Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

top speed

14K views 101 replies 65 participants last post by  sledhead 
#1 ·
ok so i have been reading on here and seeing many people say their broncos only go about 85-90 mph? Is this true for most people on here becaue i have a 96 with a 5.0 e40d and mine has hit 105 and still had more in it?:shrug

#10 ·
Pics or bullshit.

are our trucks govenered anyone?????????
rev-governed.

Governed by the huge amount of wind resistance. Yes.
yes.

:histerica Nice.

They are technically speed-limited AND rev limited. The motor has its limits programmed (5250 and 5500 for the 5.8L), and those are easy to hit just keeping the shifter in first gear. The speed limiter, however, is pretty darn high. The BIO0 binary has a maximum shaft speed entry of 4560 RPM, but the soft limiters start at around 4000 RPM; as to what that is in vehicle speed, I don't know/care. :D I set it to 16000, and have a good time as long as I can keep my foot buried to the wood.

Another awesome thing is that I can hold it in 3rd as long as I want now, too. :chili:
5250 for the 302? Cause my pic says otherwise. :toothless

#11 ·
GPS verified 69 in low range.... mathematically +180?!? I've topped 105 with 35's... It wasnt a great idea but it happened

#12 ·
I had 110 on gps with 265/75/15 and a very lightly upgraded 5.8 e40d(found out later the front hubs were locked in too). Now it is heavily upgraded and has a c6 with 33" but I don't think it will go 110 and it shakes with the mud tires bad enough past 85 that I don't know if I could read the gps!
I think the trucks that won't go faster than 85 will be found to have some mechanical "needs" (unless they are a 4.9 I6-they don't like high rpm, high speeds) or are just wore out-the newest bronco out there is 12 years old!

AND NO IT IS NOT VERY SMART TO GO HIGH SPEED IN A TRUCK UNLESS IT IS A TROPHY TRUCK IN THE BAJA 1000!!! I KNOW ALREADY!

#17 ·
It's an 06. I bought it back in April, sadly I only put 12000 miles on it this summer poor bike got neglected after I bought the car. I know what it's like to slide on pavement at 40mph, I'll skip 150

#24 ·
90mph is as fast as I have gone on the 38"s, But I heald it for several minuts.

I once had the needle buried against the trip odomiter button on 35"s. I figure thats around 100mph. And that was back in the day with a 302.

#29 ·
call me gay, but why would anyone want to go faster than 90mph (I have but, you know) in these trucks? The brakes arent up to stopping at that speed, they sure as shit cant handle at that speed, and is the cab even built to take a roll over at that speed? (or anything faster than 55mph)

I have a car if I want to go fast. 156mph is the fastest I've done in my car. (still a dead man if something goes wrong)

#33 ·
The fastest i've had my bronco going is about 120kph before i let off, but with the 35's and 3:55 gears i think my actual speed was around 145kph. I wasn't to comfortable driving the bronco at that speed, so i just do the damn speed limit. I'm not sure what my tire pressure was but i'm thinking probably 40-45psi and it still felt like my tires were balloons.

One morning on my way to work i was driving my car down the highway, actually i was just steering the car with one finger while sippin on a coffee with the cruise set at 140kph, and i got passed by a speeding bronco that was lifted and had to be rolling on at least 37's. He must have been doing 155-160kph and didn't let up either, it was a pretty long stretch and his bronco just kept getting smaller and smaller until i couldn't see him anymore.

What ever blows your hair back....

PS. I'm in Canada and don't pay attention MPH.

#34 ·
Did 100 in my '81 with my 1bbl 300. :) In the straight aways on the interstate in the middle of no where (limit was 75) and I was curious.
2700 RPMs at 100mph so I could definitely go faster if I had more hp at the time. Have about 40 more hp now with some upgrades, but not in the mood to try it again.
Usually travel at 80 - 85 though. The Bronco handled surprisingly well at those speeds. (Most, if not all, of my suspension is new.)

It's an '81, so obviously no governors of any kind.

#35 ·
Both of mine have manual speed limiters of 55 mph. I once saw 65 mph on the speedometer, panicked, let out a blood-curdling scream, lifted the speed limiter off the throttle, pulled over to let the blood back into my knuckles, wiped the sweat from my forehead...took a deep breath...

Seriously; don't know, hope to never find out. As long as they will top out at 25 mph on the trails...

#36 ·
I had a friend of mine pace me in his BMW and he said I was still climbing when we hit 95mph. Let out of it due to not knowing the speed rating of the tires on the truck and the lack of an overdrive.....

#37 ·
Lol...I know the feeling...a friend of mine from work paced me/raced me on the interstate at 4:30 in the morning w/his explorer(newer)...made it to 105 and was still pulling :histerica I let off as well not knowing the rating of the tires on the truck as well, and of course, no OD either. :toothless

KC

#38 ·
Not good to mention but when mine had the 31's I had it up to around 110 stupid racing another chebby z71 with a 350 but my nose was just hanging right about his side mirror, but im happy she kept up!

I havnt taken it over 103 with the lift and tires, dont plan to. It was a mistake going that fast with any kind of lifted vehicle.

#39 ·
I have done 65, touched 70 a few times. I stay around 55-60 most of the time on the highway. But I prefer the 35-45 range on the back roads, keeps the RPMs below 3000...

#49 ·
Must be a diferance in geographic location.

If your vehichle cant run 75mph for extended periods of time, your safer just staying at home. I was running with the flow of trafic this morning, just keeping up and going the same as everyone else, 80mph.
(8 lane Interstate, 4 in each direction)

#40 ·
Gacknar;1856997 I once had the needle buried against the trip odomiter button on 35"s. I figure thats around 100mph. And that was back in the day with a 302.[/QUOTE said:
I think you're selling yourself short there Gack

I'd say that's a lot closer to 110mph on an 86' speedo IMHO.

Me and a buddy measured and painted marks on an old junker speedo and it worked out to just over 110 mph, by our crude but fairly accurate measurements.

In this pic I'm sitting at an honest 80 mph (mph are on the inside of the French km markings). At 80mph I'd say the "clock" is reading 3:30pm. At 50 mph the clock is reading about 1:30pm. When you wind that needle against the trip meter reset pin you're reading 6:00pm.

By extrapolation if the 2 hours worth, between 50 mph and 80 mph, is worth 30 mph, then there's fully 2 1/2 hours in the clock hands left between 3:30pm (80 mph) and 6:00pm (110+mph). Measurements bear this out even more

My 86' 5.0 litre has no trouble winding the needle against that trip meter reset pin too, and I have plenty of pedal and oomph left too.

but, as somebody said in another post around here today, I'd rather be quick than fast, especially in our bricks.

Sixlitre

#41 ·
Just a question, why do some guys start threads about speed and power in Bronco's, and get verbally abused for it while others start a huge thread?

BTW I love going fast, ive had the speedo buried many a night on my way home from my girlfriends house =D
I've gone 140 in my '06 Jetta GLI, then it hit the governor. The road from Walla Walla Wa. to Portland Or. is long and straight =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.