Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Engine stalls when i put it in reverse. Any ideas?

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  AdfJohn 
#1 ·
Hello my fellow Bronconians,

Been reading for a while but never had any questions till today. My 95 Bronco (351w/E4OD) has been sitting for about a month. I went to turn it on and the battery was dead. I gave it a jump and it fired up. I let it sit for a few minutes and drove it around the block twice.. The truck was running maybe 10 minutes or so. I put it in reverse to back it into my driveway and the RPM's went down and the engine stuttered and turned off. Im not too engine savy so im not sure how to describe it. Ive run out of gas before in an older car 79 Ford and it kinda felt like that.. Im sure if i would have revved the engine in reverse it would stay on but i didnt want to slam into my garage. I turned it on (the battery was low but it had enough juice to kick over). I put it in drive and it was fine. I put it back in reverse and it turned off again. Could this be because the battery is still not 100% or maybe a vacume problem. Im not sure where to start looking. Its done this before on the trail. Ill go from drive to neutral to reverse and the rpm's will go down and it will die. I was told that maybe the idle was set too low. It idles around 600 rpm right now. Well, thats all i can think of to type. If i forgot something needed to better answer this please let me know. Look forward to your replies.

-Max P.

See less See more
#5 ·
Really? Wow. Never heard of that before. Is there a specific reason why it turns it off. Im new to engines and real curious to know. Im going to change the plugs this weekend while i check the wires.. Couldnt hurt and they are pretty cheap.

#7 ·
The most common cause of this is a leak between the transmission pump and the reverse gear. What happens is it loads up the reverse passage and increases line pressure not allowing it to slip enough thus causing the engine to have a load and the rpm's to drop to the point of dying.

This info came from a good friend who owns a trans shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.