96 Bronco XLT , heater does not work?? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
SVTGhoust

96 Bronco XLT , heater does not work??

OK guys,

I have been trolling around the boards trying to troubleshoot and solve this issue. But I have had no luck. I just picked up a 96 bronco 5.8 XLT. The truck has 127000 miles on it. The heater does not blow hot. It blows cold and the A/C works just fine.

So far here is what I have done:

1. Replaced the thermostat
2. flushed the coolant
3. replaced the heater core

But still no heat. I am freezing my ass off while driving at night time and in the early morning. What else could it be? Any other suggestions guys?
SVTGhoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Daves 88'

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco XLT,302, Tow package w/ limited slip, cat back exhaust, on 31's
Mine is a resistor type system, but I think later on they used vaccum for the actuator apparatus deal, whatchamacallit. I understand it's some apparatus on your blower motor on the firewall I wreckon. Somebody who has a later model will chime in sooner or later to get it straight.
Got any coolant leaks coming from the passenger side floorboard?
I can see the nuts now , the rod was in the way before . Thanks ,Bill
Daves 88' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
liltimmy08
Hey you! F*CK OFF!

Bronco Info: 1996 XL 302, Rebuilt E4OD, Transgo shift kit, 32" BFG's
Could be air in the system or not enough coolant. It could also be your heat exchanger knob... or whatever the fawk its called that switches you from cold to hot.

96 Ford Bronco, 302, The weekend warrior.

96 F-250 Powerstroke. 4 tons of tire shredding, coal rollin' fun.
liltimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
SVTGhoust

no coolant leak that I can see. I have replaced the heater core and checked to ensure that all hoses are tight
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
ronco93

Bronco Info: '93 FSB Custom, 5.0L, E4OD, BW1356, Stock Axles
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltimmy08 View Post
Could be air in the system or not enough coolant. It could also be your heat exchanger knob... or whatever the fawk its called that switches you from cold to hot.

Check the vacuum line that goes into the black heater core/AC evaporator coil housing on the passenger side of the firewall. That's what drives the flap that mixes your hot and cold air. If that doesn't work, you're probably going to end up pulling apart that housing.
ronco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
pattapit

Bronco Info: BLK '92 FSB, 5.0 V8, 37" Meats, 6" Lift w/ 4.56 gearing D44TTB, 8.8 Rear. HOORAH
I understand that you changed the heater core...

that being said, mine was blowing cold when I got it, I took off the two hoses going into the passenger side where the heater core is... I put a hose on it and flushed it tough.

Maybe your pipes from where the hoses connect to the heater core are plugged? I donno, just a suggestion. and it's very easy to try, so why not?!

Peep my SuperMotors Garage:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20448
pattapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
ronco93

Try these two things:

1)With engine at operating temp, are the heater core hoses hot to the touch? If no, then you have an issue with the cooling system.

2)With the A/C running, if you adjust the cold/hot control, does the temp of the air comming out of the vents change? If no, it sounds like its your flap that adjusts the air temp
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
cemusic86

Bronco Info: 1995 XL ,302 V-8, 99% stock, Mile Marker manual hubs
check that you have enough coolant in the system.....sounds crazy but trust me..it works..;-)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
SVTGhoust

[quote=ronco93;2006789]Try these two things:

1)With engine at operating temp, are the heater core hoses hot to the touch? If no, then you have an issue with the cooling system.
QUOTE]

Check this and the 2 hoses going to the core are cold at operating temperature compared to the upper radiator hose. should I try flushing the 2 hoses? The truck has good coolant (just changed the radiator hoses and coolant)

Any further suggestions?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
ronco93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemusic86 View Post
check that you have enough coolant in the system.....sounds crazy but trust me..it works..;-)
Did you remember to top off the radiator w/ engine running at operating temp after the t-stat opened?

Or when you flushed perhaps you dislodged some gunk and it didn't make it all the way out, causing a blockage somewhere?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
DblA

I've had this problem - I just needed to run it with the radiator cap off until all the air bubbled out. Mine had a lot of air in the system and it had gotten trapped in the heater core, but after it works great. Don't know if this is the case with yours but could be.
DblA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
poptop

Bronco Info: 96 5.0 xlt 31.1050s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblA View Post
I've had this problem - I just needed to run it with the radiator cap off until all the air bubbled out. Mine had a lot of air in the system and it had gotten trapped in the heater core, but after it works great. Don't know if this is the case with yours but could be.
this goes back to cheking if both hoses are hot when at operating temp if not then this could be the problem also if both hoses are not getting hot try flushing the new heater core
poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
USMCGunrock0811

Bronco Info: '92 302 XLT. A work in progress. "The Moneypit"
Quote:
x2...it has happened to me
USMCGunrock0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
SVTGhoust

Quote:
This did the trick. thanks for all the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech