea. Whether any of this makes a diffence is yet to be seen as there are aggressive wheelers on this site running or who have run both designs with luck

Here are pics from the different companies websites to give you an idea what the kits look like:
Superlift 6" kit with radius arm drop brackets:

Superlift extended radius arms and stock arm with drop bracket comparison:

Tuff Country 4" Lift with extended radius arms:

Rancho 4" kit with extended radius arms:
Suspension part Auto part Suspension Automotive exterior Shock absorber

Skyjacker 6" complete system:

BDS 6" kit with extended radius arms and dual add-a-leaves:

Dick Cepek 4" kit with extended radius arms:

Pro Comp 6" kit with extended radius arms:

Trailmaster 4" kit with extended radius arms:

Black Diamond if I recall correctly they do not make radius arms yet for 4" and 6" TTB lift kits. They only offer radius arm drop brackets. The company itself is largely Jeep associated, but do make lift kits for Fords other then the '80 - '96 era. Plus other companies worth mentioning for people with deep pockets are: Fabtech, AutoFab, and Fabritech. Fabtech is for 2WD TTB Fords, since not all our members here drive Broncos. AutoFab also makes a 4x4 kit dealing with replacing your OE TTB with a longer one which means no more drop brackets. The previous two lift companies are if you plan on desert racing your truck or using it professionally in Tough Truck competition. Fabritech is from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard and makes a bolt on kit for Solid axle swaps on TTB Broncos/F-150, Rangers, and '97+F-150s. However this kit is really only for the people that have more money then time, because you will find that most do their own SAS for less money then the kit. The last three kits mentioned are extremely expensive compared to the others mentioned previously.

Something that will vary from vehicle to vehicle is whether or not you will need camber adjusment sleeves and extended brake lines after the lift.

The TTB is a difficult suspension to align, lifting it doesn't make it easier. After lifting, you should take it to a competent alignment shop and have them work on it. If your camber is off too much, you will need adjustment sleeves, which can be pricey. Whether or not you will need these is strictly based on each individual rig. One may need it and another with the exact same kit may not. It is pretty much luck of the draw, but chances are you will need them if you want your Bronco to align properly, especially down the road.

Don't get cheap with the brake lines: buy extended ones as it is a very cheap price to pay considering what they are in control of.

With all that having been said, if you are having trouble understanding anything myself or wes said, use the search feature. All this has been covered before, where do you think I learned it?

When bigger tires are added, you will suffer an engine loss because more mass and a larger diameter tire is having to be moved. Changing the ring and pinion gears in your axles are one way to get this power back. The thread in this link explains everything you need to know about this change.

Larger Tire and R&P Gear Info

The Autofab and Camburg kits do not "bend" the beams on a TTB, that is how they do I-beams. Think about it, if you bent the beams, how would your axleshafts work. What they do is cut out the lower ball joint and move it outward to correct the camber angle.

Also, you can get plenty of travel with drop brackets as well, you don't need the fancy desert racer setups. IIRC, mine gets almost 13" right now. The advantage to the desert racer kits is that you retain the stock pivot brackets and steering geometry, which are more durable for jumping.

ALL OF THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN COMPILED FROM A PERVIOUS THREAD. THE CONTRIBUTERS TO THIS THREAD ARE: WES, ANDY351, AND MAX.

PLEASE REFER TO THIS THREAD FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU NEED ABOUT LIFTS, TIRES, OR GEARS.

wes

See less See more
#2 ·
heres a couple pictures comparing the 2 styles of brackets that are used:
superlift, BDS, rough country, tuff country, black diamond, trailmaster:

pro comp, skyjacker, dick cepek, rancho:

also something to keep in mind for the less popular alternatives: Autofab does make a kit, although it is pricey, especially considering that you don't even get a race quality shock/coil-over like a FOX or Sway-A-Way. the Autofab kit could essentially be duplicated by buying their beams and then getting a custom wound spring and using proper length shocks from a company like Rancho for much less. (heres the math for example: $400 for the beams, $400 for any generic brand extended radius arms, $400 for shocks and you've got $2000 left over that you can use on springs or just go coil-over and any thing else you feel like spending it on since you didn't pay $3200 for their complete kit, but i digress...)
Camburg DOES NOT offer an off the shelf kit for 4wd suspensions. however like any quality fab shop, they can fab you up some new beams (extended, turned etc..) that will work very nicely, but the thing to keep in mind with the desert racer style kits is that they are not worth it unless you're going to be seriously using it; having Camburg fab you up some beams and put coil-overs on it will most likely run you in excess of $5k. however, if you want the absolute most that the TTB has to offer something in this direction would be a good place to go. bottom line, it will come down to your wheeling style more than anything as the only thing this setup has better than a solid axle is high speed handling.

#4 ·
make sure everything that needs to be extended is extended, and be sure that your fan shroud gets moved back up into the factory position. otherwise it will run hot.

#5 ·
I'm concidering in buying this

Skyjacker 6" complete system:

Now my question is what else would I need? any add-ons I should get, With new gears and extended brakes lines I'm good and all set? and around how much am I looking at spending if I go with a skyjacker 6"? sorry for all the questions I just want the best profromance i can get with a 6" lift.

#6 ·
OK, assuming that 35's will fit on a 4" lift (with trimming), and I upgrade to at least a 4.10:1 rearend, how much HP and torque will be needed to push the truck upto 95 MPH? My 302 tops out at 72 with 3.55's and 31x10.5R15's. I want to be able to DRIVE my rig up to Phoenix for the next run. I've got a 390 in the works, and I'm going to find me a good np tcase (205 or 208). No OD, so what am I looking for? I also want good trail and sand power.

Any ideas on my target HP & torque?
Or is this in the wrong thread?
~Critter

#8 ·
Just makin sure, but if I install a 3" body lift, I CAN fit 35's with minor trimming? I have 33's sittin on a 1" BL... but the previous owner did that. Also, anyone know what might be the problem with the speedometer dancing?

#367 ·
not sure if the model year matters but either the rear wheel speed sensor is bad,(located on top of your rear diff), your rear end is coming apart , or the wire leading to the rss is worn through.

pull the rss out of the pumpkin if it has metal filings stuck to it something is wearing down inside, bearings bushings or gears, take it to a tranny or rear end shop. if not than check the wire all the way back as far as you can trace it and test for continuity to ground if there is you have a short in the wire. lastly if those two things check out replace the rss there only $20

#9 ·
Did I understand you correctly? Did you say 33's would fit without any lift or did I just not understand? I already had to trim the stupid rubber on the bottom of the front bumper to make the 32's fit, and they still rub on the radius arms and the sway bar in parking lots. But I NEVER wheel in parking lots so it hasn't been a problem ... yet.

#711 ·
32's on an '96 Eddie Bauer?

I have installed Rough Country 1.5" leveler springs on my '96 XL. This has made the front and rear end level, and not made it look so "nose heavy". Are you running on the stock front suspension? If so, you might want to try a pair of these, and see if you fix your clearance problem w/ the radius arm and or the front air dam.
MD
I have a 96 Eddie Bauer, I was hoping to put 32x11.5x15 on it without any lift. From your experience, what would you recommend?

#11 ·
Andy351 said:
well, my 351 will push me up to around 80-85 with 35s/4.10s but the problem is without OD the engines turning over 3800 rpms, and it doesn't make much more power the higher you go. its gonna be pretty hard with gearing that low and no OD. why would you want to go 95 in a bronco anyway?
well, then, I'll stick to the 3.55's, and just go locking. I've got the 390, and it came with an FMX. My goal is freeway speeds with little accel time, but also acompetant trail truck with no alterations between road and trail.

As to OD, no AOD will fit my FE, so I'll stick to the C6.

And, I want to be able to keep up with my cougar.

~Critter

#12 ·
mkraffert said:
Did I understand you correctly? Did you say 33's would fit without any lift or did I just not understand? I already had to trim the stupid rubber on the bottom of the front bumper to make the 32's fit, and they still rub on the radius arms and the sway bar in parking lots. But I NEVER wheel in parking lots so it hasn't been a problem ... yet.

33's will fit without any lift. You will need to trim, or space out your front bumper though. Also, you may want to get rid of the sway bar if it bothers you enough, and if you don't tow with your bronco. My tires rub the radius arms too, but I can't see how it's hurting anything.

#15 ·
I think someone here used F-350 coils. Try posting a new Thread on the subject.

Reactions: Fast Floyd
#17 ·
twiztid juggalo said:
does anyone have pics of a 90 bronco with about a 3" body lift on 35's. Looking to do a 3" body lift and wanting to put 35's on. Wondering how it would look.

I don't have any pics, but I know that the problem I have with the body lift is that is doesn't lift the bumpers. The bumpers are attached to the frame so there will be a large gap. Also, you will be able to see a gap through the wheel wells clear to the other side. I don't recommend body lifts even for looks. I know they are quite a bit cheaper, but sometimes we must be patient for the good things in life. :drinkbud

Oh, so sorry. I forgot what I drive.

1987 Bronco
Eddie Bauer
4" Superlift, 35" BFG A/T's
Yes, they do fit. :thumbup

#18 ·
AlabamaMan023 said:
I don't have any pics, but I know that the problem I have with the body lift is that is doesn't lift the bumpers. The bumpers are attached to the frame so there will be a large gap. Also, you will be able to see a gap through the wheel wells clear to the other side. I don't recommend body lifts even for looks. I know they are quite a bit cheaper, but sometimes we must be patient for the good things in life. :drinkbud

If you do an easy search you will find that a lot of 3" body lifts come with bumper brackets to realign them. Although I don't recomend them eather, they are significantly cheeper and they sell a lot.

I'm real glad to have read the first 2 posts in this thread. That was exactly the kind of info I like to see. Another thread like that on performance ad-ons and how they effect MPG would be great.

Thanks again to WES & Andy351, great job guys :beer :clap :usa :beer :clap :usa

#19 ·
I had the same questions before i got my 33x12.50x15 bfg all terrains. They rub a tiny bit at full lock, no bumper trimming needed on my rig. I do have air bags in the front coils for my snow plow. Good luck
Nick

#20 ·
nice post here. Finally looked into this thread. Do any of you guys know alot of the sites for this companies so i could look into a 4" lift? Thanks. Looking to spend maybe around 400-600 bucks and getting a good kit. Thanks.

#558 ·
2.5" lift and planning to put 35s

I just put a 2.5" Rough Country Kit on my 96 Bronco. Parts ran me about $600 and installed it cost me $1100 but most of the quotes I got from reputable installers was from $1500 and up. 4" lift from $2000 and up.

I'm going to try a set of 35s BF Goodrich ATs.

#21 ·
4-600 and a "good" kit don't really go together for TTB. Look at spending at least 750 or so to get extended radius arms, good drop brackets, and rear leaf springs. If you want a "decent" kit, you can pick them up for about $500 all day long.

As for lift and fit, my 85 fits 35's with no trimming on 4" of lift. Only time a tire contacted the body was when a body mount blew out and dropped the rear of the passengers fender well onto the tire. Even then there was barely any contact.

Justin

#23 ·
Superlift, good kit, but shitty springs (if you're looking for flex). If you just want lift and big tires, they're great. Full 6" kit is about 725, if you want better springs plan another 120 or so.

EDIT: and that's also for a rear block lift, not springs.

Justin

#24 ·
Question

Ok after reading the write up i understand a little better, im buying a 6" skyjacker lift and so i need to get a dropped pitarm and i need extended brake lines, but do i need extranded raduis arms??? there is two different ones avaible This one Without radius arms and this one with radius arms

My question do i need extended raduis arms or can sucesfully reduce my bronco without them, whats the advatages of having them and waht dont i get if i dont ahve them?? thx

one more thing whats the diff between SYS BOX, 6" 80-96 BRONCO and SYS BOX,6" 80-96 BRONCO CLA ????????? thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.