Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

ford 9 inch rear disc brake conversion???

44K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  migz 
#1 ·
so does anybody know of a cheap way to do a rear disc brake conversion on a ford 9 inch for a 79 ford bronco

#2 ·
Yeah,
Use mid 70's Lincoln Versallis parts. Direct bolt on, will have to use J@@p rotors and upgrade the front
calipers to mid 70's full size car, LTD, T Bird etc. They have bigger pistons, depending your year Bronco.'78 or '79
add that year F350 MC and Booster. It will stop on a dime and give a nickles change back.
I did this to my '78, best mod I have done, and that includes the 460.

#3 ·
We used calipers, rotors, and caliper brackets from a '79 D44 on my brother's Ranger.

Here's how we modified the brackets. Made them the same shape as the flange on the 9".

Had to get the inside of the rotor machined down just a tad.... Almost any shop that deals with brakes can do this for you.

And welded the bracket onto the axle (just tacked on in these pics).

Sorry... I can't find any pics with the caliper bolted on. But they do work great.

#13 ·
The Mustang axle used the small bearing retainer on the end of the tubes, Correct? The Lincoln used the larger truck bearing retainer, I don't see how it is a direct swap. 3rd member ok, but don't see how the brake parts swap over. Is there two different size Versallies/Monarch axle bearings?

#19 ·
Mustang guys do dig the versilles axles as they are 5x4.5 lug pattern - but what they don't know is that they are 28 spline and they are also expensive to buy brake parts for.

For the bronco 9" many ways have been posted to convert them but I figured I'd add a little.

In the past I have used the front rotors off a 82 CJ-5 jeep 4wd and then chevy calipers with weld on brackets.

Rear disk brakes can be done for $100 or so.

#20 ·
79F150

Here in Michigan there hasn't been a 9 inch with disc brakes in a junk yard for 20 years.
Weather it is a Versallies, Monarch, etc those cars are non existant here,
especially when scrap was high a few years ago, so the disc brake stuff is cheap.
I got the Versallies brakes for free because the Mustang guy was going with a late model Mustang brake parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.