Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

High RPM shift AOD transmission?

28K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  40ozT0Freedom 
#1 ·
Hello FSB, I have a 1989 5.0 with the AOD transmission this transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago by AMCO and has only had 600 miles put on it sence. The problem is it is not shifting into gear properly. The RPM goes high and then shifts, it does not slip and goes into all gears but is taking too long to shift. I bought the bronco this way and was hopping I could get some direction on some things to check out before pulling it out. Thank you for any advice you have to offer.

#3 ·
Do you mean it shifts into gear slowly, like from P to D or from N to D (or to R)?

Or do you mean that it shifts slowly into gears 2-4 when driving?

Either way first thing to check is fluid level at operating temp. Red, no bubbles is key.

#4 ·
Thank you for the replies! It does it all the time while driving. For example when starting from park it will drive fine but take too long to shift into 2nd gear, the RPM's just keep climbing until she will finally shift. If I let off the gas she will shift into second gear at that time as well. There are no hard shifts or slipping at all just takes WAY to long to go into the next gear. I checked the fluid and it was clean and red, does appear to have too much fluid though.

#6 ·
I have not checked to see if the bronco does it in all gears as I have been to afraid to drive it at any high speeds in fear of damaging the transmission anymore than it is. I read a post that was recomending to install a new "TC" which is located by the throttle body I believe. it's a rubber part and the replacement is brass, I might try that this weekend. Any information and direction is much apreciated!!!!! Thank you

#8 ·
Sounds like they put a shift kit in it. My Chevy that I use for plowing does this. It will shift at like 2500-3000 rpm under extremely light throttle. But it sure makes plowing a lot easier. You may just have to get used to it.

#10 ·
yo,
Failures/Erratic Shift Operation; "...Failure to complete proper diagnosis and verification of repair prior to and after transmission replacement — failure may have been caused by components external to the transmission. Ensure that the transmission cooler/s, cooler lines and cooler hoses are not blocked, restricted, leaking or damaged. See the appropriate Workshop Manual. Incomplete or incorrect transmission cooler system flushing procedures followed. Failure to replace Oil-to-Air (OTA) cooler on affected applications. Vehicle wiring harness damaged or chafed — closely inspect the harness for any damaged areas, particularly on modified/fleet vehicles. Correct any concerns of damage, corrosion or routing and ensure there are no DTCs using the correct scan tool. Ensure that the harness plug has no damaged pins, cracks or corrosion — correct as necessary. Engine performance issues can adversely affect transmission operation — be sure to correct any drivability concerns and/or codes during course of repair..."
Source: by fordparts.com

1 to 2 Upshift Troubleshooting
Source: by Jem270 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/556353_1

Trouble Shooting, COMPREHENSIVE; "...from the AOD service manual..."
Source: by duanemyhre at http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30511

scroll to "Rough/Harsh/Delayed 1-2 Upshift"
Possible Source(s):
§ Improper fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Perform «fluid level check» .

Possible Source(s):
§ Poor engine performance.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Tune engine.

Possible Source(s):
§ TV linkage--misadjusted (high TV)/damaged. All shifts will be harsh/delayed.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Adjust linkage. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Main control pressure too high.

Action(s) to Take:
§ «Control pressure test» . Note results.

Possible Source(s):
§ Governor valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Perform «governor test» . Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body bolts--loose/too tight.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Tighten to 9-11 N-m (80-97 lb-in)

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body dirty/sticking valves.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Determine source of contamination. Service as required.

Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature
Source: by tcsproducts.com http://www.tcsproducts.com/media/1/TCS_Ford_AOD_Trans_Schematic_2011.pdf

#11 ·
UPDATE

I have an update on the high RPM shifting issue. I read so much on this site about the TV cable, I went to the local junk yard and pulled one off another bronco. When I compared it to the one on my truck I noticed the spring on my old one behind the clip on top appeared to be streched more than the new one. Took about 5 minuntes to switch them out. Took it for a drive and it shifts PERFECT!!!! I lucked out on this one but I recommend anyone with a similar issue try the same as I paid 10.00 for this part and if I took it into a shop it would have cost a fortune. Thanks FSB members for all your post's and information!

#12 ·
I have an update on the high RPM shifting issue. I read so much on this site about the TV cable, I went to the local junk yard and pulled one off another bronco. When I compared it to the one on my truck I noticed the spring on my old one behind the clip on top appeared to be streched more than the new one. Took about 5 minuntes to switch them out. Took it for a drive and it shifts PERFECT!!!! I lucked out on this one but I recommend anyone with a similar issue try the same as I paid 10.00 for this part and if I took it into a shop it would have cost a fortune. Thanks FSB members for all your post's and information!
Mine does the EXACT same thing as you were describing. Ill see if i can grab a TV cable my next JY trip. Thanks! :beer

EDIT: Unless the e4od would require a different solution?

#17 ·
fluid change both dropping pan changing internal filter and torque converter drain plug. atleast a 11x7 trans cooler and a remote trans filter. And to pull codes to see if there is any stored codes.
Ive changed the fluid and filter already. Ive got the towing package so i know i have the larger cooler, do i have a stock remote filter or would i need to add that?

#13 ·
I have not messed with a TV cable since I had my 88' Bronco. (ten years ago) But I remember adjusting it was eazy. Adjust it one way and it shifted lower, the other higher. I adjusted it at the throttle body. It was quick. I found that I liked it to shift at 4000 rpm with the pedal on the floor. (it would shift much lower when you didnt have it floored) I dont think it hurts anything when it shifts to high. But I have heard that if you make it shift too soon, it can cook the tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.