Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

starter wont stop

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Alvin in AZ 
#1 ·
alright, i got the 82 bronco started, but something wierd is happening. the starter will not disengage. even when the key is out. any thoughts, i am at a loss and need to do something.

#3 ·
So leaving work today i started the blue rocket, and i could here the starter still spinning, so i turned off the truck. The starter continued to have power, cranking over the engine, so I disconnected the battery lead real fast and in a hurry. I then tried putting the battery lead back on, and the starter started cranking again. So i removed the battery lead and beat the starter relay. it works fine now. The kid i bought the bronco from said it was having problems like this, so he bought a new motorcraft relay that is currently installed, looking at this post and the other starter running post i think its wired correctly. Is it possible that the new one is bad? or is it more likely that it has a bad ground or wire?

#8 ·
x2 :)

That's the sort of thing I'm figuring too, but I sure as heck don't know. :/
Yep, I have no idea where the trouble is but this situation sounds typical.

Next thing you know this scenario will unfold...
1) relay keeps the starter running
2) change out relay
3) still happening
4) change out relay again
5) still happening
6) buy and change out another part
7) still happening
8) take it to a mechanic... :/
9) ...that'll use a multimeter to find the actual trouble and fix it. xD

The PO could've used one of these to start with...
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-analog-multimeter/p-03482362000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13
...saved the expense of a relay plus fixed whatever was really
wrong and not sold his Bronco? ;)

Our gain and his loss huh, Red? LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

#10 ·
I had this problem a few months back. I had popped off a ground wheeling about a week before this happened and I had already replaced the battery, solenoid, and starter. So I didn't know what it could be off the top of my head. Identifix a website I use in the shop to help me with engine codes and other symptoms had 20 something confirmed fixes for battery cables. So I check mine an my ground off battery to body was corroded and rusted. I replaced it and haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps -Nico

#12 ·
My sister had the exact same problem on her eclipse. And it was a brand new starter too. Replace the starter. The bendix unit is screwed. Replacement is your only option.

#13 ·
Most of the time a starter that wont disengage is related to the starter solenoid. The starter motor itself is not bad, obviously it is working fine turning the motor over. Its the solenoid that sends power to the motor and is supposed to stop sending the power once the ignition switch is no longer being cranked. So may just need to replace the solenoid!

#14 ·
Sometimes you can repair or replace the soleniod on the starter. On alot of starters this is not an option.

#15 ·
Well technically any solenoid could be replaced... If you can find just the solenoid!

I am new to Ford but I sell Ford parts all day at my job, didnt a lot of the late 80's early 90's fords run the remote located starter solenoid? like on the fender wall? versus actually mounted to the back of the starter?

#16 ·
Two different solenoids. Yes you are correct in what you are thinking but, That is the ignition solenoid on the fender wall. And it merely supply's the "signal" to engage the starter. There is another solenoid on the starter that actually activates it. The starter solenoid.

#17 ·
Ok you both have it messed up. LOL :)

That thing on the apron, Ford calls it a "starter relay". That's a
perfect description because that's exactly what it -is- and what
it -does- both at the same time. ;)

Category-wise, it could be called a "solenoid actuated relay".

But either way, in the end, it's a friggin -relay-, ok? ;)

The "starter solenoid" (side of the starter) was invented by Delco.
The "starter drive" (inside the starter) was invented by Bendix.

We on the same page now? ;)

Alvin in AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.