Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

turbo bronco

18K views 63 replies 31 participants last post by  PAULSBIG56 
#1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone has ever seen one with a turbo on it? or even two? i was thinking i have these 2 16g's from my old subie project and a spare 351 windsor. I know it wouldnt be good for wheeling but i dont do rocks, just mud and it would just be one of those things where you say "wow thats dumb but i want it" when people see it. any ideas on tranny and transfercase? its getting dana 60 and 10.25 diffs so those should hold along with a cage. (i cant help it. i will put a turbo on my lawnmower one day, i already have one on my mustang and festiva)

#2 ·
I read a thread awhile back where someone was thinking about doing it. I hear it would be a good idea for mud. And if you have a spare 351 sitting around, then why not try it? No idea about what kind of tranny you would use.

#3 ·
I've seen a turbo'ed F150 with a 302... so pretty much the same thing.

It'd be good for any application you want, just as long as you build it correctly. If you set it up so that you have a good power curve, there's no reason why you couldn't use it for wheeling.

#5 ·
turbo's can build tremendous amounts of heat if used hard for long periods of time.I've seen turbo's glow red after some spirited driving through the moutains in my buddies mustang gt with a gt30r,he had plenty of oil going through but he ended up replacing his because it fried the turbo.It would be like dunking metal that just got red hot,it would substantially weaken the metal and/or cause it to shatter.

#6 ·
ive been thinking about that also. i was going to mount them kind of high behind a splashshield/heatshield. i have seen them glow so bad i looks like the car has neons on it, i wont be running stupid boost (10-15 psi well until i get bored:goodfinge) and there will be 2 so i shouldnt have them that hot. and if they pop well it just means i will have to get bigger turbos :rockon

#10 ·
damn, i really badly want an STI... My stepdad had a 05 Legacy GT, i loved that car and drove the balls out of it until i blew the turbo... that was a sad, sad day.

anyways, why not just run a supercharger instead?

#12 ·
dang!

#13 ·
jesus ****.... my ears hurt from that thing and my computers volume is down at 3. I would sooner willingly drown in my own feces than drive with that noise day in, day out.

And i would be scared shitless to dunk that...

#15 ·
jesus ****.... my ears hurt from that thing and my computers volume is down at 3. I would sooner willingly drown in my own feces than drive with that noise day in, day out.
really? cause i would drive the baaaalllllllsss outta that motor all day any day. glowing red, purple, white i dont care...

#14 ·
I saw one, but didn't get any pics. It was a 94 with a 302 and a what looked like a lightening intake and some custom made turbo manifolds. It ran a 13.9 in the quarter mile. Looked bone stock on the outside besides the bald all seasons in the rear.
I think it would be cool to do one.

#16 ·
That would be cool . I remember seing a mustang 5.0 in HotRod magazine with a home built twin turbo setup on it . The turbos were from John Deer Tracktor,s . When running a turbo or turbos poeple need to run a Pyrometer gauge for (EGT) exhaust gas temp so they don,t over heat them or shut them down wile there to hot to = short life.
Brian

#19 ·
i have seen over 1600 degrees on my diesel truck with a single charger. once i built my set of compound turbos 1150 is all i see, and i am at 600 dyno proven hp. a buddy has an 05 dodge that we built, he doesnt see over 1050 and has put down 1289hp on a dynojet, course that was on some giggle gas, it was 850 on fuel alone.

#20 ·
STI turbos are mounted on top, so it's less likely to get wet. Also, what did you do to achieve 24psi? They only barely hit 1bar (14psi) from the factory.

Also, keep in mind that smaller turbos have a power efficiency low in the rpm range, while big turbos take a long time to spool up but can make big power at high rpms. Big turbos are pretty much useless for the street, and if you want to run two turbos on a 5.0 bronco, then a pair of TD03/04 hybrids is a good setup for flow to displacement.

#22 ·
It is pretty popular to use the turbos off of the Tbird turbocoupes on the
5.0s, I am actually towards the end of my "parts gathering" stage for my turbo mustang build as well.

Here recently, I too have been thinking alot about throwing a turbo or two on the bronco, mainly just for the excellent torque boost. I mean with Turbocoupe twins, the boost would start low in the rpm range where one would need it, as apposed to a PSD turbo that would need 3k rpm to begin to spool.

(This may be just me typing, and noone may care) but on the mustang builds with the small twins, (i.e. turbocoupe T3s i think they were), people complain about them running out of juice in the upper rpms. (sucks for a mustang but doesn't make 2 sh!ts on a lower rpm range bronco)...

I think that a small twin setup would be very beneficial on a bronco.

#24 ·
I have a buddy with a pristine '92 that has a turbo. He did it 2 years ago. IIRC, he has a stroked 351 with other mods. Took him a long time to get it dialed in. IT sounds reat now.

The trans is a 2 speed powerglide with a Gear Vendors OD. It's no longer 4WD. The transfer case is gone and the front axle is gutted. I havent had a ride yet,but it sounds like it pulls really strong. He hasnt revealed any 1/4 mile times..............

#26 ·
i am running a big 16 ported and clipped 22Psi forged internal FMIC and tons of supporting mods..

turboing a bronco would take some work
larger full pump
SAFC to manage the fuel curve
larger injectors to support more a/f ratio
colder plugs to prevent detanation
wasted to atom or exhaust .. depends on exhaust plumbing
does you bronco run a maf or mas
if it runns mas you need to recurictulate the Bov
custom instake plenum
custom exhust mana
custom down tubes
3in exhaust min
intercooler( or there is really no point in tuboring a car)

most inportantly what will the stock internals support most cars/truck on 5-7 psi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.