Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

The ULTIMATE better MPG thread!

Tags
mpg
271K views 737 replies 202 participants last post by  BroncMom 
#1 ·
So with the high gas prices, and the huge amount of new comers to this wonderful site asking what to do to get better MPG and the millions of threads about it I decided I would pull together some of the better information and give you what I have been researching. I have been pulling tons of threads and been saving them about MPG gains and what to do to help. If you think some of my information is incorrect than please let me know as well. I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BECOME A DEBATE. This is info i found on THIS site. If there is anything I can add even if it is debatable, I want to give the reader an idea of good ways, cheap ways, and all ways of better MPG. Most of the listed also give more power, so it is a win-win situation.

Intake: Intakes take in more air than regular drop filter compartment. More (cold) air means happier and smoother running engine. Some people notice MPG gain, others don’t. I read that SSgtTex said he got around 3 MPG better with the FIPK I didn’t notice a difference because I did my before I had my license. There are tons of companies out their. Most people go with K&N. want to do this but don’t have the money? Here is a “Ghetto-fab K&N write ups.” They sound cool as well, so that’s another reason it’s cool to have a K&N.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10169&highlight=mpg
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116432&highlight=ram+air

Electric Fan Swap-This is a swap i believe people usually get them out of Taurus' but many other cars as well. Pretty much, they cool the engine better and are more efficient. However, they are electric so they use more battery power. I read that they can help about 1-2 MPG. A great write up by kf4amu:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40564&highlight=electric+fan

Headers: Headers will replace the stock exhaust manifolds. This allows for better airflow. Once again better air flow = happier truck= better MPG. With less air restriction they often have performance benefits as well, such as better horsepower. There are 2 different kinds: Shorty and long tube. Shorties are good for people who have or are going to do a SAS (solid axle swap). However Shorties don’t have as much performance and MPG gains as long tube. You can read more about header set up here:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73629&highlight=mpg

Mufflers: Scraping you stock muffler and swapping to a new muffler is a good cheap change. The stock muffler restricts air flow. New performance mufflers also allow better air flow and help with MPG gain and HP. I notice a difference with my Flowmaster 40 series. Mufflers more often than not make the truck sound better than stock does. (Refer to the link above for more exhaust help.)

Exhaust set up: Replacing the stock y pipe with a bassani or similar is supposed to do more then any other exhuast modification or so I have read on here about 2 MPG gain . Also like stated below, scraping the stock exhaust pipping with newer wider pipes will better MPG(more air flow) Below is Gacknar's set up.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77217&highlight=bassani+pipe

Gears and Gearing: If you have a lifted truck and stock gears don’t really ask for very good MPG. The big tires with stock gearing put strain on the truck and how hard it has to work. With better gearing you can get pretty close to what it was like driving stock both performance wise and MPG wise. The down side to gearing is that it is expensive. There are billion of different ratios to go with so you can refer to here for what fits you best.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355&highlight=mpg

Timing Bump and ignition upgrade: This upgrade involves a new coil, distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires and such. When you do the timing it changes the time when the spark is introduced in to the piston to ignite the fuel earlier so the unused gas wont make it through. Now its getting ignited. So you are getting more horsepower and no more unburnt gas.There are plenty of write-ups about it like the Sixlitre. Here is Sewiv’s. About a 4-5 MPG gain.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592&highlight=sixlitre+tune

Ignition Boxes:These control the ignition spark. The powerful inductive sparks will help burn the fuel mixture more efficiently improving starting, idle quality and economy. These can be picked up for around 100 dollars and more.

Weight: This is major. The less weight in the truck the better MPG it will get. So try and not carry all you tools and off road equiptment if it is not needed. An extra 100lbs can reduce your mileage by 2% or vice versa. Less weight the less restriction.

Tires:Make sure they aired up to the proper PSI's. Make sure your alignment is straight

Additives​

Seafoam: This is a additive that can be added to the fuel tank, carburetor or fuel injection system, or the oil crankcase. The point is not to burn more efficiently (you'll actually get less MPG while you are burning through the tank that has seafoam in it) but to clean the system out so that fuel isn't restricted and there isn't as much carbon and crap interfering.
One can only cost about 6 bucks, and can be picked up at pretty much any auto store. I have personally used this and other Fuel Injector Cleaners and notice they do work my gas lasted longer in my tank with it. Here is a write up about how to do it.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43682&highlight=mpg

Maintenance: Changing you fluids (tranny, engine oil, diffs) will make you car run smoother and alot better thus making you MPG maintain a good average. If you run your gears and engine dry of fluids then it wears,breaks and destroys the truck. Proper maintenance will extend the life of you truck. Some people sware by SYNTHETICS. They last longer than regular oil, and are suppose to be better for the engine.

Now for the debatable bolt on features!!!​

Throttle Body Spacers (TBS) : These increase air intake volume and velocity. They are supposed to increase HP, torque, and MPG. Some people do notice a difference, some don’t. A lot of people say they are a waste of money but for 90 bucks you can pick up one for yourself. I read that Allcruisen got a 2 MPG gain from one. You can read more about them and debates of them here:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25707&highlight=mpg

Engine Performance Booster: These are what you know as Tornado or Turbonator. They say they can increase MPG by 24% and HP by 13 HP. I find these a little un-realistic. But I have read that they do help. They are cheap around 65 bucks you can pick one up for. They create a mini whirlwind of air to ensure better fuel atomization. MikE2 did a test and said he did get better MPG and HP with them about 1.5-2 MPG gain.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62846

Hoods Cowl induction hoods allow for cold air to cool your engine. They supposably allow the fuel/ air mix more properly. I have never heard if they actully do get better MPG and better performance but im guessing they do or racecars wouldn't use them.

Driving style: this is most important. you need to drive with an easy foot, punching the gas and breaking hard are good ways to get bad MPG. Revving your engine also is a good way to get bad MPG....ask me i know :D Letting the engine run on very cold days for a little while is good, however cranking your heat up and letting the truck run for 20 minutes so you have your own little equator, that will hurt you MPG. Driving over 60MPH can really decrease your MPB the ideal MPH is in between 55-60 usually. This can be benificial to up to 20%.

Wind and Wind Resistance: When on the highways dont have your windows rolled down, this creates drag. Also, Avoid luggage racks or other things that make your truck less aerodynamic.

Once again this is just a starter. I don’t know everything about trucks, this is information I grabbed from the website, so it is really YOUR information. I just condensed a lot of threads into one to make it easier for people to find info on this subject. Please PM me with any problems or suggestions, as I don’t want to make this a confusing thread for people. Thanks 96GreenMonster.

Just remember that you are driving broncos. you will never have a 30MPG truck, this info above hopefully will help better your case.

See less See more
#3 ·
also, replacing the stock exhuast pipes will help a ton

#4 ·
as for the timing a good way to put it is, when a car is running rich it means unburnt fuel is getting into the exhaust so that means gas is being wasted. When you do the timing it changes the time when the spark is introduced in to the piston to ignite the fuel earlier so the unused gas wont make it through. Now its getting ignited. So you are getting more horsepower and no more unburnt gas.

Reactions: Bronco84-Mart86
#5 ·
MORE ON INTAKES

There are more than one type of intake; Warm air intake, cold air intake, ram air intake. Most people use the term "cold air intake" even when the system is not a cold air intake. All three are better than stock (unless you go mudding or sumerge your truck in water, then your just asking for trouble) All air intakes operate on the principle of increasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion with fuel. Some make the intake air hotter than the stock system some colder.

Good - Warm air intake :toothless

Warm air from inside the engine bay is used opposed to air taken from the generally more restrictive stock intake. Warmer air is less dense, and thus contains less oxygen to burn fuel in.

Better - Ram air intake ;)

A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power. Creates a "cold air intake" noise when you accelerate.

Best - COLD air intake :rockon

Because cooler air has more density for a given volume, cold air intakes generally work by introducing cooler air from outside the hot engine bay. Normally the air from outside the engine bay is pull in from behind the wheel wells, front grill,or a hood scoop. A secondary goal is to increase the appeal of a car by changing the appearance of a car's engine bay and creating an attractive intake noise.

#10 ·
Reduce all the extra weight you can.

Idle as little as possible.

Drive sensibly with a light foot. No flooring it!!

Try to change your driving style basically...

There is no "Thread" or explaination that I am aware of but its common sense for most people.

KC

EDIT: Maybe this should be a sticky for newbs looking for "MPG" gains?

Reactions: themike
#12 ·
make sure tire pressure is correct. Make sure the alignment stays pretty accurate. Maybe not running the knobbiest tires you can possibly fine on the road.

#16 ·
I tried keeping my foot off the skinny pedal more, and it obviously helped my mpg.

But, that didn't last very long.:rockon:goodfinge

All those mods do help some, I've tried most of em' and I'm now much better that my old worn-out stock mpg. I don't know any real figures, but It certainly uses less fuel than it used to.

Keep in mind, there's no such thing as good fuel economy in a 5500 lb+ SUV.:doh0715:

#18 ·
Yes, these do help some. They do work, people just need to pony up the cash and be happy. Like i said, you aren't going to have a 30MPG truck, but there is nothing wrong with a 15MPG. i currently get 9. when i end up doing all of the above. i hope to have around 15 or anything better than 9.

there are more on the mod end of work.

you need your truck runnign properly as well, change out your fuel filter, straight alignment, etc
as you see i am constantly adding new things, there are billions of things to be done. i hope that each day i can add more and get most of the helpers posted.:rockon

#21 ·
I tell you probably the biggest thing, other then making sure it runs well, is the driver. These things are a brick!!! more so if lifted, you try to run at high speeds, and your punching a HUGE hole in the air!!!!!!!!! Also, and I almost hate to say it,:D stock height, and tires will do FAR better then a lift, and big meats!!

#25 ·
Remove dead weight things you do not need like winch brush gaurd wife and kids spare tire and carrier.
Drop your speed I got 35 MPG out of an 88 Lincoln Mark VII by running 55mph on the highway (I know it is a car and it takes long to get to places but better than 25 MPG at 65-75 MPH)
Follow behind larger vehicles safely let a rig/or larger car punch a hole in the air.
Less restrictive intake manifold and going to a complete rollar setup lifters and rockers.
Don't use the A/C or remove it completely
Under drive pulley kit
Go topless
remove smog equipement (as long as you do not have emmission testing)
Washing and waxing can help too
The best way to get better MPG is to have someone else drive you.
I am working on trying to get 20MPG out of my Bronco I think it can be done.

#27 ·
I am working on trying to get 20MPG out of my Bronco I think it can be done.
I hit about 20mpg on mine comeing back from tahoe once. There are about
4-5 people on this site that have got 20 and one guy even got a little over 22 :rockon

My normal is around 17 and havent done the y pipe yet.

Keep the information flowing, lets try to get everyones Bronco above 15:chili:

#28 ·
Heres a "Cold Air" intake being the 14x 4.5 K&N filter is sitting completely out of the hood. It also shortened up the air travel greatly. I would like to make another out of metal making bigger pipes and one turn.

right away when I start it, and when taking off, you can really hear it sucking in air, just like running it without any intake.

increase in mpg? The gas gauge doesnt work, so I am not too sure:chili:

#29 ·
Ditching the stock heads should net some extra power and mileage. There is alot of restriction in the exhaust ports. It's not exactly a "bolt-on" but you can get a good pair of heads for around $1000 (cast Iron). Heads with a slightly smaller chamber should also make the engine more efficient, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.