Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Electrical issues

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  miesk5 
#1 ·
With the Bronco running, I turn on the headlights and the warning chime starts sounding, until the bright lights are turned on. Also, the power door locks work to lock the doors but when you unlock them only the drivers door unlocks until you turn the lights off and pull the headlight switch back on.

#3 ·
:rolleyes: That's confusing, on top of being pointless. :scratchhe Without knowing ANYTHING about the truck, how do you expect us to help you? Click this, read the WHOLE caption, and then fill in both your profile & signature with ALL the truck's details.

With the Bronco running, I turn on the headlights and the warning chime starts sounding, until the bright lights are turned on.
Are you saying it does something different when the engine ISN'T running? What, exactly? And what happens when the brights come on: does the chime stop, or just get quieter?
Also, the power door locks work to lock the doors but when you unlock them only the drivers door unlocks until you turn the lights off and pull the headlight switch back on.
So after you turn the lights off & on, the driver's door re-locks itself? :shrug

#4 ·
Sorry for the lack of clarity, I'll attempt to paint a clearer picture.
What I've got is a '94 Eddie Bauer with a 302 and an E40D and whatever else comes with that package. Bought this about 3 years ago, knowing that the motor was shot. Dropped in a Jasper motor that has turned out well. Certainly not a powerhouse, but it has been mechanically reliable. Just after getting the truck back on the road, I found that when the headlights were turned on, even with the engine running, the warning chime would sound. I could get the chime to stop by turning on the brights. This only happened a couple of times, and then the symptoms stayed away for better than 2 years.
Last week, on the way to work one morning, the chime sounded off again, and I also noticed the voltmeter twitching, but was able to get to work. That evening while driving, the chime started up again, I went to the brights, but saw some smoke coming out of the dash. Turned off the headlights, turned on the flashers to limp home. I have taken everything out of the dash, looking for something to be charred, but haven't found anything burned. I've replaced the light switch, but the chime persists. Also, now when pulling the light switch to the first detent, the parking lights and tail lights don't come on. Pulling the switch all the way out turns the head lights on, but not the tail or parking lights. Pushing the switch back in to between all the way out and the first detent turns on the tail and parking lights. The power door locks have also gotten flaky in all of this.
Thanks for your time and any ideas.

#5 ·
That evening while driving, the chime started up again, I went to the brights, but saw some smoke coming out of the dash. Turned off the headlights, turned on the flashers to limp home. I have taken everything out of the dash, looking for something to be charred, but haven't found anything burned.
You have a short going on... It can be difficult to find and frustrating. As for not finding anything charred. look again! You may not find any black or even discolored wire or connectors so you'll need to examine it all closely for other signs such as bubbling of the insulation or "uneven" insulation.

If all else fails, try to recreate the symptoms with the dash off so you can watch to see where the smoke comes from.

If you do see smoke but can't pinpoint the origin, feel for hot wire and then start tracing that circuit.

#6 ·
yo
The warning chime/buzzer module produces a repetitive chime or steady buzzing sound for the following conditions:

Key-in-ignition warning with driver's door open.
Fasten safety belt warning.
Headlamp-on warning (available on some models).

The warning chime/buzzer sounds when the headlamp switch is in PARK or HEAD and the driver's door is open, and continues to sound until the headlamp switch is moved to OFF or the door is closed. When the headlamp switch is in PARK or HEAD, power is supplied through Circuit 14 (BR) to the module. When the driver's door is open, the driver's door lamp switch (13713) is closed and power is supplied to the module through Circuit 159 (R/PK)

See attached 96 Warning Chime/Buzzer System Wiring Diagram
should be = to your years

&

Headlamp Switch Connector
Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
B1 38 (BK/O) Headlamp Switch Feed from Fuse Panel
B2 195 (T/W) Headlamp Switch Feed
I 294 (W/LB) Fused Accy Feed No. 3
IGN 137 (Y/BK) Radio Switch Feed
R 14 (BR) Headlamps ON Signal to Chime/Buzzer
H 15 (R/Y) Headlamp Dimmer Switch Feed
DN 484 (O/BK) Audio Liquid Crystal Display
D1 54 (LG/Y) Interior Lamp Switch Feed
D2 55 (BK/PK)
706 (GY)a Cargo Lamp Switch to Cargo Lamp
Battery Saver Feed

a Remote keyless entry only.

Warning Chime/Buzzer Module Connector
K20261-C below
Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
1 14 (BR) Headlamps ON Signal to Chime/Buzzer
2 159 (R/PK) Driver Door Courtesy Lamp Switch to Chime/Buzzer
3 85 (BR/LB) Safety Belt Switch to Chime/Buzzer
4 158 (BK/PK) Key-in-Ignition Switch to Chime/Buzzer
5 57 (BK) Ground Circuit
6 450 (DG/LG) Safety Belt Warning Indicator Lamp Feed
7 640 (R/Y) Warning Lamps Feed

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.