Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Possible to fit ATV in back?

16K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  jamlam1 
#1 ·
Hey, I currently have a F150, but really have always loved broncos and everything about them... and if/when I blow this truck up that might be my next buy. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done or seen an ATV fit in the back of one with the cap off and I guess rear seat removed. I go riding a lot and being able to haul my quad without having to drag behind a trailer would be awesome. If I got one I'd probably just soft-top it anyway, and takin the rear seat out for good or on occasion wouldn't really matter. Just for size reference I have a 400ex. I know i've seen someone with a dirtbike in the back of one, but never seen a quad.

#4 ·
How would you plan on getting it up in there? I have a soft top and would not be able to ride a quad up in. Nor would my tailgate hold the weight. between the wheelwells is 4' and you've got about 6' to work with, so I can see one fitting easy enough, it's just getting it in there, especially with any lift.

#5 ·
Well I have a couple of wood ramps and I just ride it into the back of my truck no problem... but then again thats an 8foot bed. And I guess the wheel wells on the bronco would be closer in than my truck, so that would be a pain to probably work around.

#8 ·
wheelwells would be the same....fullsize truck allows a sheet of plywood or drywall to lay flat between the wheelwell (need a good 48").

tailgate is said to only hold about 300lbs safely. You could probably beef the cables and have it hold closer to 500lbs, who knows. You'd need the top off though to ride it up in there.

#13 ·
As others have said, you should be able to but you'll have to work for it. In my case it was a Honduh 250EX and to make it fit we just had to loosen and roll the handlebars down and flatten the tires. Of course this was with the back seat removed but I was able to even close the tailgate and have the back window up.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone, I get the picture. Was mainly just curious for if/when I step into the Bronco world... For now I'm just thankful to have an 8foot bed haha. Even with a rollbar in the back can manage to fit two 400's with one stood up and the tailgate dropped (and a handful of ratchet straps). Thanks for the input everyone, definitely appreciate it.

#17 ·
you can make anything fit anywhere.....:rockon

as for getting it in there....was a time when I could put a riding lawn mower or ATV up in the back of a truck lifting the front end up on the tailgate then lifting and pushing from the back....

If I tried that now my nuts would fall off......:haha

#18 ·
i would prob fit w the seat removed if a dirtbike can fit then a quad could bikes are longer....look at the pic with the blaster and add a good 6-8 inches in length with the 400 though. Are the wheelwells that much narrower on the bronco then the F150? I used to get my 450R in the back of my Quad Cab Dakota between the wheelwells no problem but the tires stuck out about 6 inches onto the tailgate.

#20 ·
well whats the width on your raptor from outside tire to outside tire and from the front to back in the longest part?

Edit: raptor 700 specs. L x W x H 72.6 x 46.1 x 44.5 in (pulled from Here)

ill go measure the back of my bronco for ya... nothing better to do

#22 ·
OK so my bko measures

70" long from seat to tailgate
63" wide at tailgate
35.5" tall at tailgate...

so if you were to deflate the front and rear tires and take the top off (or fold the bars) it should fit.... but i have not tried.... maybe i can load up the G/F's rap 700 and see how the fit is sometime... and also i would recommend beefing up the tailgate cables....

#25 ·
Straight out of my '86 owners manual, page 102

"The tailgate load should not exceed 500lbs."

As long as the tailgate is strapped down so it doesn't bounce around, I wouldn't worry about it.

How much does that quad weigh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.