Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

About to need a positive battery cable

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  TravisITGuy 
#1 ·
My battery cables are pretty bad, installed new ends but whole assemblies need replaced. Appears my positive cable is like a mini wiring harness! Obsolete from Ford but would be around $200.00 if they could find one. Any ideas? 96 with 5.8
Thanks

#2 ·
Local auto parts store should be able to get a replacement cable for you for a lot less.

#4 ·
Hey Tango, My 1996 5.0 has the same problem with the battery wiring harness, and the closest thing to a solution that I've found is making one yourself, which I definitely can't do so I'd have to find someone to do it for me. But about what Ziggy said, I'd like to find out more about that, because I didn't know people made an aftermarket harness like that.

----Jeremy

#5 ·
Did you try looking at LMC, Bronco Graveyard or Dennis Carpenter web sites yet to see if they might have what you need? If you have more then one wire feeding off the battery, you might have to replace just the positive cable, then put terminal rings on the other wires and attach them individually to the terminal bolt. I understand your dilema but sometimes you have to find a cheaper out that still does the job. Otherwise, you might have to hit up your local junkyard for a good replacement wiring harness.

#6 ·
my advance has all different styles of battery cables, id just get one there. i needed a new terminal so i was gonna replace the whole cable but it wat too much work. all you need to make your own is the terminal, cable, small torch, and solder. you could crimp it if you didnt want to solder it.

#7 ·
Most of the online sites do not list the battery cables by the Ford part numbers. Here is a list of the positive and negative cables listed for the early 90's gas engine equipped trucks:

WC-8976 Positive Battery Cable 40” Long
WC-8980 Negative ground Strap 45” Long

If you search on the WC-XXXX numbers many of the online suppliers list them in stock. If you search by make/model you get the generic listing for cables. I found the part numbers on a Ford parts website. They are a bit pricey so shop around. Hint: RockAuto usually lists them and they are a vendor here..

#8 ·
Cable

Thanks all, I'll keep looking around and researching. This is a double cable positive system with another harness attaching to the cable that goes to the starter. I'd say it attaches about 15 inches down from the battery. The cable that attaches to the ignition box(probably wrong terminology) has a unique end that bolts to the box. Like I said, ford says the positive cable alone was about $200.

#9 ·
Yes those cables are pricey from Ford, if they were available. Many sites show they are obsolete. Is this what you are looking for:

That is a photo from NAPA of their part no.CBL 718036. It's not exactly the same as the Ford, the connector on one end of the Ford cable is horseshoe shaped to fit over both side of the starter relay. This one is a single lug terminal. Oreilly Auto Parts has the WC8976 cable if you search by that number, not the vehicle make/model.

#11 ·
I did some more research at Fordparts.com. There is a newer cable assembly for the 95/96 trucks. The Motorcraft number is WC-95718. The description indicates it is the positive AND negative cable assemblies. I have not found any photos of that part yet.

#12 ·
Rockauto has it for $47.79. You have to search for "Starter Cable". Look under 96 F150 (it is not listed under Bronco). MOTORCRAFT Part # WC9386 {#F6TZ14300JB} is for 96.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.