Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Home Made Projects or tools

167K views 157 replies 64 participants last post by  pfun41 
#1 ·
I thought i saw it in a string here but can not find now. i thread of home made projects or tools I almost trusting my welding so i want to do some things on a bigger level. i been looking at hose hangers and reels for awhile and decided it would be a good self project. i found some scrap 1"X1" tube. i made this holder it has a foot level with the ground (i thinking of removing the decor rock so i went to true groound so i would not have to fix later)

this is with a 75' hose on it. it will hold 200' worth.

This has welded caps on the top of the tubes. this went better than i thought so ---project 2 a extension cord and air hose holder. this was out of some scrap too. i wish the back was talller to allow more space between rows but it works fine. the front stops are not straight but as a welding project it was good too.

lets see some of the tools and or projects that been made to make our lives easier........mike

See less See more
#131 ·
I decided today was the day that I put some of my Fab must haves in the same spot and not hanging up on the floor. I cabbaged on to a very heavy duty chair base and I used some scraps that were just taking up space in the shop. but now my grinders are up and safe the welding helmet and face shield has a spot and my fan is not sitting in the floor waitng to fall over.

#134 ·
Made this crane up for my Bronco. Small truck crane with a 2000lb electric winch.

Made this one for use on my F250

#135 ·
Here is why I installed the crane in the Bronco.

#139 ·
I used to do a lot of steel forging, mostly for my knive smithing hobby. Here is the forge I eventually ended up making that worked the best.

Cinder block on a steel tray and frame. Air is privoded by a blower out of a furnace wired into a dimmer switch and plugged into the wall. Air is ducted in throught the bottom of the tray with alluminum clothes dryer vent hose. I mostly used hardwood soaked in used motor oil. (It was free and burned very well.) I evenutaully upgraded it to run on straight used motor oil. Clean burning and recycling, all in one.

Thats my anvil behind it. Just a piece of rail road track mounted to a hard maple log.

Attachments

#140 ·
I also built several of these babies. Just some laptop stands, for when you want to relax in your favorite sofa or easychair.

And this is just a rack I through together for my dad's woodshop. Its made from a couple of frames that would be used to ship kennel panels to the TSC store I worked for at the time. Worked great and help plenty of his favorite lumber pieces.

#143 ·
I like that forge idea! Probly gonna try that soon. I've got cynder blocks, a furnace blower, a dimmer switch, and some dryer hose just layin around so it was destined that I seen that post. I don't have a piece of railroad track, but I've got a one of the plates it sits on that'll probly work for my needs.

#144 ·
I like that forge idea! Probly gonna try that soon. I've got cinder blocks, a
furnace blower, a dimmer switch, and some dryer hose just layin around
so it was destined that I seen that post. I don't have a piece of railroad
track, but I've got a one of the {tie} plates it sits on that'll probly work for
my needs.
If you don't mind spending a little bit of money you can get some heavy
fireplace liner bricks and they won't crack on you. Or for more money you
can get various levels of light weight "insulated" firebricks. :)

Free on up.
Take your pick. ;)

The lightest ones feel like Styrofoam. The first time I picked one up bare
handed that was -yellow/orange- hot on one side, I turned the hot side
toward my face and it felt like I was about singe my doggone eyebrows
off. LOL :)

Cheaper but not as easy to use is Kaowool and then line it with some sort
of special plaster. That's even more heat efficient. The more efficient you
get the hotter your forge can get, so it's quicker and easier to forge, but
with the wool and plaster liner you can forge-weld even. :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Really cool, Steve... :)

#145 ·
#146 ·
Something I made for my Dad's 250 Ozark. It doesn't come with any kind of hitch and we needed a good place to pull from other than the rack. You can buy bolt on trailer hitches for 50$ but that's no fun and Id rather build it anyway. Its made from some scrap metal and 2 exhaust clamps. It bolts onto the axle tube and has a hole for a shackle.

After the first ride. The paint scraped off from the shackle and flash rusted, but it worked great.

#148 ·
Lately I've been having to move alot of riding mowers that for some reason or another can't be driven. Doing this with one person is a royal PITA so I made this:

It's made entirely out of pieces I already had, front wheels from a Murray, axle from a mower transaxle, metal from old excercise equipment, a winch that was broken and doing nothing.
It works a couple different ways. With the original design you unhitched it and placed the pins on the end under the frame or hitch of a mower. When you push the front of the bar down to hitch it it lifts the end of the mower off the ground so it can be towed. While this worked it was a bit of a pain. mainly because you have to push the end of the bar down and simultaniously move the whole thing forward to hitch it. Its tends to be a bit difficult with a full size rider on there, so I added the winch. With the winch I just back up to the mower, stick the hook on and crank it up. I usually tow mowers facing forward but this is what I do when I have a stubborn hydro that doesn't like to freewheel.

I made the tow bar first And then Had to figure out how to hook it to my mower.

The trailer hitch is mounted where a cart would usually attach and I needed to keep that. I took a standard sears attachment mount from a parts mower and welded in a piece of metal from a murray seat mount to make a second hitch for my tow bar.

#149 ·
Here's a little something I've been meaning to get to for a while. I spent more time on making this than just buying a new one, but I'm not the type to be wasteful & just throw things away like so many do today...

Have you ever had one of the $2 Harbor Freight adjustable clamps? They are a pretty good bang for your buck! Until they do what HF stuff is known for & break. Like this...

I was bummed when using my clamp one night & it kept slipping due to being broken. It was about that time that I saw this little hunk of scrap steel that seemed to be of useful shape & size.

A little time on the mill, then with the port-a-band & welder & walah - fixed!

#150 ·
come along hoist winch, mad it in my manufacturing course

#152 ·
I've used both pro-tools and JD2 nothers and they both work well. I've used multiple models from each brand over the last 12 years or so and both seem about the same quality. I'd look at either one of those and choose which one will handle a 2.5" hole saw. I don't think the basic model of either brand goes that big (I think they max out about 2").

The Baleigh and JMR notchers both look very nice as wll, but the price tags get pretty dang heavy with them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.